The 2021 Great Big Consolidated Trade & Draft thread

This is a Collingwood Bulletin Board - use this forum for general, Pies-related topics. For other footy topics, use Nick's Other AFL forum, and for non-footy sporting topics please use Nick's Sports Bar. For non-sporting topics please use the Victoria Park Tavern.

Moderator: bbmods

MJ23

Post by MJ23 »

piffdog wrote:
MJ23 wrote:Tom wilson - having not played for around 5 yrs, just had the two years in the system. 24yr old 195cm player who in just his 2nd year racks up over 30 possessions a game in the VFL. Is a list clogged.

Bit harsh.

If he is then Kreuger is.
Maybe...

I havent seen Kreuger play at all, but at least he couldnt get a game and excel down at the Cattery behind a fairly good team. I'm happy to be proven wrong - but we all like to make these types of predictions dont we?
True
I think he still has upside - still might not be enough to make it. Id like to see him in the middle or wing in the VFL
"Even when Im old and gray, I wont be able to play but Ill still love the game"
Michael Jordan
WhyPhilWhy?
Has liked: 25 times
Been liked: 25 times

Post by WhyPhilWhy? »

Pies2016
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 90 times

Post by Pies2016 »

Rd10.1998_11.1#36
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 5 times

Post by Rd10.1998_11.1#36 »

piffdog wrote:Tom Wilson - another list clogger. If his career gets to double digit games I will be amazed. Havent seen anything in his four games to suggest he has what it takes. Only savour is I am sure he would be on minimum wage)
Of course he would. And he’s a Cat B rookie. And he’s contracted until the end of 2022

Don’t get why people waste their time hating on guys who aren’t taking up list spots and aren’t making any difference to the cap
piffdog
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 38 times

Post by piffdog »

Rd10.1998_11.1#36 wrote:
piffdog wrote:Tom Wilson - another list clogger. If his career gets to double digit games I will be amazed. Havent seen anything in his four games to suggest he has what it takes. Only savour is I am sure he would be on minimum wage)
Of course he would. And he’s a Cat B rookie. And he’s contracted until the end of 2022

Don’t get why people waste their time hating on guys who aren’t taking up list spots and aren’t making any difference to the cap
While you make a fair point about his rookie status on the list (one I hadnt considered) you're kind of excusing him as if to say "well he's not part of the real squad anyway...". In fairness there are probably other players who wont make it who are taking up "real" list spots and maybe we should "hate" on them instead.

I do just feel like there could be some other inexpensive, "non-real-list-spot-taking" unknown rookie out there who has yet been given a chance. He is still part of the team. I'm just saying I think i have seen enough (rightly or wrongly) to say I dont think he'll make it, so move him on and lets see what else we can uncover.
It's never as good/nor bad as it seems...
Boogie Knights

Post by Boogie Knights »

Tom Wilson was a highly regarded junior footy player before giving it away for basketball. Coming back to footy after a few years away, it was always going to take some time to get back up to speed.

With respect to the other potential cat B possibilities whom we have absolutely no idea about due to what cat B eligibility actually is, I think Wilson is about as good an option as you will find.

Imagine Nathan Murphy had gone the other way and chosen cricket (like Alex Keath did), then having been removed from the AFL system for long enough to become cat B rookie eligible, he decided to come back. Would you consider him a good option for that spot?

AFL is a rapidly changing game and unless you have continued involvement in the elite programs, you will fall behind. Wilson has been catching up just fine in my opinion and will only get better.
inxs88
Been liked: 4 times

Post by inxs88 »

Boogie Knights wrote:Tom Wilson was a highly regarded junior footy player before giving it away for basketball. Coming back to footy after a few years away, it was always going to take some time to get back up to speed.

With respect to the other potential cat B possibilities whom we have absolutely no idea about due to what cat B eligibility actually is, I think Wilson is about as good an option as you will find.

Imagine Nathan Murphy had gone the other way and chosen cricket (like Alex Keath did), then having been removed from the AFL system for long enough to become cat B rookie eligible, he decided to come back. Would you consider him a good option for that spot?

AFL is a rapidly changing game and unless you have continued involvement in the elite programs, you will fall behind. Wilson has been catching up just fine in my opinion and will only get better.
Murphy plays like he has been prioritising cricket the last 3 years
I love the Pies, hate Carlscum
Boogie Knights

Post by Boogie Knights »

inxs88 wrote:
Murphy plays like he has been prioritising cricket the last 3 years
Yes, perhaps not the best example, but the point is that if you can cat B rookie list someone who grew up playing the game (and was highly regarded), they have a better chance of success than an American, Irishman, or <insert other sport here> player. (that sounds like the beginning of a joke)
piffdog
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 38 times

Post by piffdog »

Boogie Knights wrote:Tom Wilson was a highly regarded junior footy player before giving it away for basketball. Coming back to footy after a few years away, it was always going to take some time to get back up to speed.

Yep - fair cop. All eyes on the guy this year (2022) with hopefully a less interrupted VFL to a) develop and b) make a case for another run in the 1's
It's never as good/nor bad as it seems...
SteveH67

Post by SteveH67 »

Have we re-signed Coxy yet?

I thought he was done post-season, but with Lynch gone, he needs to stay.
Social club member 7342 since 2000.
Uncle Jack

Post by Uncle Jack »

Can someone clarify for me please? Is there not an incentive for North Melbourne to bid on Daicos and Darcy as the loss of points in having their pick 1 become pick 3 would be balanced by their following picks being compensated and moving up the order?
Pies4shaw
Has liked: 61 times
Been liked: 97 times

Post by Pies4shaw »

^ The problem with picking a player is that you might end up with them. There's no merit in doing that if you've decided you want someone else.
jackcass

Post by jackcass »

Uncle Jack wrote:Can someone clarify for me please? Is there not an incentive for North Melbourne to bid on Daicos and Darcy as the loss of points in having their pick 1 become pick 3 would be balanced by their following picks being compensated and moving up the order?
Might be the case if we retained our 1st round picks but as things currently stand North's 2nd actual pick (20) is prior to either the Doggies or our actual 1st pick in the draft. With their later picks, our picks in the same region will ultimately be gone whether we match their bid at 1 or another at 2 or 3 so makes little difference to them. Their concern will be the potential for us to trade back into early rounds post matching a Daicos bid, and bidding on Daicos doesn't change that potential.
Last edited by jackcass on Mon Oct 25, 2021 12:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Lazza

Post by Lazza »

Pies4shaw wrote:^ The problem with picking a player is that you might end up with them. There's no merit in doing that if you've decided you want someone else.
Sorry but I don’t fully get this. Unless it is to do with much later picks, wouldn’t the player you bid for and end up with, be a player who is very highly rated to demand a relatively high draft pick? In other words, the chances of you getting a spud would be very low I would have thought. I realise that you take the risk of not getting the player you wanted but them’s the breaks with risk management strategies. Win, lose or draw.
Don't confuse your current path with your final destination. Just because it's dark and stormy now doesn't meant that you aren't headed for glorious sunshine!
Pies4shaw
Has liked: 61 times
Been liked: 97 times

Post by Pies4shaw »

Why take the risk if (as I've already said) "you've decided you want someone else"? Imagine the uproar on here if we had a crack at somebody else's father/son with our pick one and ended up with that player when we just thought we were being "smart". And don't kid yourself that all "top" picks are equal. It's not that long ago that St Kilda took McCartin and left Melbourne with the Petracca dregs - how's that looking?