#2 Jordan De Goey

This is a Collingwood Bulletin Board - use this forum for general, Pies-related topics. For other footy topics, use Nick's Other AFL forum, and for non-footy sporting topics please use Nick's Sports Bar. For non-sporting topics please use the Victoria Park Tavern.

Moderator: bbmods

Magpietothemax
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 15 times

Post by Magpietothemax »

gurugeoff wrote:It must be on the lower end of the scale, seeing he is on bail and is even allowed to come back to Australia, so the yanks can't be too fussed if he decides to not come back at all.

Collingwood wise, we should unload him after this year. Is it too late to trade him this year for a high pick?
I for one won't be unloading him if he has a brilliant season.
Free Julian Assange!!
Ice in the veins
jackcass

Post by jackcass »

^ me either, but his contract offer has slipped a fair bit.
WarrenerraW

Post by WarrenerraW »

If the club is serious about success then we'll be smart and trade de gropey as soon as we can. He's a liability with form that stretches back years. We have had 5 or so seasons to offload him and with his career hanging on a knifes edge, we might not get another chance to get something of value for him.

Let's face it, he's half arsed and has a poor attitude towards preparation and recovery. He has flashy moments during games but otherwise goes walkies and won't put in the hard yards on or off field. In his mind he's a superstar but in reality he's just an idiot wanting a million dollars for not much return. Needs to go.
WhyPhilWhy?
Has liked: 26 times
Been liked: 25 times

Post by WhyPhilWhy? »

He'd be a hell of a player at $800K a season, rather than $1.2M
Magpie Russ
Has liked: 38 times
Been liked: 19 times

Post by Magpie Russ »

I really thought this was serious but after reading all the comments I realise this is all a media beat up; JDG was defending himself/his friend; a bit of 'clean fun' happened; boyfriends get jealous; JDG has a AFL body understandably hard to resist; the club should stand by JDG; even though he is innocent we should take advantage and low ball his next contract; even though he has been training the house down and not guilty - we should 'mange' his behaviour; he is a really good player and should be treated differently; he should know that he can do almost anything - the club will stand by him as long as he finishes Top 5 in the Copeland.
Lazza

Post by Lazza »

WarrenerraW wrote:If the club is serious about success then we'll be smart and trade de gropey as soon as we can. He's a liability with form that stretches back years. We have had 5 or so seasons to offload him and with his career hanging on a knifes edge, we might not get another chance to get something of value for him.

Let's face it, he's half arsed and has a poor attitude towards preparation and recovery. He has flashy moments during games but otherwise goes walkies and won't put in the hard yards on or off field. In his mind he's a superstar but in reality he's just an idiot wanting a million dollars for not much return. Needs to go.
So Buckley was heavily criticised on Nick’s and accused of wanting a club full of good decent citizens playing football instead of having a few bad boys with a mongrel streak playing hard at it footy without taking a backward step.
Do we go back to the soft Buckley model or support the team with a much harder edge as long as the players don’t perform illegal acts? I prefer the latter.
Don't confuse your current path with your final destination. Just because it's dark and stormy now doesn't meant that you aren't headed for glorious sunshine!
E

Post by E »

Magpietothemax wrote:
E wrote:i was inappropriately groped by Snookie at PHD a couple of years ago. it is that type of place! All good clean fun but lots of ... what's the word... "physical" dancing. Its not a crime that he went there. PHD is was one of the better clubs in New York for regular folks who want to blow off steam.

My take on what happened is that he and his buddy were on the dance floor (in robes with AFL bodies) and i bet a couple of girls decided they liked them. Danced up on them. Sounds like that was all fine until his tattoo guy mad a move on one of them which either (i) was totally inappropriate as it was not consensual, or (ii) it was totally fine and consensual until boyfriend saw what was going on and got upset. Either way, boyfriend stepped in and was likely someone important at the club (a nobody in life but a very important person at the club). Is Jordan not supposed to stick up for his friend. even if his tattoo friend was in the wrong, you have to stand by your friend in an altercation scenario. We've all been there.

Unless DeGoey is not allowed to do ANYTHING, this type of thing can and will happen. The sexual inappropriateness aside, altercations between boys about girls is a fairly regular occurrence among 22-24 year old men.

What is lost here is that this happened on a break from intense workouts that will hold Jordan in great stead this year and has me very excited about what we might see from him this year. he just came to New York to update his tatts!

Also, news media is overloaded. something similar to this happened to a very prominent Richmond player 15 years ago here in new york (i know because i was there) and it didnt even make the news. no one knows about it to this day.
Thanks E for this alternative, but very realistic, assessment of what happened. I think it really helps to establish the context, and as a result to consider the possiblity that in this situation JDG may have done very little to be considered reprehensible and therefore warranting him to be sacked. I think though there is an issue with his preliminary choices (knowingly going into this sexualised atmosphere in a night robe with his AFL body clearly visible, and also his choice of friend on the occasion) could be the main issue. Incidents like this will no doubt continue if JDG continues to manufacture the preliminary conditions for them to do so. My hope is that he is cleared of all charges, returns to the club suitably chastised, and mentally prepared to play a cracking season. MacRae and the other coaches could hopefully put in place a structural mentoring program and strict conditions for JDG to improve his decision making off the field.
nice assessment and i think that is the issue. Should a professional athlete be required to avoid situations that the rest of us are permitted to do, especially in the off season in another country.

