The Hydra ~ Caro rears her head again

This is a Collingwood Bulletin Board - use this forum for general, Pies-related topics. For other footy topics, use Nick's Other AFL forum, and for non-footy sporting topics please use Nick's Sports Bar. For non-sporting topics please use the Victoria Park Tavern.

Moderator: bbmods

MatthewBoydFanClub
Been liked: 1 time

Post by MatthewBoydFanClub »

Lazza wrote:
jackcass wrote:
robevpau1 wrote:Barrie Cassidy has been @CollingwoodFC member for 37 years, but can’t vote at the upcoming election or be properly eligible for the board - a position of many at this @AFL club “of the people”. Time for the Pies & others to expand member voting rights. ~ Jake Niall

"Time for democracy at Collingwood. Unlike privately owned US franchises Collingwood is owned by the members and voting rights should reflect that." ~ Barrie Cassidy
Wow, sour grapes or what. Voting rights are with the members. Rather than change everything to accommodate Barrie, maybe he could simply upgrade his membership to enable him to participate in that.
Absolute garbage from Barrie. FFS after 37 bloody years is it just now that he realised that he couldn’t vote on that membership? WTF? He didn’t know that he could merely upgrade his membership to secure voting rights? Really? I have always liked Barrie and his leftist political views but on this issue he is being a silly moron
Lazza

Post by Lazza »

Hang on to your hat mate! To put it simply, can’t current voting members vote on a motion to expand Collingwood football club voting rights to include Social Club members or other similar non voting members if this is what the majority of members would like to see happen? Isn’t that democracy?
Don't confuse your current path with your final destination. Just because it's dark and stormy now doesn't meant that you aren't headed for glorious sunshine!
jackcass

Post by jackcass »

[quote="Lazza"]

Absolute garbage from Barrie. FFS after 37 bloody years is it just now that he realised that he couldn’t vote on that membership? WTF? He didn’t know that he could merely upgrade his membership to secure voting rights? Really? I have always liked Barrie and his leftist political views but on this issue he is being a silly moron
Charlie Oneeye
Has liked: 21 times
Been liked: 15 times

Post by Charlie Oneeye »

I've known that all my football going life. It's not that hard to understand.
He's a member for a long time, and then suddenly.. 'Ohhh gosh, I can't vote!' D Head.

In the main , been this way for 120 years. The Internet woke group is in shock.

Actually, I realise apart from the long-term haters, there would be a lot of <40 yr olds who have only witnessed an 'Eddie empire', they wouldn't have lived through the direction of shitness the club was heading into before he took over.

Let's have 3 game membership vote, or 1 game.

Maybe if you say you support Collingwood and have dinner in the social club, you can vote !

13.000 not enough ? These are the diehards and by virtue of their memberships are most worthy to be trusted to vote in the best interest of the club.

Do we want another 20,000 who get a gift for xmas (or whatever) voting too ? Does that make the result stronger ? Or fairer/better ? Define the purpose.
Rd10.1998_11.1#36
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 5 times

Post by Rd10.1998_11.1#36 »

^^Thought I had accidentally stumbled onto the Melbourne cheese platters website for a minute… I hope your monocle didn’t fall in your soup at the thought of the Great Unwashed having a say in anything.

While I don’t want 3 game etc. holders to have a vote, I don’t see anything wrong with expanding the current eligibles - this would also provide a broader catchment for board members without the need for the usual post-appointment exceptions, which have caused us some heartache recently.

I believe season tickets holders at Hawthorn get a vote and it doesn’t seem to have crippled them in any way, Jeff notwithstanding. They’re only 10% behind us in total membership.

Is Collingwood really more elitist than the pokies-owning “family club” from Dingley??
makri wrote:Season ticket holders have never been considered members at Collingwood.
They have not been considered voting members… they're certainly considered members when the club (or AFL) wants a headline about membership numbers.

“It’s been that way for 120 years” has never been a good reason for avoiding change
MatthewBoydFanClub
Been liked: 1 time

Post by MatthewBoydFanClub »

Charlie Oneeye wrote:I've known that all my football going life. It's not that hard to understand.
He's a member for a long time, and then suddenly.. 'Ohhh gosh, I can't vote!' D Head.

In the main , been this way for 120 years. The Internet woke group is in shock.

