#2 Jordan De Goey

This is a Collingwood Bulletin Board - use this forum for general, Pies-related topics. For other footy topics, use Nick's Other AFL forum, and for non-footy sporting topics please use Nick's Sports Bar. For non-sporting topics please use the Victoria Park Tavern.

Moderator: bbmods

RudeBoy
Been liked: 76 times

Post by RudeBoy »

think positive wrote:
Skids wrote:How much more is there to add to this, really?

It's over for JDG, not everyone with ability has the required application to be a career footy player, Jordy obviously falls into that group.

We've got a bloke who just started working with us, he's a hell of a nice bloke, for an electrician.
He's also the only WA Under 18's Captain to have never been drafted.

Was spotted out on the piss the night before the U18's GF. As he says, he'd rather enjoy life with his mates that go through the hard yakka to be an AFL player. It's not an easy gig.

I feel for JDG, under the spotlight with a million critics who are all so perfect. Move on, he's not part of the clubs future, get over it.
I feel for the woman who will never forget the dickhead who grabbed her Dutch, who will probably never dance with abandon again because of it, I feel for the guy that was punched and kicked by De Goey,

For DeGoey I feel a white hot anger that he did this, blew his chances, blew our chances, and pissed in the face of the club that defended him and gave him way too many chances.
Well said TP.
Skids
Has liked: 26 times
Been liked: 37 times

Post by Skids »

You do know his mate may have been the main offender and he's only guilty of association? I'm not cordoning his actions, just stating the obvious, he hasn't got the right attitude to be an AFL player.
Don't count the days, make the days count.
ANNODAM
Has liked: 21 times
Been liked: 33 times

Post by ANNODAM »

burnsy17 wrote:I’m not sure who the **** this imbecile thinks he is.

Cruising around a nightclub in a hotel robe with his bogan mate.

You’re not James Harden or some rapper. You’re a bogan sportsperson in a sport only played in one $$%^%%$ country. Basically, you’re a no one!!

I’m not sure how idiots like him get through life to be honest.

Come on, let’s face facts here, some footballers we know are dumb as dog shit.
We at CFC it seems, have had more than our fair share over the years.
WE WERE ROBBED, RIGHT IN FRONT OF ME, RIGHT IN FRONT OF MEEE!

N.Y METS, N.Y GIANTS, PENRITH PANTHERS & HOBART HURRICANES FAN.

WE ALL LOOK GOOD AT TRAINING, IT'S THE MATCHES THAT COUNT!
doriswilgus
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 21 times

Post by doriswilgus »

MJ23 wrote:
doriswilgus wrote:What a disaster..But in retrospect letting him loose on America on his own like that was always fraught with danger.He was always a ticking time bomb just waiting to blow up and that’s exactly what happened on the week end.

I wonder how Hine feels,seeing yet another of his first round picks blow up in his face?Let’s look at his score card over the last 7 or 8 years

Scharanberg ( injuries,no return on investment)
Freeman ( injuries,ditto)
Stephenson ( no character,no return on investment)
Degoey( bad character,no return on investment)

Honestly what does this man ask these people when he interviews them before the draft?He seems like a bad judge of talent to me and an even worse judge of character.

Enough is enough.He’s done enough damage to this club already.It’s time to move him along with his latest failed draft pick.
Yep, surely he's asking potential draftee's if they intend on getting injured or not !!!
What about the character issues though?Three of his top draft picks,DeGoey,Stephenson,and Sier as well,have all failed the character test.None of them had the character,the drive,or the dedication to make it as A.F.L players.That’s a searing indictment on Hine’s judgment as a recruiter.
BazBoy
Been liked: 35 times

Post by BazBoy »

Better choice of company may not be high on De Goey,s list of important things
But history has him making errors off his own

We will have to bide time to his court case and it’s subsequent outcome

Would the club go to the effort and cost to send the clubs legal people to NYC

Time will tell
I'm not arguing--just explaining why i am right
Pies2016
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 95 times

Post by Pies2016 »

doriswilgus wrote:What a disaster..But in retrospect letting him loose on America on his own like that was always fraught with danger.He was always a ticking time bomb just waiting to blow up and that’s exactly what happened on the week end.

I wonder how Hine feels,seeing yet another of his first round picks blow up in his face?Let’s look at his score card over the last 7 or 8 years

Honestly what does this man ask these people when he interviews them before the draft?He seems like a bad judge of talent to me and an even worse judge of character.

Enough is enough.He’s done enough damage to this club already.It’s time to move him along with his latest failed draft pick.
I can promise you, these kids, their friends and family are profiled to within inch short of breaching privacy laws. Collingwood does it as extensively as any other club. Hines job is to identify the best 17 year old talents in the country and that’s exactly what he did in identifying those two. How many red flags do you expect to find with seventeen year olds who can’t yet legally drive or get into the clubs. It’s also extremely difficult to profile a 17 year old as having issues with alcohol. And you can’t profile kids as to how they will or won’t handle the fame that comes with being an easily recognised sports personality three years on.
The selections were hardly the problem because both Stephenson and DeGoey are elite talents when they are switched on and focussed.
In DeGoeys case, the club has brought this on themselves. He is a serial offender but the clubs previous long time decision makers were happy to enable him rather than show him either the door or some serious tough love.

