#2 Jordan De Goey

This is a Collingwood Bulletin Board - use this forum for general, Pies-related topics. For other footy topics, use Nick's Other AFL forum, and for non-footy sporting topics please use Nick's Sports Bar. For non-sporting topics please use the Victoria Park Tavern.

Moderator: bbmods

Collingwouldn't
Been liked: 2 times

Post by Collingwouldn't »

pablo wrote:I'm pretty happy about all this.

He'll get himself on the straight and narrow or he won't.
If he does he will be a very good to outstanding player for us.
If he doesn't, he doesn't.

But, and here's what I'm happy about.
It's now a much lower cost / risk for the club.

If we had to stump a million or more in 2022 to renew, it's likely to now be as much as a 50% discount, supply and demand.

We could have an absolute A-grader at bargain basement prices or lose a player completely but not have a disastrous salary cap impact.

What a selfless angle, Pablo. If I were alone in an elevator with you, I'd be nervous.
And no morale impact because list will see substantial financial consequences.
Harrysz
Been liked: 4 times

Post by Harrysz »

E seems to know a lot without having been there. The lady was happy with the attention! Gee. You'd want E on your jury wouldn't you, especially if he brought his attitude of "good fun gropes".
PyreneesPie
Has liked: 66 times

Post by PyreneesPie »

MJ23 wrote:
jackcass wrote:Doesn't the concept of "common decency" also require full consideration and weighing of all the evidence before hanging anyone?
This.
I cannot beleive what people are prepared to beleive as "fact" when no-one here knows any facts at all. Personal experience does not buy more knowledge of this incident than anyone else has.
Yep, agree.
Bleedblackanwhite

Post by Bleedblackanwhite »

I remember when innocent until proven guilty was the cornerstone of western civility. A lot of people seem to forget this. No one knows the facts, but many have already seem to have the noose out ready to go anyway. It’s a shame.
Collingwood forever, forever Collingwood
Born to Pie
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 1 time

Post by Born to Pie »

Bleedblackanwhite wrote:I remember when innocent until proven guilty was the cornerstone of western civility. A lot of people seem to forget this. No one knows the facts, but many have already seem to have the noose out ready to go anyway. It’s a shame.
Exactly, and character evidence is not admissible in a court of law until a guilty verdict is reached.
In the end, it's not going to matter how many breaths you took, but how many moments took your breath away
Jezza
Has liked: 151 times
Been liked: 205 times

Post by Jezza »

I can understand people being disappointed that JDG has got himself into trouble again. The club needs this like a hole in the head.

However, he's entitled to the presumption of innocence. I'll comment further once the hearing takes place next month.
🏆 | 1902 | 1903 | 1910 | 1917 | 1919 | 1927 | 1928 | 1929 | 1930 | 1935 | 1936 | 1953 | 1958 | 1990 | 2010 | 2023 | 🏆
David
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 37 times

Post by David »

"Every time we witness an injustice and do not act, we train our character to be passive in its presence." – Julian Assange
Pies4shaw
Has liked: 74 times
Been liked: 104 times

Post by Pies4shaw »

Jezza wrote:I can understand people being disappointed that JDG has got himself into trouble again. The club needs this like a hole in the head.

However, he's entitled to the presumption of innocence. I'll comment further once the hearing takes place next month.
That's a presumption of the criminal legal process. It has nothing to do with how the Club manages issues.
MJ23

Post by MJ23 »

Pies4shaw wrote:
Jezza wrote:I can understand people being disappointed that JDG has got himself into trouble again. The club needs this like a hole in the head.

That's a presumption of the criminal legal process. It has nothing to do with how the Club manages issues.
Depending on what is or isn't in his contract AND depending on what then does or doesn't happen with the criminal charges - it absolutely has plenty to do with how the club manages this issue.

That is, the decision to stand down right now might be ok, further actions though are very dependent on a great many things.
"Even when Im old and gray, I wont be able to play but Ill still love the game"
Michael Jordan
mattdally

Post by mattdally »

Sounds like the club will end up with egg on it's face after this has concluded.
Jordan is free to travel and does not need to appear in court.

Can't understand why the club acted so quickly to suspend him without speaking with him.
themonk

Post by themonk »

mattdally wrote:Sounds like the club will end up with egg on it's face after this has concluded.

Can't understand why the club acted so quickly to suspend him without speaking with him.
The AFL and media would be tearing up apart if we didn't.

I'm sure the club is talking to Jordie.
MJ23

Post by MJ23 »

themonk wrote:
mattdally wrote:Sounds like the club will end up with egg on it's face after this has concluded.

The AFL and media would be tearing up apart if we didn't.

I'm sure the club is talking to Jordie.
Absolutely. I mean what has "stood down" really meant to him right now?
"Even when Im old and gray, I wont be able to play but Ill still love the game"
Michael Jordan
RudeBoy
Been liked: 76 times

Post by RudeBoy »

Where did you read he doesn't need to appear in court? My understanding was he was still charged with assault.

I'm happy for this not to be the case, in fact, I half expected the assault charge to fall over, but I haven't seen any confirmation of this anywhere.
mattdally

Post by mattdally »

RudeBoy wrote:

Where did you read he doesn't need to appear in court? My understanding was he was still charged with assault.

I'm happy for this not to be the case, in fact, I half expected the assault charge to fall over, but I haven't seen any confirmation of this anywhere.
I read this on HS website - DeGoey's training partner was saying this was the case.
WhyPhilWhy?
Has liked: 26 times
Been liked: 25 times

Post by WhyPhilWhy? »

Yes, his "Training Partner" is a reliable reference all righty.

Given the poor track record of men's sport in Australia in regard to violence towards women, and the fact that DeGoey has form in this and other respects, standing him down as a first reaction sends the right message - to him and to the community.

He doesn't get paid just to play football.