The Hydra ~ Caro rears her head again

This is a Collingwood Bulletin Board - use this forum for general, Pies-related topics. For other footy topics, use Nick's Other AFL forum, and for non-footy sporting topics please use Nick's Sports Bar. For non-sporting topics please use the Victoria Park Tavern.

Moderator: bbmods

Ronnie McKeowns boots

Post by Ronnie McKeowns boots »

Up next; the case of the cantankerous old geezers!
"You hate a mean man, a grasping man, a man who wants everything and gives nothing. That’s Collingwood. They are a law unto themselves"

Jack 'Captain Blood' Dyer
Lazza

Post by Lazza »

ronrat wrote:Why do you need a permanent Indigenous, or for that matter LBGTI or arab or whatever person on the board.

I want the best people on and I hope a few of them know about footy clubs.
This. A million times this.

Totally sick to death of supposedly politically correct appointments. How about the word merit? The Collingwood board should have people who are loyal first and foremost to the Collingwood football club. Not to the AFL. What is the purpose of having a committee of management that doesn’t put Collingwood first? Represent the members of the club and their needs. Have the balls to stand up to the AFL if the need arises. I have never met a Collingwood fan who barracks for the AFL
Don't confuse your current path with your final destination. Just because it's dark and stormy now doesn't meant that you aren't headed for glorious sunshine!
pietillidie
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 28 times

Post by pietillidie »

Let's move beyond the reflexive and assess this more carefully.

Appointing a random Bulldogs supporter to the board because she's a woman is detached idiocy. Creating a permanent indigenous seat for respected, die-hard indigenous Collingwood people to fill in order to represent the club across the country is leadership, which everyone accepts by necessity also includes an element of enlightened self-interest as we reach out to some of the best talent in the land. And of course there are many ways to institute such a seat for the good of the community and ourselves.

The inability to discuss things sensibly is surely a hallmark of our club. It is virtually impossible to develop serious strategy in an environment where every second utterance triggers a visceral reaction that bypasses people's reasoning faculties. One minute we need talented bad boys; the next the club should own the private lives of players because they earn more than us. One minute we should throw the kitchen sink at someone; the next we should develop youngsters. One minute the club is an embarrassment in the community; the next the club is being politically correct. One minute the club is pandering to minorities and should instead focus on 'our own' minority, indigenous Australians; the next....

We are the most clueless club and supporter base in the country. Merit would actually be relegation to a third division.

A permanent indigenous seat would be leadership, plainly. It is one example of one area of improvement among many needed to build a first-class footballing, commercial and community reputation. In case people haven't noticed after all these years, successful football clubs combine leadership in those three areas, and it is leadership in those three areas that makes a club a preferred destination for the best players in the land.
In the end the rain comes down, washes clean the streets of a blue sky town.
Help Nick's: http://www.magpies.net/nick/bb/fundraising.htm
WhyPhilWhy?
Has liked: 24 times
Been liked: 25 times

Post by WhyPhilWhy? »

Ronnie McKeowns boots wrote:Up next; the case of the cantankerous old geezers!
I've already said I'm not running.
jackcass

Post by jackcass »

WhyPhilWhy? wrote:
Ronnie McKeowns boots wrote:Up next; the case of the cantankerous old geezers!
I've already said I'm not running.
Me either. Don't meet the 24 month requirement, can't be bothered seeking a waiver for it, and I'm pretty sure there's a photo of me not wearing a Collingwood jumper somewhere on the dark web.
David
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 37 times

Post by David »

pietillidie wrote:Let's move beyond the reflexive and assess this more carefully.

Appointing a random Bulldogs supporter to the board because she's a woman is detached idiocy. Creating a permanent indigenous seat for respected, die-hard indigenous Collingwood people to fill in order to represent the club across the country is leadership, which everyone accepts by necessity also includes an element of enlightened self-interest as we reach out to some of the best talent in the land. And of course there are many ways to institute such a seat for the good of the community and ourselves.

The inability to discuss things sensibly is surely a hallmark of our club. It is virtually impossible to develop serious strategy in an environment where every second utterance triggers a visceral reaction that bypasses people's reasoning faculties. One minute we need talented bad boys; the next the club should own the private lives of players because they earn more than us. One minute we should throw the kitchen sink at someone; the next we should develop youngsters. One minute the club is an embarrassment in the community; the next the club is being politically correct. One minute the club is pandering to minorities and should instead focus on 'our own' minority, indigenous Australians; the next....