At least he isn't in the same shit as henry Ruggs from the Raiders! now that is some sad shit!
Magpietothemax

Post by Magpietothemax »

WarrenerraW wrote:If the club is serious about success then we'll be smart and trade de gropey as soon as we can. He's a liability with form that stretches back years. We have had 5 or so seasons to offload him and with his career hanging on a knifes edge, we might not get another chance to get something of value for him.

i am sorry but i object to calling him that. The sexual assault charges have been dropped, as they were in the past. It is borderline defamatory.
We would get literally nothing for offloading him now. He might well have done nothing except choose poor friends in the current episode. Don't think he needs to go just yet at all.
Free Julian Assange!!
Ice in the veins
qldmagpie67
Been liked: 80 times

Post by qldmagpie67 »

I hadn’t commented earlier as generally it takes a couple days for the full story to come out
It’s my experience being inside a rugby league club for the best part of 2 decades that these incidents aren’t uncommon and there’s generally a lot of he said she said he did she did scenarios
The full story is yet to be made public I’m assuming so I won’t comment on what his punishment should be
But for mine he has a habit of putting himself in places where he is accompanying people who don’t have his best interest at heart or he has issues with alcohol and losses his commonsense gene when he consumes more than a couple
Either way this isn’t his first incident and he doesn’t seem to be learning from past error in judgement
The club need to sit him down and in very strong terms let him know this pattern needs to stop immediately
His talent is undoubted his a match winner and seeing him doing the hard yards in LA made me think maybe the penny had dropped
We can’t afford to loss talent like this on the back of losing Stephenson & Treloar
For mine our leadership needs to be questioned strongly
I was of the opinion maxwell had been brought in to deal with “cultural” issues ? If this is the case he isn’t doing the job properly
Let’s hope this is the end of the JDG sagas and he can play some great footy in 2022 like he showed in the second half of 2021
MJ23

Post by MJ23 »

Lazza wrote:

So Buckley was heavily criticised on Nick’s and accused of wanting a club full of good decent citizens playing football instead of having a few bad boys with a mongrel streak playing hard at it footy without taking a backward step.
Do we go back to the soft Buckley model or support the team with a much harder edge as long as the players don’t perform illegal acts? I prefer the latter.
Exactly
"Even when Im old and gray, I wont be able to play but Ill still love the game"
Michael Jordan
MJ23

Post by MJ23 »

dbl
"Even when Im old and gray, I wont be able to play but Ill still love the game"
Michael Jordan
MatthewBoydFanClub
Been liked: 1 time

Post by MatthewBoydFanClub »

Lazza wrote:

I think what we tend to do is group players together in the same boat but in the case of Stephenson and De Goey we have two very different individuals. Buckley would have demanded buy in from the group and with De Goey he would always have given it, which is the reason Buckley would have liked De Goey. Ignore the article in today's Herald-Sun by McClure who's a former Carlton player. There are players who play percentages and then there's players who chance their ability and go for it. De Goey is one of those. Blaming De Goey for the 2018 GF loss is just another low act by the media. The issues with De Goey are common knowledge related to his handling of alcohol. He's not the first AFL player and won't be the last. Stephenson on the other hand is one of those gifted individuals who often shows disinterest on the training track because the feeling you get is that he thinks he can do it all on his own. What doesn't help is that he's very immature. Coaches tend to have trouble with these sorts of players because you never when they're going to grow up. Buckley obviously lost patience with Stephenson. We'll never know how McRae would have handled him, but you could argue that a new coach like McRae is better off not having to worry about problem players like Stephenson. The problem McRae has with De Goey is all the bad publicity it generates for the club and the damage it causes to the morale of the playing group. Also when the club refines it's playing list for the 2022 season it factors in the contribution of De Goey to next season. If the club was to let him go it changes the whole dynamic of the playing list. He's not irreplaceable. However it makes the job of the coach so much harder to cover De Goey's position in the team structures.
Magpietothemax

Post by Magpietothemax »

^McClure's article is an excellent example of gutter journalism, and confirms how the media is attempting to aggravate and amplify this whole incident with as much vitriol as possible.
McClure blamed JDG for losing the GF in 2018. That's a disgraceful comment. He then declares that he was already of the opinion that we should have moved JDG on, and this seals it. Yes, sure Mark. You don't even know what actually happened. And no one cares that you thought we should have moved him on earlier.
Really disgusting piece. I guess that this is one of the penalties that JDG must cop for his decision-making.
Free Julian Assange!!
Ice in the veins
BazBoy
Been liked: 35 times

Post by BazBoy »

MaClure is a know all know nothing sub standard journo

I have an aka for Sam but best kept to self
I'm not arguing--just explaining why i am right
WarrenerraW

Post by WarrenerraW »

Lazza wrote:

Rubbish! Buckley was criticised on here because he was a terribly incompetent coach who never should have been anointed in the first place. His so-called coaching was constipating and set us back years. Football clubs are full of all different personality types. Buckely was a narcissist and an ego maniac. All the lovey dovey sh!t towards the end was a front and desperate attempt to save his job. He lost the respect of the playing group years ago.

Footballers are supposed to be professional athletes and behave like adults like the rest of society. I don't want my club forking out 800k for a dickhead who continually makes poor life decisions and harms others.