#2 Jordan De Goey

This is a Collingwood Bulletin Board - use this forum for general, Pies-related topics. For other footy topics, use Nick's Other AFL forum, and for non-footy sporting topics please use Nick's Sports Bar. For non-sporting topics please use the Victoria Park Tavern.

Moderator: bbmods

Magpietothemax
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 15 times

Post by Magpietothemax »

think positive wrote:
Magpietothemax wrote:
think positive wrote:I reckon that’s pretty spot on. He really could be top 10 in the league, but he’s an entitled brat
We know you don't like him. He's not so much an entitled brat as a guy one should feel sorry for, due to his clear lack of control over impulses and poor decision making. If he is guilty of very little here, as I suspect, then just lay off him and see what he can do next year.
Incorrect on all counts, I used to love him, have a look at all my Jordy shots. Feel sorry for a guy who can’t control his impulses? Would you like to hear about the time when I was about 13 and I saw my dad knock my mum out cold and revive her With a bucket of ice cold water? After which he took off into the night and left me to care for Mum and my baby sister in the caravan, and my blind drunk 15 year old sister who was puking all over our shared tent. You may think groping a woman and punching a man trying to help her, and then kicking him when he was down is very little but I beg to differ! Dropped charges do not equal not guilty, especially when high powered defence attorneys are involved. As much as I live and breathe Collingwood, I have the decency to be embarrassed by all the shit he keeps getting caught doing. I have 2 daughters his age, I’d $$%^%%$ cut his balls off if he treated them like that.
Are you really comparing what JDG did on the PHD dance floor with the domestic violence you experienced in your childhood? Please, this is not fair to JDG. You don't even know how he treated any girl. The groping charges in NY have been dropped, likewise the previous accusations here in Melbourne. You cant just assume that because a woman says he did it, that we have to immediately say the man is a psychopathic sex offender. You sound like you are too much under the influence of Me Too. Just let see what transpires from here. He might be a dickhead, but I am not going to demonise him as a criminal we need to dispense with until i see proper evidence.
Free Julian Assange!!
Ice in the veins
Pies4shaw
Has liked: 74 times
Been liked: 104 times

Post by Pies4shaw »

I think posters should probably avoid wasting too much energy on defending De Goey until we know the Club's final position. At the moment, it looks clear - from the Club's own words - that they intend to defenestrate him in due course.

The Club's statement is a very negative one. https://www.collingwoodfc.com.au/news/1 ... -statement

It will continue to pay him under his contract for the time being. He will not be permitted to train or play or use club resources, staff or facilities for the time being. The Club is "deeply disappointed" and "believes it is appropriate to remove him from the AFL program" - note that this last statement is not expressed to be contingent on the outcome of proceedings in the US or "a more complete account of events."

The chances of him returning to Collingwood and playing for the Club again, irrespective of the outcome of the US criminal charges, appear to be very slim.

They're not paying for his lawyers. They're not supporting him. They're not saying anything about hoping to see him back on the field, at any time in the future. Nothing.
simon tonna

Post by simon tonna »

what can we say that hasn’t been said to him or about him before? he’s ours for now but if, just like every single friggin player on the list his first and only priority should be the ramifications of stuffing things up enough to ruin a good thing. The way I see it is he isn’t the first bloke to wreck the chance to be the ultimate superstar because of grog, fast cars and women and by golly if there’s a opportunity to guarantee 100% bye in then all good but if we see a way to win on player movement with JDG as part of the deal well we are stupid not too. Just like every single other player should have to be.
no second chances
Pies4shaw

Post by Pies4shaw »

The Club plainly isn't treating him "like every single other player", any longer, is it?
think positive
Has liked: 237 times
Been liked: 89 times

Post by think positive »

I absolutely cannot believe some of these comments!
Is footy really more important than common decency? Do you not have daughters, or sons who would go to their aide if need be?

Magpietothemax I wasn’t comparing, I was just answering your comment about feeling sorry for someone who can’t control their poor judgment and impulses, giving an example of exactly where that can lead. He’s 25 it’s way past time to grow up. When do you think it’s time for him to take responsibly for his actions? The charges are piling up, wether or not he has been able to afford lawyers capable of getting him off. Just have a look at the absolute scum his chosen lawyers have defended in the past. Says it all for me.

Thanks for the link P4S and thank the lord for the change of the guard that means the club is not trying to defend the indefensible. Does anyone really want their membership fees paying DeGoeys lawyers? And I’m really glad they are not treating him like every single other player, because clearly, he’s not acting like the majority.
You cant fix stupid, turns out you cant quarantine it either!
jackcass

Post by jackcass »

Doesn't the concept of "common decency" also require full consideration and weighing of all the evidence before hanging anyone?
Pies4shaw

Post by Pies4shaw »

think positive wrote: ... thank the lord for the change of the guard that means the club is not trying to defend the indefensible. Does anyone really want their membership fees paying DeGoeys lawyers? And I’m really glad they are not treating him like every single other player, because clearly, he’s not acting like the majority.
That seems to be the Club's approach, in a nutshell. One swallow does not make a summer. as the saying goes - but Collingwood seems to be taking the view that there are now too may swallows to deny that things are heating up.
MJ23

Post by MJ23 »

jackcass wrote:Doesn't the concept of "common decency" also require full consideration and weighing of all the evidence before hanging anyone?
This.
I cannot beleive what people are prepared to beleive as "fact" when no-one here knows any facts at all. Personal experience does not buy more knowledge of this incident than anyone else has.