We are the most clueless club and supporter base in the country. Merit would actually be relegation to a third division.

A permanent indigenous seat would be leadership, plainly. It is one example of one area of improvement among many needed to build a first-class footballing, commercial and community reputation. In case people haven't noticed after all these years, successful football clubs combine leadership in those three areas, and it is leadership in those three areas that makes a club a preferred destination for the best players in the land.
Well said. I wish we had more of this kind of level-headed thinking.
"Every time we witness an injustice and do not act, we train our character to be passive in its presence." – Julian Assange
Lazza

Post by Lazza »

Fighting a losing battle but what is next in line? A newly arrived migrant to pacify the migrant fans? An ex prisoner to empathise with the former prisoners? How many appeasers can we fit into a committee of management?
Don't confuse your current path with your final destination. Just because it's dark and stormy now doesn't meant that you aren't headed for glorious sunshine!
WhyPhilWhy?
Has liked: 24 times
Been liked: 25 times

Post by WhyPhilWhy? »

Why does there have to be something "next in line"? I don't see it as a thin end of the wedge argument at all.

We in particular, and society in general, have a particularly awful history in dealing with the First Nations, who we have clearly and publicly discriminated against, and its a perspective we have to address.

That is not the case with "migrants" or "prisoners", though we've only recently addressed women's rights issues as well.
robevpau1

Post by robevpau1 »

Barrie Cassidy has been @CollingwoodFC member for 37 years, but can’t vote at the upcoming election or be properly eligible for the board - a position of many at this @AFL club “of the people”. Time for the Pies & others to expand member voting rights. ~ Jake Niall

"Time for democracy at Collingwood. Unlike privately owned US franchises Collingwood is owned by the members and voting rights should reflect that." ~ Barrie Cassidy
slangman
Has liked: 23 times
Been liked: 9 times

Post by slangman »

robevpau1 wrote:Barrie Cassidy has been @CollingwoodFC member for 37 years, but can’t vote at the upcoming election or be properly eligible for the board - a position of many at this @AFL club “of the people”. Time for the Pies & others to expand member voting rights. ~ Jake Niall

"Time for democracy at Collingwood. Unlike privately owned US franchises Collingwood is owned by the members and voting rights should reflect that." ~ Barrie Cassidy
Say’s a person who gives the majority of their membership money to the AFL and not to the club.

Maybe the solution could be that members who chose to have an AFL membership and not the clubs can vote but their votes are worth only as
Much as the club add on (the amount that the club receives) ie 10-20%.
So then Barry can vote but his vote will only be a percentage of a full vote that is applicable to full club members.
This could also apply to all membership categories so that 3 game members could also vote but their vote would only be a percentage of a legends members vote.
Everyone gets a vote reflective of their membership level/status.
- Side By Side -
robevpau1

Post by robevpau1 »

Members who pay for a season ticket or alike should get a vote. It is a member based organisation - always been so. If it is to remain a members based organisation, this needs to be addressed. I expect the club will move to fix this quite quickly.
jackcass

Post by jackcass »

MatthewBoydFanClub wrote:I still can’t get over the denial by jackcass of the lack of corporate governance of the Collingwood football club.
Make the claim, make the case.
jackcass

Post by jackcass »

robevpau1 wrote:Barrie Cassidy has been @CollingwoodFC member for 37 years, but can’t vote at the upcoming election or be properly eligible for the board - a position of many at this @AFL club “of the people”. Time for the Pies & others to expand member voting rights. ~ Jake Niall

Wow, sour grapes or what. Voting rights are with the members. Rather than change everything to accommodate Barrie, maybe he could simply upgrade his membership to enable him to participate in that.
makri

Post by makri »

robevpau1 wrote:Members who pay for a season ticket or alike should get a vote. It is a member based organisation - always been so. If it is to remain a members based organisation, this needs to be addressed. I expect the club will move to fix this quite quickly.
Season ticket holders have never been considered members at Collingwood, season ticket sales are purely a revenue stream. You want the right to vote go get a social club membership.
Lazza

Post by Lazza »

jackcass wrote:

Wow, sour grapes or what. Voting rights are with the members. Rather than change everything to accommodate Barrie, maybe he could simply upgrade his membership to enable him to participate in that.
Absolute garbage from Barrie. FFS after 37 bloody years is it just now that he realised that he couldn’t vote on that membership? WTF? He didn’t know that he could merely upgrade his membership to secure voting rights? Really? I have always liked Barrie and his leftist political views but on this issue he is being a silly moron