The 2021 Great Big Consolidated Trade & Draft thread

This is a Collingwood Bulletin Board - use this forum for general, Pies-related topics. For other footy topics, use Nick's Other AFL forum, and for non-footy sporting topics please use Nick's Sports Bar. For non-sporting topics please use the Victoria Park Tavern.

Moderator: bbmods

Mr Miyagi
Has liked: 48 times
Been liked: 113 times

Post by Mr Miyagi »

Wait, the draft is split over several nights now?!
Pies2016
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 91 times

Post by Pies2016 »

Mr Miyagi wrote:Wait, the draft is split over several nights now?!
This draft has been planned for two nights from the start.
The remainder of the primary draft is tonight and then the rookie draft is on Friday. Much better system and allows clubs to recalibrate overnight instead of being rushed into decisions under the clock.
Lazza

Post by Lazza »

Pies2016 wrote: As for tonight, Rhett Bazzo would be on their short list if they can buy back late into the second round. Tall mobile WA swing man who polarises the recruiters on where he will land.
Wasn’t he mooted to go around 10 - 15 a few weeks ago? If still available he would be an awesome pick (potentially).
Don't confuse your current path with your final destination. Just because it's dark and stormy now doesn't meant that you aren't headed for glorious sunshine!
23 YIPPEE!!!

Post by 23 YIPPEE!!! »

Who else did we pick up in the draft
Mr Miyagi
Has liked: 48 times
Been liked: 113 times

Post by Mr Miyagi »

90 nice wrote:Who else did we pick up in the draft
No one yet, second round is tonight I think. Pies2016 just explained how it’s working this year. Bit to do with covid too probably.
Four&twenty

Post by Four&twenty »

If we trade our 1st round next year just saying and JDG takes a massive free agent deal where does our compassion pick be with no 1st round pic
MJ23

Post by MJ23 »

I heard Ned long could be a name we are looking at.
We would need to move up.
"Even when Im old and gray, I wont be able to play but Ill still love the game"
Michael Jordan
Magpie Russ
Has liked: 25 times
Been liked: 16 times

Post by Magpie Russ »

Four&twenty wrote:If we trade our 1st round next year just saying and JDG takes a massive free agent deal where does our compassion pick be with no 1st round pic
Your compensation pick goes to the club who you traded your pick to.

Joking. It goes directly after where you finished irrespective of you trading your pick. E.g. GWS had our pick this year (Pick 2) therefore we would have got Pick 3 this year.
think better
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 26 times

Post by think better »

The big question for me is this:

Is the trade and draft an art or a science?
I think therefore I think - I think
Pies4shaw
Has liked: 62 times
Been liked: 98 times

Post by Pies4shaw »

Pies2016 wrote:
Mr Miyagi wrote:Wait, the draft is split over several nights now?!
This draft has been planned for two nights from the start.
The remainder of the primary draft is tonight and then the rookie draft is on Friday. Much better system and allows clubs to recalibrate overnight instead of being rushed into decisions under the clock.
It's good to adopt the approach used in the NFL draft - because we also have a viable draft pool of about 100 million potential professional footballers, so we can also be very interested in whether the guy we take in the 4th round will become the best receiver in the competition or a quarterback who wins 7 Super Bowls.

The suspense of wondering whether we'll get the next Scott Pendlebury with pick 199 is killing me. It's a Big Thing and Worth The Wait. :wink:
gurugeoff
Been liked: 4 times

Post by gurugeoff »

does anyone know what draft picks we now have, and how many spots on our list?

foxsports is saying we have 39,41,43,45, but i think they were used for Daicos.
MatthewBoydFanClub
Been liked: 1 time

Post by MatthewBoydFanClub »

Pies2016 wrote:^ ^ ^
Reckon they would much prefer to buy back in this year than keep the futures for a big draft haul in 2022. There will be more than enough kids on this list by the time the 2022 draft comes around. Keep our 2022 first rounder and then do the minimum required for the rest of the 2022 draft would surely be their preference.
As for tonight, Rhett Bazzo would be on their short list if they can buy back late into the second round. Tall mobile WA swing man who polarises the recruiters on where he will land.
Think you could be right but the club is giving nothing away. Day one is easy compared to Day two. Personally since the club is overhauling it's list I'd go for broke now rather than wait for 2022, but of course it all depends who is available when our pick comes around. Just as long as we keep our number one draft pick for next year and keep a few thirds up our sleeve.
stui magpie
Has liked: 74 times
Been liked: 77 times

Post by stui magpie »

gurugeoff wrote:does anyone know what draft picks we now have, and how many spots on our list?

foxsports is saying we have 39,41,43,45, but i think they were used for Daicos.
If someone can figure it out, I'd love to know too. I'm completely lost.
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
Pies2016

Post by Pies2016 »

think better wrote:The big question for me is this:

Is the trade and draft an art or a science?
Great question. For mine, it’s a real art to get the science right.
The fact that no one goes at 100 % success rate, would suggest there’s certainly an amount of luck that needs to be factored in also.
Pies2016

Post by Pies2016 »

MJ23 wrote:I heard Ned long could be a name we are looking at.
We would need to move up.
There’s a few of these untapped talents in this draft. I think the challenge this year, is as much about understanding where these later picks will be called out as it is knowing their footy capabilities.