Actually, I realise apart from the long-term haters, there would be a lot of <40 yr olds who have only witnessed an 'Eddie empire', they wouldn't have lived through the direction of shitness the club was heading into before he took over.

Let's have 3 game membership vote, or 1 game.

Maybe if you say you support Collingwood and have dinner in the social club, you can vote !

13.000 not enough ? These are the diehards and by virtue of their memberships are most worthy to be trusted to vote in the best interest of the club.

Do we want another 20,000 who get a gift for xmas (or whatever) voting too ? Does that make the result stronger ? Or fairer/better ? Define the purpose.
Do you know what you have now? You have twelve and half actual members of the CFC, which is the smallest AFL membership and the other 70,000 are the ones who say they barrack for Collingwood and receive a cap and a scarf each year from the club. So keep enjoying the illusion that the CFC is the biggest membership in Australia.
RudeBoy
Been liked: 73 times

Post by RudeBoy »

I'm with you on this MBFC. The elitist culture at Collingwood is strangling us imo. Unfortunately, I'm not convinced that Browne and co represent the new broom we desperately need.
David
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 37 times

Post by David »

Rd10.1998_11.1#36 wrote:^^Thought I had accidentally stumbled onto the Melbourne cheese platters website for a minute… I hope your monocle didn’t fall in your soup at the thought of the Great Unwashed having a say in anything.

While I don’t want 3 game etc. holders to have a vote, I don’t see anything wrong with expanding the current eligibles - this would also provide a broader catchment for board members without the need for the usual post-appointment exceptions, which have caused us some heartache recently.

I believe season tickets holders at Hawthorn get a vote and it doesn’t seem to have crippled them in any way, Jeff notwithstanding. They’re only 10% behind us in total membership.

Is Collingwood really more elitist than the pokies-owning “family club” from Dingley??
makri wrote:Season ticket holders have never been considered members at Collingwood.
They have not been considered voting members… they're certainly considered members when the club (or AFL) wants a headline about membership numbers.

“It’s been that way for 120 years” has never been a good reason for avoiding change
Well said. No reason why season ticket holders (that is, members) shouldn’t have a vote. The only reason to fear that is if you fear democracy and a majority of financially committed supporters having their say.
"Every time we witness an injustice and do not act, we train our character to be passive in its presence." – Julian Assange
23 YIPPEE!!!

Post by 23 YIPPEE!!! »

Whens this EGM
Rd10.1998_11.1#36

There isn’t going to be an EGM

Just the normal AGM which was moved forward to Dec 15
Lazza

Post by Lazza »

David wrote: Well said. No reason why season ticket holders (that is, members) shouldn’t have a vote. The only reason to fear that is if you fear democracy and a majority of financially committed supporters having their say.
So there is nothing actually preventing a current voting member presenting a motion at the AGM supporting Season ticket holders right to become voting members? If this is the case, isn’t it an easy solution of putting together a motion on this issue and letting the democratic voting process take its course?
Don't confuse your current path with your final destination. Just because it's dark and stormy now doesn't meant that you aren't headed for glorious sunshine!
Magpie Russ
Has liked: 24 times
Been liked: 16 times

Post by Magpie Russ »

[quote="jackcass"][quote="Lazza"]

Rd10.1998_11.1#36

Lazza wrote:So there is nothing actually preventing a current voting member presenting a motion at the AGM supporting Season ticket holders right to become voting members? If this is the case, isn’t it an easy solution of putting together a motion on this issue and letting the democratic voting process take its course?
The people making the motion and voting on it would be the people who qualify to vote under the current rules

Bit like telling the suffragettes to let the men vote on whether women should be allowed to vote or not
scoobydoo

Post by scoobydoo »

MatthewBoydFanClub wrote:
Lazza wrote:
jackcass wrote: Wow, sour grapes or what. Voting rights are with the members. Rather than change everything to accommodate Barrie, maybe he could simply upgrade his membership to enable him to participate in that.
scoobydoo

Post by scoobydoo »

Rd10.1998_11.1#36 wrote:^^Thought I had accidentally stumbled onto the Melbourne cheese platters website for a minute… I hope your monocle didn’t fall in your soup at the thought of the Great Unwashed having a say in anything.

Wonder why this mess never happened under Ed.