The 2021 Great Big Consolidated Trade & Draft thread

This is a Collingwood Bulletin Board - use this forum for general, Pies-related topics. For other footy topics, use Nick's Other AFL forum, and for non-footy sporting topics please use Nick's Sports Bar. For non-sporting topics please use the Victoria Park Tavern.

Moderator: bbmods

Tanuki

Post by Tanuki »

Pies have chosen to not nominate Dib.
magpieazza

Post by magpieazza »

Im a bit surprised the club chose to not nominate Dib as NGA.
He was rated in team of the year at one stage so Im a little bemused that the club didnt keep the option open. I mean we could have picked him up for peanuts...idk. must be something in it.
Carpe diem quam minimum credula postero.
MJ23

Post by MJ23 »

Tanuki wrote:Pies have chosen to not nominate Dib.
My guess its about protecting picks / points
If a club selects him between 20-40 they know now they will have to take him. They may want him so be it.
If they didnt really want him and were forcing us into a potential deficit next year or to lose a pick before their next it sends a message.

I wouldn't be surprised if we dont take him with a later pick
"Even when Im old and gray, I wont be able to play but Ill still love the game"
Michael Jordan
Hitchhiker

Post by Hitchhiker »

Interesting, I'm not sure exactly how this works

If the pies had nominated him, would they then be forced to draft him (given no other club had bid on him)?

There's talk the pies are looking to trade back into this years draft, maybe they think the picks they'll get will be higher than where they rate Dib
MJ23

Post by MJ23 »

^ could very well be part of it as well
Michael Jordan
piffdog
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 38 times

Post by piffdog »

MJ23 wrote:
Tanuki wrote:Pies have chosen to not nominate Dib.
My guess its about protecting picks / points
If a club selects him between 20-40 they know now they will have to take him. They may want him so be it.
If they didnt really want him and were forcing us into a potential deficit next year or to lose a pick before their next it sends a message.

I wouldn't be surprised if we dont take him with a later pick
I think you have it here. If we nominate him then others know how we will have to react at any stage in the draft. Maybe we stil lend up picking the guy, but its an untainted selection at the stage in the draft we think appropriate. If someone rates him higher then best wishes and we move on.
It's never as good/nor bad as it seems...
Pies2016
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 90 times

Post by Pies2016 »

You will never get a better chance to pluck a Smokey from a draft than to call out a Vic kid who won’t have played more than seven NAB Cup games in the last two years. There’s also been more injuries than ever in the U19 comp on the back of an interrupted preseason due to Covid. I’m hoping we can get back in before the thirties and add one more decent pick in along with Daicos.
Anything outside of that would be an absolute bonus.
Gary Player “ the harder I practice, the luckier I get “
Charlie Oneeye
Has liked: 23 times
Been liked: 15 times

Post by Charlie Oneeye »

Just the fact that he was training with us, I thought he may have potential.

Other than that, I didn't see any reason to rate him as a selection at all. To me he looked at best average across the 2 teams playing.

If we take other interstate teams onto account, etc that would rate him outside the top 100.

As subjective as it gets, from my sofa, I didn't see any particular attribute stand out.
Charlie Oneeye
Has liked: 23 times
Been liked: 15 times

Post by Charlie Oneeye »

Aiden Begg on the other hand, I reckon we are going to love this kid.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nc9zpmpQFq8

Right at the start, 4 second mark. In that instant, his hair and stride looks like :

Ben Brown

Go Pies !
Pies2016
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 90 times

Post by Pies2016 »

Charlie Oneeye wrote:Aiden Begg on the other hand, I reckon we are going to love this kid.

Right at the start, 4 second mark. In that instant, his hair and stride looks like :

Ben Brown

Go Pies !

Grown another 3cm since we first recruited him. He’s now around 200cm
MJ23

Post by MJ23 »

Pies2016 wrote:
Charlie Oneeye wrote:Aiden Begg on the other hand, I reckon we are going to love this kid.

Ben Brown

Go Pies !

Grown another 3cm since we first recruited him. He’s now around 200cm
Yep, I think he'd have gone very early in this draft if we didn't take him mid season.
Could very well be the forward we have been looking for. Just needs some time.
Michael Jordan
think better
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 26 times

Post by think better »

jackcass wrote:Cox extending confirmed….

https://www.collingwoodfc.com.au/news/1 ... on-for-one
Really pleased to see this - he works hard on his game and if his mojo is up he can tears games apart.
I think therefore I think - I think
Lazza

Post by Lazza »

think better wrote:

Really pleased to see this - he works hard on his game and if his mojo is up he can tears games apart.
He needs to be far more consistent and make his presence felt.

Also on another point regarding Dib, there have been many players picked up in previous drafts by other clubs and not by the club they trained at.
Don't confuse your current path with your final destination. Just because it's dark and stormy now doesn't meant that you aren't headed for glorious sunshine!
think better
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 26 times

Post by think better »

Lazza wrote:
think better wrote:

Yep couldn't agree more. I have a personal theory that his 'football maturity' trajectory is similar to a 23 or 24 year old tall player who has played a lot of footy in their younger years. I think he may well get better in the next year or so and bring more consistency to his game.
I think therefore I think - I think
Podpicken

Post by Podpicken »

think better wrote:
Lazza wrote:
think better wrote: Really pleased to see this - he works hard on his game and if his mojo is up he can tears games apart.
Yep couldn't agree more. I have a personal theory that his 'football maturity' trajectory is similar to a 23 or 24 year old tall player who has played a lot of footy in their younger years. I think he may well get better in the next year or so and bring more consistency to his game.
I wouldn't be surprised if the giant Texan kicks 40+ this year. He needs a big pre-season
Billy Picken, the great No. 25 in the sky!