The 2021 Great Big Consolidated Trade & Draft thread

This is a Collingwood Bulletin Board - use this forum for general, Pies-related topics. For other footy topics, use Nick's Other AFL forum, and for non-footy sporting topics please use Nick's Sports Bar. For non-sporting topics please use the Victoria Park Tavern.

Moderator: bbmods

MatthewBoydFanClub
Been liked: 1 time

Post by MatthewBoydFanClub »

jackcass wrote:
MatthewBoydFanClub wrote:Half back isn’t our problem. We have problems with key position players and a fast crumbing small forward.
Actually, I see small medium defender as a need. Chugg the only real development option we've added of late.
I think Chugg will end up a very good player for us and I’m only surprised that we delisted him, even though we intend to reinstate him onto our rookie list.
Charlie Oneeye
Has liked: 23 times
Been liked: 15 times

Post by Charlie Oneeye »

Im guessing other clubs can select him before us ?
jackcass

Post by jackcass »

Howe came to the club on the potential of midfield opportunity. Started on a wing initially before need saw him moved into defence.
Jezza
Has liked: 137 times
Been liked: 196 times

Post by Jezza »

jackcass wrote:Howe came to the club on the potential of midfield opportunity. Started on a wing initially before need saw him moved into defence.
I thought Howe joined us because we promised him more time in the forward line, but we quickly abandoned that plan and sent him down back as an intercept marking defender.
🏆 | 1902 | 1903 | 1910 | 1917 | 1919 | 1927 | 1928 | 1929 | 1930 | 1935 | 1936 | 1953 | 1958 | 1990 | 2010 | 2023 | 🏆
jackcass

Post by jackcass »

Jezza wrote:
jackcass wrote:Howe came to the club on the potential of midfield opportunity. Started on a wing initially before need saw him moved into defence.
I thought Howe joined us because we promised him more time in the forward line, but we quickly abandoned that plan and sent him down back as an intercept marking defender.
Primary reason was to play under Buckley from memory. Thought the secondary reason was midfield opportunity. The attached suggests midfield - wing. First game at the club started wing.

https://www.afl.com.au/news/198091/mega ... swap-clubs
Jezza
Has liked: 137 times
Been liked: 196 times

Post by Jezza »

^
Jeremy Howe was specifically recruited to play up forward for Collingwood and that is where he will be in 2016, coach Nathan Buckley says.
https://amp.news.com.au/sport/afl/colli ... c92c776031

https://www.collingwoodfc.com.au/news/7 ... lock-bucks
🏆 | 1902 | 1903 | 1910 | 1917 | 1919 | 1927 | 1928 | 1929 | 1930 | 1935 | 1936 | 1953 | 1958 | 1990 | 2010 | 2023 | 🏆
Pies4shaw
Has liked: 62 times
Been liked: 98 times

Post by Pies4shaw »

^ That was my recollection, too - I specifically remember the former Coach speaking at length and on a number of occasions about Howe's excitement to be playing forward. As it turned out, he wasn't much use at it. He's kicked just 10 goals for Collingwood in nearly 100 games - and at least a couple of those goals were kicked running forward from the backline.

If memory serves, he was so ordinary up forward that we played Ben Crocker in the forward line, instead.
inxs88
Been liked: 4 times

Post by inxs88 »

MatthewBoydFanClub wrote:
jackcass wrote:
MatthewBoydFanClub wrote:We have about 10 guys who can play his position on the half back line. He was recruited as a wing and half forward which didn’t suit him. We should’ve learned that from Brisbane but as usual like similar circumstances with Howe and Mayne we don’t pay heed at Collingwood what the other clubs have already learned. Our slide down the ladder had nothing to do with Aish.
I actually thought he was developing okay on a wing. Got injured though and by the time he returned Mayne had taken his spot.

