#2 Jordan De Goey

This is a Collingwood Bulletin Board - use this forum for general, Pies-related topics. For other footy topics, use Nick's Other AFL forum, and for non-footy sporting topics please use Nick's Sports Bar. For non-sporting topics please use the Victoria Park Tavern.

Moderator: bbmods

Charlie Oneeye
Has liked: 32 times
Been liked: 20 times

Post by Charlie Oneeye »

Never lean on a ball when you're taking a piss.
PyreneesPie
Has liked: 66 times

Post by PyreneesPie »

Rd10.1998_11.1#36 wrote:

I’m quite surprised how willing some people are to forgive him again. He’s a liability and I don’t think getting away with it again will change that
I guess it depends to some degree on how we each view our players. To me, they are fallible human beings, ahead of being footballing machines.

Therefore, because I can relate to making mistakes myself, I don't consider that I can elevate myself to a position where JDG needs/wants/ or is due my forgiveness! :wink:

JDG will either finally learn from his mistakes or he won't. He will either remain a Collingwood player or he won't. However, he is far from being the Creature from the Black Lagoon and as such, I'd prefer not to judge and crucify him, but see him given all the support he needs to be the best footballer and person he can be. (If he doesn't get that at Collingwood, I hope he gets it elsewhere).

As I said in a previous post, this doesn't mean avoiding some home truths, but at the same time, providing him with help in developing the skills to make healthy decisions. Some people assume that those skills should miraculously appear by a certain age and if they don't, the person should be discarded as they are a "liability" ....they are wrong IMHO.
PyreneesPie

Post by PyreneesPie »

E wrote:
i was wrongly "imprisoned" in Merrimbula about 30 years ago for allegedly knocking down the tall golf ball at the mini golf venue near the RSL. no matter how many times i told them i was just in the wrong place at the wrong time (i was taking a pee nearby and popped out to a whole lot of commotion just as the cops turned up). I had nothing to do with it and was eventually released without charges. If i was a Collingwood player, I'm sure you would assume the worst of me too.
Oh lordy, this is a funny story!!!
MatthewBoydFanClub
Been liked: 1 time

Post by MatthewBoydFanClub »

PyreneesPie wrote:
Rd10.1998_11.1#36 wrote:

I’m quite surprised how willing some people are to forgive him again. He’s a liability and I don’t think getting away with it again will change that
I guess it depends to some degree on how we each view our players. To me, they are fallible human beings, ahead of being footballing machines.

Therefore, because I can relate to making mistakes myself, I don't consider that I can elevate myself to a position where JDG needs/wants/ or is due my forgiveness! :wink:

JDG will either finally learn from his mistakes or he won't. He will either remain a Collingwood player or he won't. However, he is far from being the Creature from the Black Lagoon and as such, I'd prefer not to judge and crucify him, but see him given all the support he needs to be the best footballer and person he can be. (If he doesn't get that at Collingwood, I hope he gets it elsewhere).

As I said in a previous post, this doesn't mean avoiding some home truths, but at the same time, providing him with help in developing the skills to make healthy decisions. Some people assume that those skills should miraculously appear by a certain age and if they don't, the person should be discarded as they are a "liability" ....they are wrong IMHO.
I agree with all that, but I also agree that the club can't keep forgiving indiscretions of certain players because it penalizes all the players doing the right thing. As I said in a previous post, the team is always greater than the individual. It doesn't matter how good a player you are, if you can't conform to the requirements of the team, you don't deserve to play in the team.
PyreneesPie

Post by PyreneesPie »

^ Yep MBFC, I agree with what you say too about the needs of the team being greater than those of the individual. It's not easy or simple to navigate though, when one impacts upon the other. The Pies in 2022 could possibly be a lesser team without JDG? Thankfully, that's not a decision that will be made by anyone here, although I'm sure some would like to have a say!! :)

I'd be no good as a football administrator, that's for sure, because I'd always look upon the players as individuals with human frailties and intricacies, rather than simply cogs in a wheel. :wink:
Ronnie McKeowns boots

Post by Ronnie McKeowns boots »

David wrote:
E wrote:
Pies4shaw wrote:But, just to be clear, no-one on here cares whether you get imprisoned for sexual assault after a night out in New York, whether on trumped up charges or real ones. The reason for that is not because we're heartless but because - as far as we're all concerned - you can do what you like because you're not messing with Collingwood when you do.
i was wrongly "imprisoned" in Merrimbula about 30 years ago for allegedly knocking down the tall golf ball at the mini golf venue near the RSL. no matter how many times i told them i was just in the wrong place at the wrong time (i was taking a pee nearby and popped out to a whole lot of commotion just as the cops turned up). I had nothing to do with it and was eventually released without charges. If i was a Collingwood player, I'm sure you would assume the worst of me too.

I'm not sure they call it prison until you are convicted mate, but i get your point.
That's a hilarious story. Wouldn't you have needed heavy machinery? Or did they really think you pushed it over with your bare hands? :lol:

Hope you kept the local newspaper clippings about the incident for posterity, at any rate! :mrgreen:
That was you was it E?

