The Hydra ~ Caro rears her head again

This is a Collingwood Bulletin Board - use this forum for general, Pies-related topics. For other footy topics, use Nick's Other AFL forum, and for non-footy sporting topics please use Nick's Sports Bar. For non-sporting topics please use the Victoria Park Tavern.

Moderator: bbmods

piffdog
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 37 times

Post by piffdog »

makri wrote:
Rd10.1998_11.1#36 wrote:It’s fiinger licking’ goo… er, I mean how disgraceful. Won’t somebody pleeease think of the children!
Never understood how a brand like KFC can be associated with elite sport but then I suppose Cricket in this country wouldn't be where it is today without the tobacco sponsorship dollars in the 80's/90's same goes for F1.
Really? Surely we all recognise that gambling is a more insidious scourge on humanity than fried chicken?? What about Coca Cola? All that sugar… how about Qantas (but ….. the emissions…). Ok - only the big four banks are virtuous enough to sponsor our football club…

I don’t see what the big deal is.
It's never as good/nor bad as it seems...
David
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 35 times

Post by David »

"Every time we witness an injustice and do not act, we train our character to be passive in its presence." – Julian Assange
Jezza
Has liked: 128 times
Been liked: 191 times

Post by Jezza »

Thanks, David :)

That's very informative.
🏆 | 1902 | 1903 | 1910 | 1917 | 1919 | 1927 | 1928 | 1929 | 1930 | 1935 | 1936 | 1953 | 1958 | 1990 | 2010 | 2023 | 🏆
Jezza
Has liked: 128 times
Been liked: 191 times

Post by Jezza »

The General wrote:So is it the KFC centre now? If so, I hope they do drive through.
No, KFC is replacing CGU as a major sponsor.

We still need to find a sponsor to replace Holden.
🏆 | 1902 | 1903 | 1910 | 1917 | 1919 | 1927 | 1928 | 1929 | 1930 | 1935 | 1936 | 1953 | 1958 | 1990 | 2010 | 2023 | 🏆
David

Post by David »

Mark Febbraio has just provided some (very in-depth) responses as well:
GOVERNANCE
1. What is your position on voting rights only being available to social club members? Do you support expanding the franchise to all members?

I am 100% in support of expanding the franchise to all members. The voting system at the moment has to be the way it is due to the constitution. However, if I happen to become a board member I am in favour of constitutional reform.

2. How frequently do you feel elections should be held, and what other accountability initiatives do you support?
I do not think each part of this question go hand in hand. Democratic voting is important, but spilled boards and ballots can bring the club in disrepute. I do not think, this two-part question is easy to answer. For many years the membership was happy with the previous regime untile it wasn’t. The initiatives, I support are membership engagement. The board is beheld to the membership, so frequent on-line surveys from the board is an initiative I support.

3. What is your view on term limits for the President and other members of the board? Do you support them and if so how often should renewal occur?
Currently a board member is elected for 3 years. I support the current arrangement. A board member must have time to grow into the position, to be evaluated and to decide whether to nominate after 3 years. The terms of the President should be no different.

4. What is your view on the "Do Better" report and how the report itself was handled?
I think the intention of the Do Better report was in the interests of the club, but the execution was suboptimal. My goal is to have the culture of the club change in terms of diversity, inclusion and equity. This is a major platform on which I stand. I abhor racism and I want to make the club a place where a Do Better Report is not even on the radar. I support, Jodie Sizer, and Christina Holgate and I think Paul Licuria is a person of enormous character.

5. What are recent shortcomings in the way the board has been run, in your view, and what are you willing to do to achieve change?
I can’t answer this with 100% confidence as I am not in the inside. I have spoken with Paul Licuria once. Apart from that I do not know how the club was administered from the inside. I am a scientist and as such, I am reticent to make any comments based on speculation or assumption. I am a facts based person.

