#2 Jordan De Goey

This is a Collingwood Bulletin Board - use this forum for general, Pies-related topics. For other footy topics, use Nick's Other AFL forum, and for non-footy sporting topics please use Nick's Sports Bar. For non-sporting topics please use the Victoria Park Tavern.

Moderator: bbmods

BazBoy
Been liked: 35 times

Post by BazBoy »

I would say if one went back thru AFL / VFL history of players behaviour there would be found some otherwise undisclosed bad behaviour mainly due to less
public exposure

Players today have little chance to avoid things they do away from clubs

But a sensationalist media is right onto bad stuff cos there is some form of profit both money and ratings

But it’s unbalanced as the good things they do are perceived by media as not profitable

JDG has regressed in an era that is open via social media and his actions fodder for media frenzy

That said there are most likely 900 AFL players out there in the same walk on egg shell environment
I'm not arguing--just explaining why i am right
eddiesmith
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 16 times

Post by eddiesmith »

MJ23 wrote:
RudeBoy wrote:
Cam wrote:My guess is the charges are dropped and it doesn't even go to court. That's a pretty exclusive party I would have thought, one can only imagine what else goes on there.
I hope you're right Cam. Luckily the guy who was apparently hit and kicked did not require any medical attention, which suggests the incident may not have been as bad as reported. At the end of the day, De Goey is a dickhead, but he's our dickhead.
There was a story going round yesterday, from a supposed insider. Degoey went up to the women and started dancing with her - her boyfriend didn't like it and threw punches at Degoey and thats what started it. The girl then said to police Degoey touched her to justify him getting involved.

I didnt read much into it however with the charges dropped re the assault on the women.............

Again, report said "all were intoxicated" and no-one sought medical treatment.

Im not happy Degoey is putting himself in these situations. I did say from the start as did a handfull of others, Ill wait to see the full story.
Seems to be closest to the truth, much more than the condemnation that occurred by so many over the original charge which has now been dropped.

No surprise to see instead of admitting they were wrong, most people will double down and claim she was paid off… :roll:
think positive
Has liked: 237 times
Been liked: 89 times

Post by think positive »

Pies2016 wrote:
RudeBoy wrote:Just remember folks.......most young footballers are dickheads. All a club can do is try to provide an environment where they are mentored and given the opportunity to grow and become better versions of themselves. It ain't easy, but it's all we can do.
R B, the problem I have with all this, is that we just finished 17th.
We all want success and the situation he found himself doesn’t sound like someone who is committed to playing his part.
McRae would have called a player meeting weeks ago and talked about how do we get better. The players would have parroted “ we need to drive better standards if we want to climb the ladder “
There’s a collective standard that everyone is required to hold themselves to and that everyone promises each other to uphold ( and that doesn’t include not having any fun ) It sounds corny but that’s how it works in elite environments and honouring those standards is the difference between 17th and success. We participate in an equalised competition as it is, so the moment you aren’t getting full buy in from one of your better players, you’re starting behind the eight ball.
He might go on and the win the Copeland from here and good on him if he does but right now he’s already made a mockery of everything the club had set out to achieve in preparation for 2022. Once again, for me, it’s not about the individual, it’s about the club.
I heard both Maynard and Howe interviewed and although the both reiterated their support for DeGoey, both of them used the word “ again “. He’s going to need to play some very good footy for a long while if he has any interest in winning back the players, let alone the club.
This all over, plus I’ll add the fact that covid has made our life hell for 2 years, and all footy players just got such a good deal. I. Very much in the how dare you camp, and alcohol is no excuse. What’s that saying, nothing is more honest than leggings and drunks.

Certainly he needs a dressing down and a dickhead clause, and the leadership group to come down hard on the no alcohol policy. If the club sacks him I would not blame them either.

And I tell you what when he cops the boos from opposition supporters, well, I won’t blame them at all. Yes I’m black and white through and through, but I’m also a mother of 2 daughters, and have a couple of nephews who would defend them with their lives.
You cant fix stupid, turns out you cant quarantine it either!
think positive

Post by think positive »

Culprit wrote:de Goey's Lawyer used to be Harvey Weinstein's lawyer, that says it all.
and p fricken Diddy,read about how they got him off of weapons charges. The assault charge will be gone by the end of the day. That doesn’t make him innocent. What about the other dude though? He got a court appointed lawyer.
BazBoy
Been liked: 35 times

Post by BazBoy »

I'm not arguing--just explaining why i am right
think positive

Post by think positive »

BazBoy wrote:I would say if one went back thru AFL / VFL history of players behaviour there would be found some otherwise undisclosed bad behaviour mainly due to less
public exposure

Players today have little chance to avoid things they do away from clubs

But a sensationalist media is right onto bad stuff cos there is some form of profit both money and ratings

But it’s unbalanced as the good things they do are perceived by media as not profitable

JDG has regressed in an era that is open via social media and his actions fodder for media frenzy

That said there are most likely 900 AFL players out there in the same walk on egg shell environment
Not a bad thing then. The old days were notorious for a reason. Any week you could go to the tunnel and see them in action. But it’s certainly not a bad thing that women are now supported in their wish yo go out, have a drink and a dance and yes even flirt, without being groped or verbally abused by drunken fools.

