The Hydra ~ Caro rears her head again

This is a Collingwood Bulletin Board - use this forum for general, Pies-related topics. For other footy topics, use Nick's Other AFL forum, and for non-footy sporting topics please use Nick's Sports Bar. For non-sporting topics please use the Victoria Park Tavern.

Moderator: bbmods

pietillidie
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 28 times

Post by pietillidie »

K wrote:
pietillidie wrote:...E.g., take technology. We're obviously technologically backward, but it takes some serious smarts and know-how to build a tech edge into an organisation. If a candidate failed to identify this in the weaknesses, threats and opportunities, and failed to explain how they will grapple with this beyond the cringeworthy 'I will hire the best in the business', then it's adios. Strategic tech smarts are a basic leadership literacy; they're simply not optional.
Can you expand on this? In what ways are we technologically backward?
Where's our leading-edge IoT/5G programme? Where's our machine learning and AI sports lab? Where's our genomic and cell therapy sports lab? Where are our tie-ups with world-leading tech firms, research labs and universities? Where are our publication streams and research sponsorships? Where is our funding of startups and research teams at the cutting-edge of these areas? Who on our board has a serious knowledge of these things?

You can tell by the experience and qualifications at the club, for starters, and then through the media, tie-ups and talk throughout the year. Have you ever once thought: geez, that's world-leading or that's world class? There might be a little happening here and there, but no one hides those kinds of innovations because the publicity helps fund them. Unless you're Essendon and it's illegal, or we have a sporting Manhatran Project underway somewhere.
In the end the rain comes down, washes clean the streets of a blue sky town.
Help Nick's: http://www.magpies.net/nick/bb/fundraising.htm
Rd10.1998_11.1#36
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 5 times

Post by Rd10.1998_11.1#36 »

To be fair, Essendon did put a lot of clubs off that particular agenda
RudeBoy
Been liked: 73 times

Post by RudeBoy »

Many thanks David. Your questions were great, and it is terrific that you got responses and posted them up for us all. We are all much more enlightened as a result.
slangman
Has liked: 23 times
Been liked: 9 times

Post by slangman »

- Side By Side -
David
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 35 times

Post by David »

"Every time we witness an injustice and do not act, we train our character to be passive in its presence." – Julian Assange
pietillidie
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 28 times

Post by pietillidie »

In the end the rain comes down, washes clean the streets of a blue sky town.
Help Nick's: http://www.magpies.net/nick/bb/fundraising.htm
Rd10.1998_11.1#36

slangman wrote:Browne knows the workings of the AFL in a way that probably Eddie didn’t even know so to label him with such a sexist term is blatantly dismissing the value that he could bring to the club
Oh, please... it's called the old boy's club for a reason
Rd10.1998_11.1#36

David wrote:forgive me if I’m misremembering the order of events, but wasn’t the Browne candidacy announced after the (unsuccessful) grassroots petition for an EGM had already gathered steam
Nothing wrong with your memory
seancallanan

Post by seancallanan »

Nominations & timeline.

Following up on narrative above. From my prospective I watched with interest the push for EGM without any viable plan on who would step in. Should an EGM have been called I would have put my hand up. The last thing the club needed was more noise & distraction.

Once things settled to have an ACTUAL election I put my hand up to provide my expertise on the board. I believe the members should have a say on who is on the board and board members should act in 5he interests of the club and members.

Let's get to the vote, the board will decide who the President is. If that's Browne or Licca or Holgate I'd be happy to support them and keep them accountable to the members.
@seancallanan
Running for Collingwood FC Board
SeanCallanan.com
23 YIPPEE!!!

Post by 23 YIPPEE!!! »

How about Gary Pert as our president
Lazza

Post by Lazza »

Rd10.1998_11.1#36 wrote:
slangman wrote:Browne knows the workings of the AFL in a way that probably Eddie didn’t even know so to label him with such a sexist term is blatantly dismissing the value that he could bring to the club
So is the term “old school tie” sexist as well even though most schoolgirl uniforms require a tie?
Don't confuse your current path with your final destination. Just because it's dark and stormy now doesn't meant that you aren't headed for glorious sunshine!
David
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 35 times

Post by David »

Here are Amanda Cameron’s responses:
GOVERNANCE
1. What is your position on voting rights only being available to social club members? Do you support expanding the franchise to all members?