6. What can the Collingwood Football Club do to be a better corporate citizen? What ethical guidelines would you be willing to implement to push us in that direction?
The lifeblood of the Collingwood Football Club rests with its supporters and members. I am committed to try and engage more with grassroots. I am not a corporate. I have sat on Level 2 in the Ponsford stand for 20 years. I love the fans. We need to do more for them. In addition, our image has suffered from constant incidents of racist behaviour and player misdemeanours. We need to be less tolerant of these behaviours to become a better corporate citizen. I also believe decisions need to reflect the membership. For example do members really care if Port Adelaide wore their ‘prison bar’ jumper more frequently? I wouldn’t know because, to my knowledge, the members haven’t been surveyed on this. However, many members I talk to do not see it as an issue that requires digging in of the heels to antagonise the rest of the competition.

ONFIELD
7. What do you think is the secret to the consistent excellence of clubs like Geelong and Hawthorn? What do they do differently?

First and foremost, success on field depends on the sum of the parts. The club needs an elite coaching staff that has an emphasis on player welfare and player management. It needs elite training facilities. It requires elite fitness, medical (including psychological) staff. THIS AREA IS MY PLATFORM AND MY POINT OF DIFFERENCE. No other candidate has my background in elite sport or sustained success in the medical sciences. In short, the secret to sustained success is to become a step ahead in all of these areas I have referenced. This is especially important when you have an equalised competition with player number limitations, a salary cap and a draft.

8. What can you do to help Collingwood be a destination of choice for top draft picks and seasoned recruits?
Apart from my professional experience in Management and Medical Research, I firmly believe that my background, both in elite sport and evidence-based science, has much to offer for this organisation. Specifically, the areas of Medical and Training Services is an area where improvement is warranted, and with my unique background, it’s an area where I can provide a point of difference on the Board of the Collingwood Football Club. This area is of great importance for several reasons. High performance training is moving into the era of artificial intelligence/machine learning, where a physiological passport can be fed into an algorithm to predict training load and injury management. I have skill and expertise with these resources and new technologies. As stated above, I have some experience in the training services area at an AFL (then VFL) football club and was contacted by The Collingwood Football Club in 1993 (Leigh Matthews/Graeme Allen) to apply for the vacant head of training services following the departure of Mark McKeon. I chose to stay in scientific research. I, nonetheless, have maintained a keen interest in this area that I am familiar with. The careful risk management, greater oversight and deep insight in this area is of paramount importance. One only needs to look at recent history in the AFL, to see the ramifications of poor risk management of the training services and medical management programs and mistakes in this area are costly to AFL clubs. The other area where I would value add in is community development and outreach.

9. What is the right balance between player rights and privacy on the one hand, and club commitments and reputation on the other? Is there room for improvement in either direction?
I have fairly strong views in this area which may polarise. I am only speaking here for AFL mens, as the AFLW is in its infancy. As a former ironman triathlete, I understand the behaviours necessary to become an elite sportsman. Players in the AFL sign a contract to play a sport that is not international. Given this fact, it I my belief that they are extremely well paid. They are entitled to privacy and rights as any employee, but their high salaries are largely as a result of the enormous exposure AFL football gets in the media. There is a knock on to media rights and club membership. Therefore, by recognising this, each player must understand that with the privilege comes enormous responsibility. Too often player behaviour, particularly in the off season has brought unwanted media scrutiny on the club and caused distractions. I think tolerance of these behaviours needs to tighten

MEMBERSHIP
10. Collingwood has one of the largest supporter bases around the country, but is unable to translate that into the biggest membership base. What can you offer to engage non-members to sign up with the club?

