#2 Jordan De Goey

This is a Collingwood Bulletin Board - use this forum for general, Pies-related topics. For other footy topics, use Nick's Other AFL forum, and for non-footy sporting topics please use Nick's Sports Bar. For non-sporting topics please use the Victoria Park Tavern.

Moderator: bbmods

think positive
Has liked: 237 times
Been liked: 89 times

Post by think positive »

i have absolutely no respect for either of those guys in your first line.
You cant fix stupid, turns out you cant quarantine it either!
Lazza

Post by Lazza »

think positive wrote:i have absolutely no respect for either of those guys in your first line.
Good on you TP, same with me. Although I understand the concept of coming back after doing the time, it still irks me that they are performing publicly with everything apparently forgotten and forgiven. I will always remember their awful bloody actions lest we forget
Don't confuse your current path with your final destination. Just because it's dark and stormy now doesn't meant that you aren't headed for glorious sunshine!
think positive

Post by think positive »

Lazza wrote:
think positive wrote:i have absolutely no respect for either of those guys in your first line.
Good on you TP, same with me. Although I understand the concept of coming back after doing the time, it still irks me that they are performing publicly with everything apparently forgotten and forgiven. I will always remember their awful bloody actions lest we forget
MatthewBoydFanClub
Been liked: 1 time

Post by MatthewBoydFanClub »

MJ23 wrote:
think positive wrote:you believe in odds? track record?

did Milane have a track record? i dont recall anything before the drunk driving but i could be wrong, that said ive never understood the reactions, im just glad he didnt take anyone with him.
Yes, yes he did.
And again, depending on what actually happened yes Id welcome him back to make amends. Side by Side
As much as I loved Milane he had a bad boy reputation when Hawthorn let him go. As I said in another post every individual is different, even ones who who share behavioral issues. If I had any doubt that De Goey sexually assaulted a female I wouldn’t want him back at Collingwood even if he was the best player in the AFL. I sympathize with Think Positive. However facts are facts. He pleaded not guilty and the sexual charges have been withdrawn. He deserves the presumption of innocence. Collingwood are doing exactly what they should be doing by suspending him while paying him the terms of his contract. Even if the club wants to get rid of him we’re stuck with the terms of his contract till the end of next year. There’s a lot to play out here. Just remember here Jordan De Goey isn’t the first or last footballer to louse up. He deserves the same consideration as any other footballer caught up in a situation which with a bit of common sense they could have avoided.
think positive

Post by think positive »

He is definately not the first, and if this was his first stuff up id agree, perhaps even the second, but enough is enough. putting himself on that video and in this situation in the first place was just plain stupid, and if he was too drunk to realise that, then maybe its time to say goodbye to the vodka bottle, or what ever his poison is. I do agree the club has done everything right, and i hope they keep it up. I cant tell you had badly i want Collingwood to do well, its one of the great pleasures of my life going to the footy with my daughter, catching up with like minded people, cheering on amazing feats, and i cant express how pissed off i am right now! it has been the season from hell, the year from hell, and just as we start to look more proffessional, more positive, so much so that players actaully want to be a part of Collingwood, our no 1 talent does this. just 1 day after we are all cheering his training video thinking yay, the penny dropped!
Last edited by think positive on Thu Nov 04, 2021 10:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
MJ23

Post by MJ23 »

MatthewBoydFanClub wrote:
MJ23 wrote:

did Milane have a track record? i dont recall anything before the drunk driving but i could be wrong, that said ive never understood the reactions, im just glad he didnt take anyone with him.
Yes, yes he did.
And again, depending on what actually happened yes Id welcome him back to make amends. Side by Side
As much as I loved Milane he had a bad boy reputation when Hawthorn let him go. As I said in another post every individual is different, even ones who who share behavioral issues. If I had any doubt that De Goey sexually assaulted a female I wouldn’t want him back at Collingwood even if he was the best player in the AFL. I sympathize with Think Positive. However facts are facts. He pleaded not guilty and the sexual charges have been withdrawn. He deserves the presumption of innocence. Collingwood are doing exactly what they should be doing by suspending him while paying him the terms of his contract. Even if the club wants to get rid of him we’re stuck with the terms of his contract till the end of next year. There’s a lot to play out here. Just remember here Jordan De Goey isn’t the first or last footballer to louse up. He deserves the same consideration as any other footballer caught up in a situation which with a bit of common sense they could have avoided.
agree 100% - as someone said before - I have a daughter. If he has sexually assaulted a female Id want him gone.

