The 2021 Great Big Consolidated Trade & Draft thread

This is a Collingwood Bulletin Board - use this forum for general, Pies-related topics. For other footy topics, use Nick's Other AFL forum, and for non-footy sporting topics please use Nick's Sports Bar. For non-sporting topics please use the Victoria Park Tavern.

Moderator: bbmods

MatthewBoydFanClub
Been liked: 1 time

Post by MatthewBoydFanClub »

MJ23 wrote:^ I rated Aish also, he was a big loss. We started sliding backwards when he left
We have about 10 guys who can play his position on the half back line. He was recruited as a wing and half forward which didn’t suit him. We should’ve learned that from Brisbane but as usual like similar circumstances with Howe and Mayne we don’t pay heed at Collingwood what the other clubs have already learned. Our slide down the ladder had nothing to do with Aish.
MJ23

Post by MJ23 »

MatthewBoydFanClub wrote:
MJ23 wrote:^ I rated Aish also, he was a big loss. We started sliding backwards when he left
We have about 10 guys who can play his position on the half back line. He was recruited as a wing and half forward which didn’t suit him. We should’ve learned that from Brisbane but as usual like similar circumstances with Howe and Mayne we don’t pay heed at Collingwood what the other clubs have already learned. Our slide down the ladder had nothing to do with Aish.
Yep had a few that could play half back. Spent a lot of time playing wing though when he finished and right now he would be playing inside mid - which was where he played his best. Could play tall and could use the ball. Never have too many of them.

Our slide started when he left - Thats a fact. Can debate how much his leaving influenced that but he was a very popular player who didn't want to leave.
"Even when Im old and gray, I wont be able to play but Ill still love the game"
Michael Jordan
MatthewBoydFanClub

MJ23 wrote:
MatthewBoydFanClub wrote:
Yep had a few that could play half back. Spent a lot of time playing wing though when he finished and right now he would be playing inside mid - which was where he played his best. Could play tall and could use the ball. Never have too many of them.

Our slide started when he left - Thats a fact. Can debate how much his leaving influenced that but he was a very popular player who didn't want to leave.
He's a beautiful user of the ball. One of the reasons I liked him as well. However playing up the field he was continually being crunched. Justin Longmuir is no idiot. He was recruited to Freemantle specifically to play a half back position. That's his role now. If he stayed at Collingwood he wouldn't be playing an inside mid role and if he did he'd spend half his time off the field with concussion issues.
BazBoy
Been liked: 31 times

Post by BazBoy »

I'm not arguing--just explaining why i am right
jackcass

Post by jackcass »

MatthewBoydFanClub wrote:We have about 10 guys who can play his position on the half back line. He was recruited as a wing and half forward which didn’t suit him. We should’ve learned that from Brisbane but as usual like similar circumstances with Howe and Mayne we don’t pay heed at Collingwood what the other clubs have already learned. Our slide down the ladder had nothing to do with Aish.
I actually thought he was developing okay on a wing. Got injured though and by the time he returned Mayne had taken his spot.

That aside, who are these 10 guys we have who can play HBF and which of them can play it as well as Aish?
MatthewBoydFanClub

jackcass wrote:
MatthewBoydFanClub wrote:We have about 10 guys who can play his position on the half back line. He was recruited as a wing and half forward which didn’t suit him. We should’ve learned that from Brisbane but as usual like similar circumstances with Howe and Mayne we don’t pay heed at Collingwood what the other clubs have already learned. Our slide down the ladder had nothing to do with Aish.
I actually thought he was developing okay on a wing. Got injured though and by the time he returned Mayne had taken his spot.

That aside, who are these 10 guys we have who can play HBF and which of them can play it as well as Aish?
Brayden Maynard - much more complete player at half back than Aish will ever be
Jeremy Howe - better mark and anticipator of the ball than Aish
Quaynor - offers more pace than Aish
John Noble - faster than Aish. As good a kick as Aish
Trey Ruscoe - taller than Aish and can play on bigger opponents
Nathan Murphy - better mark than Aish
Jack Madgen - taller than Aish and can play on bigger opponents
Tyler Brown - could develop into a better half back than Aish
Caleb Poulter - ditto
Isaac Chugg - ditto
Tom Wilson - developing very nicely as an option at half back
Charlie Oneeye
Has liked: 23 times
Been liked: 15 times

Post by Charlie Oneeye »

Aish was a good player, and we got something for him.

Was good average. Doing his job well.

Not dissimilar to many others who do their job but aren't match winners.

Q. Why him and not another ?

A. Don't know, happens when you have a bunch of these blokes. It happened to be Aish.

I wasn't shattered, in fact, not even fussed.
jackcass

Post by jackcass »

^^ So actually only 3 who can but a few who could.

We’ve actually also lost Murray, Goldsack, Langdon and Scharenberg since Aish was traded. All more relevant to the discussion than most you list. Diminishing his ability does nothing to enhance the conversation.
Last edited by jackcass on Wed Nov 03, 2021 4:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jackcass

Post by jackcass »

DP
Presti35
Has liked: 169 times
Been liked: 63 times

Post by Presti35 »

Why have Aish when you can get Naish?
A Goal Saved Is 2 Goals Earned!
MatthewBoydFanClub

jackcass wrote:^^ So actually only 3 who can but a few who could.

We’ve actually also lost Murray, Goldsack, Langdon and Scharenberg since Aish was traded. All more relevant to the discussion than most you list. Diminishing his ability does nothing to enhance the conversation.
Half back isn’t our problem. We have problems with key position players and a fast crumbing small forward.
jackcass

Post by jackcass »

Presti35 wrote:Why have Aish when you can get Naish?
Why? What does he offer that makes him somebody we should chase? What position do you see him playing?
Charlie Oneeye
Has liked: 23 times
Been liked: 15 times

Post by Charlie Oneeye »

Presti35 wrote:Why have Aish when you can get Naish?
Yep, I'd prefer a bigger named player
jackcass

Post by jackcass »

MatthewBoydFanClub wrote:Half back isn’t our problem. We have problems with key position players and a fast crumbing small forward.
Actually, I see small medium defenders as a need. Chugg the only real development option we've added of late.
Last edited by jackcass on Wed Nov 03, 2021 6:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BazBoy
Been liked: 31 times

Post by BazBoy »

I'm not arguing--just explaining why i am right