This is the other area where I would value add; community development and outreach. I am unashamedly non-corporate and understand the value of community as the lifeblood of the Collingwood Football Club. I firmly believe we, as a club, can do more for loyal members and translate supporters into members, especially given the loyalty of the membership in the Covid-19 era. This will involve greater community outreach by the player group and a variety of diverse and inexpensive member packages. We need to entice the supporters to take the first step. A well resourced and committed community development department is vital to traslate supporters into members.
"Every time we witness an injustice and do not act, we train our character to be passive in its presence." – Julian Assange
seancallanan

Post by seancallanan »

@seancallanan
Running for Collingwood FC Board
SeanCallanan.com
pietillidie
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 28 times

Post by pietillidie »

In the end the rain comes down, washes clean the streets of a blue sky town.
Help Nick's: http://www.magpies.net/nick/bb/fundraising.htm
seancallanan

Post by seancallanan »

It's all in the member's hands (that can vote). They will select the board and the board selects the President. The media doesn't know what people will vote neither do I.

I would have preferred more information to be presented to the members but we were restricted to the 200-word bio you see on the site, I would like to hear more from the nominees but the Pies digital media department are keeping out of the process to not favour any nominee which I understand.

Hopefully Swoop Luke can interview more nominees, here is my chat with him https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FiBBcYz51gY&t=46s
@seancallanan
Running for Collingwood FC Board
SeanCallanan.com
Rd10.1998_11.1#36
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 5 times

Post by Rd10.1998_11.1#36 »

Good work David. Great to get some detailed responses from the candidates
K
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 17 times

Post by K »

pietillidie wrote:...
Sorry, unclear wording on my part. I mean the informal SWOT they carry around in their head, as opposed to something lifted from a formal document. Just answering this alone and explaining what they bring to the table in relation thereto would tell you all you need about them. It's an interview question: without looking up a document, what is the SWOT you carry around in your head about the CFC?

If you don't make them define the SWOTs, they will talk vague drivel about the club. If you don't make them say how they will deal with the SWOTs, they will talk vague drivel about themselves. It forces them to explain their understanding of the club's current position in context, view themselves as a role player in a team, and prioritise their actions (prioritisation is a great follow-up question, in fact).

E.g., take technology. We're obviously technologically backward, but it takes some serious smarts and know-how to build a tech edge into an organisation. If a candidate failed to identify this in the weaknesses, threats and opportunities, and failed to explain how they will grapple with this beyond the cringeworthy 'I will hire the best in the business', then it's adios. Strategic tech smarts are a basic leadership literacy; they're simply not optional.
Can you expand on this? In what ways are we technologically backward?
K
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 17 times

Post by K »

David wrote:Sean Callanan has very generously taken the time to respond to the questions I sent him. I've pasted in his responses below...
3. What is your view on term limits for the President and other members of the board? Do you support them and if so how often should renewal occur?
If elections are held consistently as board members 3-year terms end I don't have a problem with a board member staying on as they will be voting in by the members.
David wrote:Mark Febbraio has just provided some (very in-depth) responses as well:
Currently a board member is elected for 3 years. I support the current arrangement. A board member must have time to grow into the position, to be evaluated and to decide whether to nominate after 3 years. The terms of the President should be no different.
Okay, does that mean both will oppose the changes Korda announced in September? :?:

Korda: "Our intention to introduce a long overdue reform of our conditions of board tenure will also be in place after consultation with members. In keeping with best governance practice, we intend to set a limit on the tenure of a director to three terms, or 9 years, and limit the maximum tenure for a president to two terms, or six years."
David

Post by David »

Lazza

Post by Lazza »

Gold star to you David ⭐️
Don't confuse your current path with your final destination. Just because it's dark and stormy now doesn't meant that you aren't headed for glorious sunshine!
Rd10.1998_11.1#36
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 5 times

Post by Rd10.1998_11.1#36 »

K wrote:Okay, does that mean both will oppose the changes Korda announced in September?
As per your quote our current president announced an “intention to change”. Changes require a board vote in these post-Eddie times. Korda may not be on the board by then. The candidates have stated their positions quite clearly I think
makri

Post by makri »

Surprised at how painless the voting process was. Didn't even consider Wilson, not eligible.