Ask yourself the same standard question. Would the successful clubs have hung onto him as long as we have ? DeGoeys biggest problem is his future now lies in hands of McRae and Wright and co and that’s a very different collective to the ones who oversaw his previous indiscretions.
MatthewBoydFanClub
Been liked: 1 time

Post by MatthewBoydFanClub »

Pies2016 wrote:

I can promise you, these kids, their friends and family are profiled to within inch short of breaching privacy laws. Collingwood does it as extensively as any other club. Hines job is to identify the best 17 year old talents in the country and that’s exactly what he did in identifying those two. How many red flags do you expect to find with seventeen year olds who can’t yet legally drive or get into the clubs. It’s also extremely difficult to profile a 17 year old as having issues with alcohol. And you can’t profile kids as to how they will or won’t handle the fame that comes with being an easily recognised sports personality three years on.
The selections were hardly the problem because both Stephenson and DeGoey are elite talents when they are switched on and focussed.
In DeGoeys case, the club has brought this on themselves. He is a serial offender but the clubs previous long time decision makers were happy to enable him rather than show him either the door or some serious tough love.

Ask yourself the same standard question. Would the successful clubs have hung onto him as long as we have ? DeGoeys biggest problem is his future now lies in hands of McRae and Wright and co and that’s a very different collective to the ones who oversaw his previous indiscretions.
Just to add to what you're saying, my understanding is the same draft as the Scharenberg/ Freeman draft, the club was planning to use it's first draft pick on Marcus Bontempelli and was planning to call out Christian Salem's name at the draft pick they chose Freeman when they were outflanked by Melbourne having the previous pick. True this draft turned out a disaster but what is Derek Hine supposed to do when other clubs get in first? The true mistake in this draft as I recall is that they overlooked Patrick Cripps, who they thought was too slow to adapt to AFL.
didick

Post by didick »

BazBoy wrote:Better choice of company may not be high on De Goey,s list of important things
But history has him making errors off his own

We will have to bide time to his court case and it’s subsequent outcome

Would the club go to the effort and cost to send the clubs legal people to NYC

Time will tell
Why should our club, use our membership dollars, to assist him? He’s there by himself, in his own (in)capacity. Let him sort it out himself.
"The night is a very dark time for me" Chaz Michael Michaels
princem007

Post by princem007 »

JDG pleaded not guilty . I guess he is innocent until proven guilty.

You would imagine the venue would have footage ?

Regardless such a dumb and stupid thing to do to put himself in this situation.

If he is found not guilty by courts I would expect he would be banned for at least half a season internally.

Should he be offered another contract, surely not the million a year with his track record ?
Go Pies...Premiers 2010
David
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 37 times

Post by David »

Last edited by David on Mon Nov 01, 2021 1:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"Every time we witness an injustice and do not act, we train our character to be passive in its presence." – Julian Assange
Pies2016
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 95 times

Post by Pies2016 »

MatthewBoydFanClub wrote:
Pies2016 wrote:

Just to add to what you're saying, my understanding is the same draft as the Scharenberg/ Freeman draft, the club was planning to use it's first draft pick on Marcus Bontempelli and was planning to call out Christian Salem's name at the draft pick they chose Freeman when they were outflanked by Melbourne having the previous pick. True this draft turned out a disaster but what is Derek Hine supposed to do when other clubs get in first? The true mistake in this draft as I recall is that they overlooked Patrick Cripps, who they thought was too slow to adapt to AFL.
At the risk of getting off track, it’s true about them preferring Salem. Both Freeman and Salem were team mates at the Dragons and blind Freddy could see Salem was a better player. The Dees picked him at 9 and we were left with being seduced by Freeman’s pace at 10. In hindsight, Cripps was a “ mistake “ but I think he went at 13, so we obviously weren’t the only ones who undervalued him.
maurs64

Post by maurs64 »

What's the odds of this turning into an episode of SVU?
MJ23

Post by MJ23 »

doriswilgus wrote:
MJ23 wrote:

Yep, surely he's asking potential draftee's if they intend on getting injured or not !!!
What about the character issues though?Three of his top draft picks,DeGoey,Stephenson,and Sier as well,have all failed the character test.None of them had the character,the drive,or the dedication to make it as A.F.L players.That’s a searing indictment on Hine’s judgment as a recruiter.
Sier a pick 35...Character issues......Really ???
"Even when Im old and gray, I wont be able to play but Ill still love the game"
Michael Jordan
Magpietothemax
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 15 times

Post by Magpietothemax »

jackcass wrote:Happy to await the outcome of the court hearings to ascertain who did what to whom before jumping to too many overly emotive reactions. Anything beyond that will be dictated by those outcomes.
Exactly. He is entitled to the presumption of innocence. I find it distasteful that so many have turned this basic legal principle upside down and assumed that he is guilty of all charges before any kind of legal process has occurred. Some of the posts here conjure up the atmosphere of lynch mob hysteria. I agree with David's comment: it seems that in order to "prove" that one's own morals are above reproach, it is necessary to condemn the alleged perpetrator to eternal pariahood, and even before his actual guilt is established. I also agree with David's comment that "cancel culture" is not the way forward. I just hope that whatever the outcome, decisions on De Goey's future will be made by the club in a calm, rational manner, and away from the hyped up frenzy that is being incited by the media and, unfortunately, bitterly disappointed Collignwood supporters.
Free Julian Assange!!
Ice in the veins
swoop42
Been liked: 3 times

Post by swoop42 »

Perhaps de Goey can use the "Australian" defence.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-vVGdwgakOE
He's mad. He's bad. He's MaynHARD!