You only have to walk on egg shells if you have something to hide. JDG would be $6million richer in 5 or6 years time, be an absolute superstar I have no doubt. He put himself in thus position, no one else. No ones business what he does in his free time? Tell that to the sponsors. Or the mothers who buy their kids a new Guernsey for Christmas. Will he turn it around? Dont know dont care, but if he even gets the chance he’s one lucky bastard.
Mr Miyagi
Has liked: 60 times
Been liked: 124 times

Post by Mr Miyagi »

think positive wrote:
Culprit wrote:de Goey's Lawyer used to be Harvey Weinstein's lawyer, that says it all.
and p fricken Diddy,read about how they got him off of weapons charges. The assault charge will be gone by the end of the day. That doesn’t make him innocent. What about the other dude though? He got a court appointed lawyer.
So did the club pony up for Jordy’s lawyer? If Jordy paid for it out of his own pocket, you’d think he’d look after his best mate too. Dyson had to get a pro Bono court lawyer so he’s probably screwed.

Be nice if we knew why prosecutors dropped the touching charges. CCCTV, testimony, or just good defence lawyers?
jackcass

Post by jackcass »

Positive outcome the inappropriate touching charge has been dropped by police. While any assault isn’t justifiable, that was always the worst element of the alleged offenses.
lihei
Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 6 times

Post by lihei »

we await the next instalment from that ambulance chaser, Jon Ralph. #prick
Cancel the Cancel Culture.
RudeBoy
Been liked: 76 times

Post by RudeBoy »

Pies2016 wrote:
RudeBoy wrote:Just remember folks.......most young footballers are dickheads. All a club can do is try to provide an environment where they are mentored and given the opportunity to grow and become better versions of themselves. It ain't easy, but it's all we can do.
R B, the problem I have with all this, is that we just finished 17th.
We all want success and the situation he found himself doesn’t sound like someone who is committed to playing his part.
McRae would have called a player meeting weeks ago and talked about how do we get better. The players would have parroted “ we need to drive better standards if we want to climb the ladder “
There’s a collective standard that everyone is required to hold themselves to and that everyone promises each other to uphold ( and that doesn’t include not having any fun ) It sounds corny but that’s how it works in elite environments and honouring those standards is the difference between 17th and success. We participate in an equalised competition as it is, so the moment you aren’t getting full buy in from one of your better players, you’re starting behind the eight ball.
He might go on and the win the Copeland from here and good on him if he does but right now he’s already made a mockery of everything the club had set out to achieve in preparation for 2022. Once again, for me, it’s not about the individual, it’s about the club.
I heard both Maynard and Howe interviewed and although the both reiterated their support for DeGoey, both of them used the word “ again “. He’s going to need to play some very good footy for a long while if he has any interest in winning back the players, let alone the club.
I agree with you P2016.
Mr Miyagi

Post by Mr Miyagi »

The way Howe rolled his eyes in frustration when he added “again” said it all. I don’t think it’ll be a gentle, brotherly arm around his shoulders behind closed doors.
Last edited by Mr Miyagi on Tue Nov 02, 2021 11:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Haff
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 41 times

Post by Haff »

People here asking for apologies to Jordan please understand there is a vast difference between the judicial criminal system and workplace system. The former may indeed find him not guilty but if I go to a club and hit on someone with my corporate gear on and they find it inappropriate or even harassment, I can very easily lose my job owing to our behavioural standards etc. regardless of if there are any criminal charges. Unfortunately these players don’t need to have any identifying gear on, their faces are well known and represent the club at all times. As much as I want to see him go well past his 2018 form, he does not represent what this club and code should be all about and quite frankly the penalty should be severe up to and including de-registration.
The match day thread is for unfiltered BS knee jerk reactions. The time for level headed comment comes after.
Mr Miyagi

Post by Mr Miyagi »

He’s yet to face the assault charges next month, so the US judge might make the decision for the club,
Magpietothemax
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 15 times

Post by Magpietothemax »

jackcass wrote:Positive outcome the inappropriate touching charge has been dropped by police. While any assault isn’t justifiable, that was always the worst element of the alleged offenses.
Agree.
I think this development in the case proves that waiting before condemning and cancelling was the only fair attitude to take.
It is very disappointing, as P2016 points out, that he would find himself in this situation after making a commitment to the club to strive for the very highest standards in 2022. His team mates have voiced this in their comments to the media, by referring to JDG's past misdemeanours. But they did declare their support for him, and that is important.
I am waiting to see how this plays out. I am hopeful that JDG will win back the respect of the team by playing some very powerful football next year.
Free Julian Assange!!
Ice in the veins
Nifft

Post by Nifft »

Interesting ready the comments made, which appear to stem from frustration that one of our best players has found themselves in hot water once again. Taking things at face value, the previous charges were dropped, however some dirt has stuck and being a Collingwood player, the media has jumped to generate sales. Stuffed if I know how they got hold of the story. The result has been generally a pitchforks and burning sticks approach. While not condoning his actions if they did occur, it sounds as though two people were dancing and her friend of whatever description disapproved that the better looking male was making inroads. In a rage he attacked the male and found themself on the wrong side of the exchange. In a rage the cops were called and now in the sober light of day the affair is petering out. This is bearing in mind the litigious nature of USA persons, who saw the opportunity to make some cash. Bad luck it is JDG who has some form.
Where men are beasts and beasts are men