Lemme tell you something for nothing, Top Fun has never recovered from that blow to its prestige, its a shadow of its former self, and while some might say it has to do with other factors, I cant help but feel it lost its soul when it lost its Big Ball...

For shame Sir!
think positive
Has liked: 237 times
Been liked: 89 times

Post by think positive »

Pies4shaw wrote:But, just to be clear, no-one on here cares whether you get imprisoned for sexual assault after a night out in New York, whether on trumped up charges or real ones. The reason for that is not because we're heartless but because - as far as we're all concerned - you can do what you like because you're not messing with Collingwood when you do.
Love it so true and I Loled!
You cant fix stupid, turns out you cant quarantine it either!
think positive

Post by think positive »

Rd10.1998_11.1#36 wrote:Knocking back on offer from lolnorf isn’t exactly a ringing endorsement of loyalty… there’s a very long list of players who have done that lately, because THEY'RE A BASKETCASE and nobody wants to go there by choice
Back bucks wrote: i believe he is innocent and was in the wrong place at the wrong time.
The time and place were very much of his choosing… it’s a 5 hour flight from LA to NYC. Then he chose to go to a $$%^%%$ nightclub in a bathrobe while clearly off his head AND let videos get posted of it to boot AND then get in a fight, even if nothing else happened

The “we all did dumb shit when we were young” excuse wears a bit thin after the fourth or fifth time. Most people who just got off a sexual assault charge a few months ago would be doing anything they could not to put themselves at risk again. Most people who were in a contract year that could set them up ditto. Most people that had finally generated some positive headlines ditto

But not this bloke. Let’s fly to NYC with my knob mate and risk jail time again, in a foreign country this time.

This so much this!
I’d given up, bravo!
Rd10.1998_11.1#36
Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 5 times

Post by Rd10.1998_11.1#36 »

E wrote: i'm a lot more grown up than Jordan!
I feel that may be debatable but happily you’re not the one making negative headlines for the club
Rd10.1998_11.1#36
Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 5 times

Post by Rd10.1998_11.1#36 »

PyreneesPie wrote: I guess it depends to some degree on how we each view our players. To me, they are fallible human beings, ahead of being footballing machines.
How about just expecting them to have some common sense and a basic sense of self-preservation, is that too much to ask? You know, like most of his teammates.
PyreneesPie wrote: As I said in a previous post, this doesn't mean avoiding some home truths, but at the same time, providing him with help in developing the skills to make healthy decisions. Some people assume that those skills should miraculously appear by a certain age.
Clearly they don’t, then again I have sent seen anybody say that. What I said was that having been through multiple incidents over the last 5? years, including ones perhaps not dissimilar to this one l, as well as just getting the case that has been hanging over his head dropped literally a few months ago, and having presumably received plenty of the “help” you’re talking about, that might have had some impact. Seems pretty clear to me it hasn’t and I think that’s one of the “home truths” you are doing your best to avoid

Again, what I said was that when you’re in a contract year, have been copping shit as “Kmart dusty”, have said you want to “do a Petracca” and after multiple problems, including lying to the club, the last thing I would be doing is exactly what he did. Being all over social media pinging off his head in a bathrobe on the other side of the country from where he’s been training would be embarrassing enough even without the charges, after the year we’ve all just endured.

Now I’m expected shrug and say Boys will be boys? Not much in the way of home truths there. If he wants to be a couldabeen that’s up to him, he can do it on someone else’s dime.

Once again, another Collingwood preseason derailed before it’s even begun. Our new coach must be thrilled to bits. And people wonder why we’ve only won 2 flags in 62 years.
eddiesmith
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 18 times

Post by eddiesmith »

It's quite clear that no matter what happens legally, it seems plenty of so called Collingwood 'supporters' have already found him guilty and will never be convinced otherwise.
think positive

Post by think positive »

eddiesmith wrote:It's quite clear that no matter what happens legally, it seems plenty of so called Collingwood 'supporters' have already found him guilty and will never be convinced otherwise.
stick your ' ' where the sun dont shine! he is certainly guilty of being a dickhead, as the post above describes, enough is enough he should not have put himself in this position in the first place. its not hard, dont get drunk and act like a tool, where is the brain surgery in that?
RudeBoy
Been liked: 78 times

Post by RudeBoy »

I agree TP that he is a dickhead. Nevertheless, he is our dickhead, so I hope we can work on helping him to grow up. Like it or not, he is way too talented for us to just give up and disgard him. I've got no problem with a bit of tough love, if that's what it takes.
think positive

Post by think positive »

RudeBoy wrote:I agree TP that he is a dickhead. Nevertheless, he is our dickhead, so I hope we can work on helping him to grow up. Like it or not, he is way too talented for us to just give up and disgard him. I've got no problem with a bit of tough love, if that's what it takes.
provided hes found not guilty i agree.

not sure that he is not guilty but id go along with it
Quincy

Post by Quincy »

eddiesmith wrote:It's quite clear that no matter what happens legally, it seems plenty of so called Collingwood 'supporters' have already found him guilty and will never be convinced otherwise.
Disagree, I see many thinking of the charges as being trumped up and they would keep him at all costs.