Yes I believe in expanding out the voting rights to an expanded number of members however as there are many different types of members closer scrutiny needs to be given rather than just all members. Maybe not the pets!

2. How frequently do you feel elections should be held, and what other accountability initiatives do you support?
I believe that vacancies on the board should always be advertised so that members have the ability to nominate there an election maybe necessary. I think these processes should be clear and transparent to all the members not just the few.

3. What is your view on term limits for the President and other members of the board? Do you support them and if so how often should renewal occur?
On most public boards members are elected for 1 or 3 year terms with a total of 9 years. I believe this should also apply to the club. The president therefore can only have a total term of 9 years.

4. What is your view on the "Do Better" report and how the report itself was handled?
I am confident that Collingwood can progress the findings of the report successfully. They way it was handled in the media was very unfortunate and had not been well thought through.

5. What are recent shortcomings in the way the board has been run, in your view, and what are you willing to do to achieve change?
I am an independent candidate which I believe to be very important, the short comings of the board recently has been it’s lack of transparency and governance. I believe I can bring a different perspective to the decision making of the board and represent the members point of view

6. What can the Collingwood Football Club do to be a better corporate citizen? What ethical guidelines would you be willing to implement to push us in that direction?
The club does already do a large number of activities that make it a good corporate citizen, partnership with the Salvos, the magpie nest housing etc. There may be more that could be done around sustainability and ethical decision making.

ONFIELD
7. What do you think is the secret to the consistent excellence of clubs like Geelong and Hawthorn? What do they do differently?

Good club culture that starts at the top and is infused into every part of the club. They also truly believe in values that they model and live by.

8. What can you do to help Collingwood be a destination of choice for top draft picks and seasoned recruits?
As a board member it is their responsibility to set the strategic direction of the club then keep the CEO accountable for the delivery of the outcomes including the football department. By improving the culture you will make Collingwood a destination of choice for the right reasons.

9. What is the right balance between player rights and privacy on the one hand, and club commitments and reputation on the other? Is there room for improvement in either direction?
This is a tricky balance and difficult to get right 100% of the time. It is always good to think about what it would look like on the front page of the paper or social media and work back from there.

MEMBERSHIP
10. Collingwood has one of the largest supporter bases around the country, but is unable to translate that into the biggest membership base. What can you offer to engage non-members to sign up with the club?

The number one thing that translates into memberships is success on the field as demonstrated by Richmond.
I must say the varying responses to question 6 have been very interesting.
"Every time we witness an injustice and do not act, we train our character to be passive in its presence." – Julian Assange
Presti35
Has liked: 164 times
Been liked: 62 times

Post by Presti35 »

Before reading everything in this thread, I have liked Callanan and Febbriao the most.

Macdonald is very young and his resume reads very closely to my own. 5th generation supporter and the exact same years as a member/legends member. Weird.

Not feeling it from Roberts or Cameron at all. Perna has links to Tennis Australia and the NBL. Is Browne really the man to take us forward?

I dont know. I'm thinking Callanan, Febbriao, Holgate and....???
A Goal Saved Is 2 Goals Earned!
slangman
Has liked: 23 times
Been liked: 9 times

Post by slangman »

Rd10.1998_11.1#36 wrote:
Casual sexism is no different to casual racism.
Both are unacceptable.
- Side By Side -
Jezza
Has liked: 128 times
Been liked: 191 times

Post by Jezza »

Browne briefly speaks to 7News about his plans after addressing some members at the Grace Darling Hotel earlier today.

https://twitter.com/7NewsMelbourne/stat ... 9482349570
🏆 | 1902 | 1903 | 1910 | 1917 | 1919 | 1927 | 1928 | 1929 | 1930 | 1935 | 1936 | 1953 | 1958 | 1990 | 2010 | 2023 | 🏆