That aside, who are these 10 guys we have who can play HBF and which of them can play it as well as Aish?
Brayden Maynard - much more complete player at half back than Aish will ever be
Jeremy Howe - better mark and anticipator of the ball than Aish
Quaynor - offers more pace than Aish
John Noble - faster than Aish. As good a kick as Aish
Trey Ruscoe - taller than Aish and can play on bigger opponents
Nathan Murphy - better mark than Aish
Jack Madgen - taller than Aish and can play on bigger opponents
Tyler Brown - could develop into a better half back than Aish
Caleb Poulter - ditto
Isaac Chugg - ditto
Tom Wilson - developing very nicely as an option at half back
Excellent summation
I love the Pies, hate Carlscum
inxs88
Been liked: 4 times

Post by inxs88 »

jackcass wrote:^^ So actually only 3 who can but a few who could.

We’ve actually also lost Murray, Goldsack, Langdon and Scharenberg since Aish was traded. All more relevant to the discussion than most you list. Diminishing his ability does nothing to enhance the conversation.
It does actually. It serves to highlights that he was a "jobber, C Grader".
I love the Pies, hate Carlscum
MJ23

Post by MJ23 »

"Even when Im old and gray, I wont be able to play but Ill still love the game"
Michael Jordan
jackcass

Post by jackcass »

Jezza wrote:^
Jeremy Howe was specifically recruited to play up forward for Collingwood and that is where he will be in 2016, coach Nathan Buckley says.
https://amp.news.com.au/sport/afl/colli ... c92c776031

https://www.collingwoodfc.com.au/news/7 ... lock-bucks
https://www.collingwoodfc.com.au/video/ ... 5234220001

It's neither here nor there really but Wing-HF according to Howe....
mattdally
Has liked: 1 time

Post by mattdally »

inxs88 wrote:
MatthewBoydFanClub wrote:
jackcass wrote: I actually thought he was developing okay on a wing. Got injured though and by the time he returned Mayne had taken his spot.

That aside, who are these 10 guys we have who can play HBF and which of them can play it as well as Aish?
Brayden Maynard - much more complete player at half back than Aish will ever be
Jeremy Howe - better mark and anticipator of the ball than Aish
Quaynor - offers more pace than Aish
John Noble - faster than Aish. As good a kick as Aish
Trey Ruscoe - taller than Aish and can play on bigger opponents
Nathan Murphy - better mark than Aish
Jack Madgen - taller than Aish and can play on bigger opponents
Tyler Brown - could develop into a better half back than Aish
Caleb Poulter - ditto
Isaac Chugg - ditto
Tom Wilson - developing very nicely as an option at half back
Excellent summation
I disagree.
Aish is a much better footballer than Noble, Murphy, Madgen, Tyler Brown and Tom Wilson. Ruscoe will potentially end up the better player, but Aish has consistency on his side.
Poulter doesn't play half back so he shouldn't be in this list. Nor should Chugg as he's never played a game.
MJ23

Post by MJ23 »

^ yep
Brown has shown no demonstrable skills to play HB.
If Poulter ends up a half back it would be a huge waste.
Not sure Id say Murphy was a better Mark - Aish was a much better decision maker with a bigger tank.
Howe is an intercept mark - totally different position.

When we start listing Ruscoe, Madgen and Howe we are talking about talls playing on talls - totally diff position.

And still, its all irrelevant. Aish was best on the wing and even better as an inside mid. And we lost something when we lost him.
"Even when Im old and gray, I wont be able to play but Ill still love the game"
Michael Jordan
jackcass

Post by jackcass »

mattdally wrote:I disagree.
Aish is a much better footballer than Noble, Murphy, Madgen, Tyler Brown and Tom Wilson. Ruscoe will potentially end up the better player, but Aish has consistency on his side.
Poulter doesn't play half back so he shouldn't be in this list. Nor should Chugg as he's never played a game.
Fully concur.

Remain optimistic on Ruscoe and Chugg but even they're not at Aish's level yet. And HB wasn't even Aish's best position IMHO.

A "C grader".... f^%$ing hilarious!
MatthewBoydFanClub
Been liked: 1 time

Post by MatthewBoydFanClub »

I purposely didn’t mention Jack Crisp because someone would have said he needs to play in the midfield. Can we please move on from Aish? Aish is no longer with us. We have plenty of options where Aish’s position on the field would have been. We had no option anyway to move on Aish because of our salary cap issues. Aish was the least of our issues.