I also have a son and to think that society could write him of so quickly when he could be innocent factually but guilty through accusation. Its just wrong.
"Even when Im old and gray, I wont be able to play but Ill still love the game"
Michael Jordan
think positive

Post by think positive »

MJ23 wrote:
I also have a son and to think that society could write him of so quickly when he could be innocent factually but guilty through accusation. Its just wrong.
and if that son had a bottle smashed into his face, and was punched and kicked by two 6 foot men for the crime of defending your daughter?
MJ23

Post by MJ23 »

think positive wrote:
MJ23 wrote:
and if that son had a bottle smashed into his face, and was punched and kicked by two 6 foot men for the crime of defending your daughter?
Stated as fact right ? Have you seen a bottle smashed over a head ? Ive been hit in the head with a stubby, didn't break, 6 stitches and blood shot eye for 6 months and I absolutely needed medical.

What if my son was dancing with a girl and her jealous boyfriend king hit him in the back of the head and he defended himself. What if there was many more of the boyfriends mates there being that he is local and they lied about what happened ?
Michael Jordan
think positive

Post by think positive »

well we find out on december 8th, for now im going by whats been reported widely.
MJ23

Post by MJ23 »

^ thats what Ive been saying all along.

And Im not paying any attention to whats been "reported" other than at this stage the police report which said.
- all were intoxicated
- All refused medical

It also had several serious charges, one of which being in my view the most damning - was dropped very quickly.
Michael Jordan
Pies4shaw
Has liked: 74 times
Been liked: 104 times

Post by Pies4shaw »

David wrote:
Pies4shaw wrote:I think posters should probably avoid wasting too much energy on defending De Goey until we know the Club's final position. At the moment, it looks clear - from the Club's own words - that they intend to defenestrate him in due course.

The Club's statement is a very negative one. https://www.collingwoodfc.com.au/news/1 ... -statement

It will continue to pay him under his contract for the time being. He will not be permitted to train or play or use club resources, staff or facilities for the time being. The Club is "deeply disappointed" and "believes it is appropriate to remove him from the AFL program" - note that this last statement is not expressed to be contingent on the outcome of proceedings in the US or "a more complete account of events."

The chances of him returning to Collingwood and playing for the Club again, irrespective of the outcome of the US criminal charges, appear to be very slim.

They're not paying for his lawyers. They're not supporting him. They're not saying anything about hoping to see him back on the field, at any time in the future. Nothing.
To be fair, that statement was released before the groping charges were dropped. While the second allegation remains a serious one (and I can't agree with those who rightly acknowledge the seriousness of groping but somehow think punching and kicking someone of the same gender is comparatively no big deal), the possibility that he is innocent of the first allegation does colour the incident somewhat differently and, if true, is likely to lead the club to look a little less unfavourably on him. It surely goes without saying, in any case, that standing him down is a provisional move; if the decision were in any way final, they would have delisted him. So I read the linked statement as damage control PR based on initial reports, and expect that anything further will be kept in-house until the legal case is dealt with.

There's a lot to play out here, including the possibility that he may see jail time in the US over the remaining charge. That would clearly interrupt his pre-season and perhaps see him spending much of the year on the sidelines or in the VFL anyway, so I expect all of this will impact on the club's decisionmaking. If he is cleared, though, I would be surprised if he isn't welcomed back after serving a short club-imposed suspension and accepting certain conditions.
I wasn't expressing any normative view. I was simply observing that the language of that press release was very strong - and somewhat at odds with the defensive views being taken by some people on here. If Collingwood were a cult, I would describe the statement as a "shunning" - the message from the press release is that Collingwood has "had it" with him.

As to the dropping of particular charges, there has been no further statement of the "Collingwood welcomes the news that ..." variety - and it looks like there is not going to be.
David
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 37 times

Post by David »

"Every time we witness an injustice and do not act, we train our character to be passive in its presence." – Julian Assange
RudeBoy
Been liked: 76 times

Post by RudeBoy »

I seem to recall Millane and Banksy were blind drunk and stole a bus and drove it before falling out of it onto the street.
think positive

Post by think positive »

RudeBoy wrote:

I seem to recall Millane and Banksy were blind drunk and stole a bus and drove it before falling out of it onto the street.
i knew it was banksy (my favourite player at the time!) my memory is shit these days! i have to say i find drunk driving unforgivable.

my daughter just pointed out JDG went to st kevins, so his attitude to women is hardly surprising! (im sure some nice guys come out of there!!)
think positive

Post by think positive »

MJ23 wrote:^ thats what Ive been saying all along.

And Im not paying any attention to whats been "reported" other than at this stage the police report which said.
- all were intoxicated
- All refused medical

It also had several serious charges, one of which being in my view the most damning - was dropped very quickly.
was it dropped against both offenders? not hearing much about the other dude