#2 Jordan De Goey

This is a Collingwood Bulletin Board - use this forum for general, Pies-related topics. For other footy topics, use Nick's Other AFL forum, and for non-footy sporting topics please use Nick's Sports Bar. For non-sporting topics please use the Victoria Park Tavern.

Moderator: bbmods

burnsy17

Post by burnsy17 »

Minders must be common at our club (and probably other clubs too!)

I know of a current Pies player who had a minder a few years back, not sure if he still does.

And no, I’m not naming him or telling you where I got the info from…. Others here would know it too.
Beware the swooping Magpie.
WhyPhilWhy?
Has liked: 26 times
Been liked: 25 times

Post by WhyPhilWhy? »

David wrote:^ Seriously? I can't believe clubs actually do that. Sounds like something out of an American mafia film!
All clubs do it and have had some form of it from about the time players became full-time professionals.
David
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 37 times

Post by David »

Well, shows how little I know!
"Every time we witness an injustice and do not act, we train our character to be passive in its presence." – Julian Assange
MJ23

Post by MJ23 »

WhyPhilWhy? wrote:
David wrote:^ Seriously? I can't believe clubs actually do that. Sounds like something out of an American mafia film!
All clubs do it and have had some form of it from about the time players became full-time professionals.
I actually think its a good investment. Didak was going to be traded He had a contract and stood his ground and they couldn't do anything. The bloke looking after him was quiet and unassuming but a serious dude. Dids never had another issue and the rest is history.
"Even when Im old and gray, I wont be able to play but Ill still love the game"
Michael Jordan
David
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 37 times

Post by David »

So what exactly do these guys do, for anyone who knows? Do they follow the player around in waking hours, live with them, just check in with them from time to time, act as a go-between for player and club, or what?
"Every time we witness an injustice and do not act, we train our character to be passive in its presence." – Julian Assange
PyreneesPie
Has liked: 66 times

Post by PyreneesPie »

think positive wrote: Way past time to grow the **** up
Well, along with mitigating environmental factors, that "time" depends on individual brain physiology and chemistry. It's not as simple as saying that by a certain age, someone should've "grown up". If only it was all that easy. :wink:
schuey07

Post by schuey07 »

PyreneesPie wrote:
think positive wrote: Way past time to grow the **** up
Well, along with mitigating environmental factors, that "time" depends on individual brain physiology and chemistry. It's not as simple as saying that by a certain age, someone should've "grown up". If only it was all that easy. :wink:
Thank you. The frontal cortex of the brain doesn’t reach maturity until 25.

The below is taken from another website quoting Robert Sapolsky.

What does that explain? That explains why adolescents are adolescent in their behavior. The sensation-seeking and the risk-taking; the highs are higher and the lows are lower, because the steadying frontal cortical hand there isn't fully up to speed yet, and everything else is a gyroscope out of control. And that's where the impulsivity is from. And that's where the extremes of behavior, and that's why most crime is committed by people at a stage whose frontal cortex is not fully developed yet. That is why most people who do astonishing, wondrously self-sacrificial things don't have the frontal cortex that's fully in gear yet either, and it's not in a position to convince them yet, 'Ah, that's somebody else's problem. Look the other way.'

That's why young adults are exactly how they are. Because the frontal cortex isn't quite there yet, and what you have as a result is more adventurousness and more openness to novelty and more likelihood of seeing somebody who's very different as, in fact, not being that different after all. And more likely to grab a cudgel and smash in somebody's skull who happens to seem like a "Them". And everything, just the tone of everything, is pushed up.

This why just saying grow up doesn’t always get to the underlying problems.
Last edited by schuey07 on Wed Nov 10, 2021 3:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
think positive
Has liked: 237 times
Been liked: 89 times

Post by think positive »

excuses excuses

there is right and there is wrong, and by that age he should know the difference. quite obviously he cant handle his alcohol, he might want to reel that in. or not. there is always jail.
You cant fix stupid, turns out you cant quarantine it either!
schuey07

Post by schuey07 »

think positive wrote:excuses excuses

there is right and there is wrong, and by that age he should know the difference. quite obviously he cant handle his alcohol, he might want to reel that in. or not. there is always jail.
Not an excuse, an explanation as to why the penny hasn’t dropped. Unfortunately we are slaves to our biology.
think positive
Has liked: 237 times
Been liked: 89 times

Post by think positive »

My kids are his age, ergo their friends, only a couple are douches and none get in to trouble with monotonous regularly!

He believes his own press!

Also, my kids are females, I’d cut his balls iff and feed them to him for breaky if he disrespected them!
You cant fix stupid, turns out you cant quarantine it either!
Lazza

Post by Lazza »

My ideal dream remedy for such bad behaviour issues:

Have standard consequences for every player at the club who doesn’t respect the laws or rules the club has put in place. Have it written into their contacts. Educate the player managers about the club’s expectations of the player. Treat every player who has stuffed up the same irrespective of who they are. The employer must have the control to act any way they have to regarding a recalcitrant player. If all the AFL clubs had the same stance, the problem players will be very few. However this need for all the clubs to stand strong against bad behaviour is the very reason this solution wouldn’t work
Don't confuse your current path with your final destination. Just because it's dark and stormy now doesn't meant that you aren't headed for glorious sunshine!
stui magpie
Has liked: 79 times
Been liked: 91 times

Post by stui magpie »

schuey07 wrote:

Not an excuse, an explanation as to why the penny hasn’t dropped. Unfortunately we are slaves to our biology.
Sorry, that doesn't fly.

Personality isn't biologically based. Despite the biology, some boys can demonstrate maturity of actions in their teens, others take til 30, others never get there
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
MJ23

Post by MJ23 »

Dunno. Depends how you look at it. Drank, was aware enough that his drinks were getting stolen and aware enough to defend himself. Then still able to stay in the venue after. Seems to be able to handle his drink just fine.
"Even when Im old and gray, I wont be able to play but Ill still love the game"
Michael Jordan
PyreneesPie
Has liked: 66 times

Post by PyreneesPie »

stui magpie wrote:
schuey07 wrote:

Sorry, that doesn't fly.

Personality isn't biologically based. Despite the biology, some boys can demonstrate maturity of actions in their teens, others take til 30, others never get there

However, all personality types are subjected to the same general physiological processes of brain maturation. The full development of the pre-frontal cortex, which governs the control of impulses is generally not complete until the age of 25 years or thereabouts.

Perhaps some boys just have different innate temperaments to begin with and some can appear to be more mature in their actions at an earlier age than others.

Layer onto this the massive effects of environment and it becomes non-sensical to say that there's a time by which an individual should be mature and "grown up".
stui magpie
Has liked: 79 times
Been liked: 91 times

Post by stui magpie »

Allowing for personality and temperament, not many young men get the same degree of coaching, training and instruction as professional athletes, so comparing general population with them is apples and oranges.

Look, DeGoey went to the USA to work hard and get fit. I have no problem with him doing some partying while he's there, he is on holidays and Melbourne has been locked down for so long, maybe he was a bit like a dog let off the chain, but he does need to learn from the past and check his off field behaviour. That would be otherwise called, growing up. :wink:
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.