How can it be fact that because a charge was dropped it was only because he had a good lawyer and not because he never did it ?

Ill wait to see the whole story - from both sides - come out. Ive been in too many situations where the instigator becomes the victim because they have more people around them.

Im prepared to condemn and write him off depending on what comes out. Im also prepared to let him come back and try and redeem himself again depending on what comes out.

Gotta say, in todays world, Darren Milane would have been sacked and we would have players wearing 42.
"Even when Im old and gray, I wont be able to play but Ill still love the game"
Michael Jordan
think positive

Post by think positive »

you believe in odds? track record?

did Milane have a track record? i dont recall anything before the drunk driving but i could be wrong, that said ive never understood the reactions, im just glad he didnt take anyone with him.
Pete 70
Been liked: 15 times

Post by Pete 70 »

Think positive I am sorry for what you endured mate. I truly am. I also appreciate the views you are expressing.

Whatever happens, and I don’t know enough so won’t comment on the charges, will happen. Sadly, what has unequivocally happened already is that the Collingwood Football Club has been damaged because of JDG’s actions in being in a position where his “mate” posted images that undermine prett much most of the club’s departments. If only he’d received training on the perils of social media.
Dispatches from a foreign land
David
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 37 times

Post by David »

Pies4shaw wrote:I think posters should probably avoid wasting too much energy on defending De Goey until we know the Club's final position. At the moment, it looks clear - from the Club's own words - that they intend to defenestrate him in due course.

The Club's statement is a very negative one. https://www.collingwoodfc.com.au/news/1 ... -statement

It will continue to pay him under his contract for the time being. He will not be permitted to train or play or use club resources, staff or facilities for the time being. The Club is "deeply disappointed" and "believes it is appropriate to remove him from the AFL program" - note that this last statement is not expressed to be contingent on the outcome of proceedings in the US or "a more complete account of events."

The chances of him returning to Collingwood and playing for the Club again, irrespective of the outcome of the US criminal charges, appear to be very slim.

They're not paying for his lawyers. They're not supporting him. They're not saying anything about hoping to see him back on the field, at any time in the future. Nothing.
To be fair, that statement was released before the groping charges were dropped. While the second allegation remains a serious one (and I can't agree with those who rightly acknowledge the seriousness of groping but somehow think punching and kicking someone of the same gender is comparatively no big deal), the possibility that he is innocent of the first allegation does colour the incident somewhat differently and, if true, is likely to lead the club to look a little less unfavourably on him. It surely goes without saying, in any case, that standing him down is a provisional move; if the decision were in any way final, they would have delisted him. So I read the linked statement as damage control PR based on initial reports, and expect that anything further will be kept in-house until the legal case is dealt with.

There's a lot to play out here, including the possibility that he may see jail time in the US over the remaining charge. That would clearly interrupt his pre-season and perhaps see him spending much of the year on the sidelines or in the VFL anyway, so I expect all of this will impact on the club's decisionmaking. If he is cleared, though, I would be surprised if he isn't welcomed back after serving a short club-imposed suspension and accepting certain conditions.
"Every time we witness an injustice and do not act, we train our character to be passive in its presence." – Julian Assange
think positive

Post by think positive »

not sure id use the word "welcome"
MJ23

Post by MJ23 »

think positive wrote:you believe in odds? track record?

did Milane have a track record? i dont recall anything before the drunk driving but i could be wrong, that said ive never understood the reactions, im just glad he didnt take anyone with him.
Yes, yes he did.
And again, depending on what actually happened yes Id welcome him back to make amends. Side by Side
Last edited by MJ23 on Thu Nov 04, 2021 10:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Even when Im old and gray, I wont be able to play but Ill still love the game"
Michael Jordan
think positive

Post by think positive »

Pete 70 wrote:Think positive I am sorry for what you endured mate. I truly am. I also appreciate the views you are expressing.

Whatever happens, and I don’t know enough so won’t comment on the charges, will happen. Sadly, what has unequivocally happened already is that the Collingwood Football Club has been damaged because of JDG’s actions in being in a position where his “mate” posted images that undermine prett much most of the club’s departments. If only he’d received training on the perils of social media.
thanks mate, appreciated.

this in a nutshell,

if it was a one of, id be more forgiving, take away the frisbee, the other girl, the drunk driving. also, when i see people continually behaving badly, i always wonder what else they are doing, what they have not been caught doing.
Lazza

Post by Lazza »

Warne had similar problems which he dealt with. Carey had similar problems which he dealt with. I’m certain that there were other players in the same boat who came back chastened and educated. I’m NOT condoning the truly horrible behaviour in any way whatsoever but saying that players can unlearn these pathetic actions and become decent human beings if they want to. You cannot separate players rights to do stuff from their responsibilities to their families, club, teammates, society, country and especially to themselves. We should hold AFL players to the same standards we expect from ourselves or anyone else as I can’t see any reason as to why we shouldn’t do this. We are all good or bad role models to someone in this life. IF evidence proves that he did the wrong thing (and I stress that condition), he should deal with any punitive action given to him and come back as a better human being. If he cannot do so, I would happily bid him adios you bloody dickhead of a person. Just like with Phill Inn, the ball is in his court.
Last edited by Lazza on Thu Nov 04, 2021 10:20 am, edited 2 times in total.
Don't confuse your current path with your final destination. Just because it's dark and stormy now doesn't meant that you aren't headed for glorious sunshine!