#2 Jordan De Goey

This is a Collingwood Bulletin Board - use this forum for general, Pies-related topics. For other footy topics, use Nick's Other AFL forum, and for non-footy sporting topics please use Nick's Sports Bar. For non-sporting topics please use the Victoria Park Tavern.

Moderator: bbmods

slangman
Has liked: 24 times
Been liked: 10 times

Post by slangman »

The club has drawn a line in the sand with regards to off field transgressions and JDG is the first to have to find out the hard way that this new chapter is different to the previous coaches and administrators.
- Side By Side -
think positive
Has liked: 240 times
Been liked: 90 times

Post by think positive »

Harrysz wrote:Humiliate? Ostracise? What are you guys talking about? The club said that the suspension would last until the outcome of the case was known. What new factor has emerged for the club to change its policy and "relax" its stance? It seems to be unlikely that there will be a conviction but how inept would the club look if it relaxed its stance now and then there was a conviction!

The outcome of the case should become known on Wednesday. Couldn't JDG wait until then? Did his manager have to announce that JDG was disappointed? The club and the supporters are disappointed that JDG put himself in this position. Publicly getting drunk and parading around in a dressing gown is a sign of what? JDG's current "disappointment" makes me wonder if he really understands how dumb his behaviour was. What does he expect from the club; roses and chocolates?
this, 1 million times this!

he really needs to get a real manager, and not just his brother! hes not getting the best advice, hes hearing what he wants to hear!
You cant fix stupid, turns out you cant quarantine it either!
think positive

Post by think positive »

MatthewBoydFanClub wrote:
think positive wrote:Fishing expedition!

Clearly he is no victim! Maybe just maybe if he didn’t have such a long list of similar incidents to his name, he might not have been stood down! The club have done everything right. If he’s found guilty and the club took no action the club would get slammed! They have not come out and bagged him, just said they are waiting and fair enough too.
He’s a victim of his own stupid behavior and he has to learn. Despite the groping charge against the woman being withdrawn we have to adopt a zero tolerance towards abuses against women in the general community, football being part of that. It’s bad enough we get this sort of bad behavior in the parliament. It has to stop and if football is at the forefront as an example to the rest of community that disrespectful behavior against women won’t be tolerated in any form and if it means certain footballers who don’t get the message are sacrificed to the game of football, then so be it.
exactly right

slangman wrote:The club has drawn a line in the sand with regards to off field transgressions and JDG is the first to have to find out the hard way that this new chapter is different to the previous coaches and administrators.
yes and i for one am really happy and some what relieved about that!
Magpietothemax
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 15 times

Post by Magpietothemax »

I have consistently defended JDG in terms of his presumption of innocence,and my personal opinion (FWIW) is that he will be found innocent of all allegations in a few days' time. Nevertheless, I think JDG must learn that he needs to step up and, if he aspires to being an elite AFL player, must constrain his impulsivity and clear tendency towards poor decision making. I backed totally the club's decision to stand him down pending the court decision. I back now the decision to not allow him to train until the court case is resolved. 100% this is the correct course of action. The club must stand by this to have credibility in refashioning JDG';s mindset. Think about it.
What are the alternatives"
JDG is found guilty of assault....well then I am assuming we will cut him anyway.
JDG is found innocent. OK, jordie, now you can train with us. But you have had enough chances now to realise that if you don't step up in the standards of your decision making and commitment to professional training requirements, you will have to ride the consequences yourself.
This is the ideal training for Jordie to reintegrate himself into the club and to establish a strong relationship with Craig McCrae. A meaningful and productive relationship between Craig McCrae and JDG depends absolutely on defining the expectations and the standards JDG will have to adhere to.
If we let JDG train without first resolving the court case, that would totally undermmine the basis of the necessary relationship between him and the coach.
Free Julian Assange!!
Ice in the veins
Piesnchess
Has liked: 202 times
Been liked: 89 times

Post by Piesnchess »

The cold hard fact is , that dickheads win u Flags, if they are brilliant dickheads on the field, like Swan, Shaw, Dusty, Stevie J. De Goey has been a dickhead a few times, but now must pull his head in and shape up. Dusty did, after his infamous chop sticks incident, and others, and definitely won the Tigers a Premiership off his own boot, and both Swan and Stevie J re formed too, and won flags.
Poverty exists not because we cannot feed the poor, but because we cannot satisfy the rich.

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
think positive

Post by think positive »

so cold hard fact is women and innocent guys in pubs can get assaulted, king hit, sexually abused by players as long as the players win premierships! ok then! reformed or just got a better PR service?
Last edited by think positive on Sun Dec 05, 2021 11:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Pies4shaw
Has liked: 92 times
Been liked: 114 times

Post by Pies4shaw »

^ PnC, that's nonsense. Clubs don't go out looking to recruit "dickheads" every year - they go out looking to recruit well-adjusted, mostly-sane individuals who have the necessary physical attributes and the work-ethic to develop their talent. Some people can focus well enough to become important players, despite not quite fitting the "well-adjusted, mostly-sane" requirement. Others just turn out to be "dickheads".

I actually find your description of Swan, Shaw and Martin - and the implied comparison with De Goey - distasteful. De Goey is about to turn 26 and has done nothing of consequence. In the year he turned 26, Martin won the Brownlow Medal and the Norm Smith. But before that, he was already Richmond's most consistently devastating player - by the time he was barely 22, he already had 39 career Bowrnlow votes and by the time he was barely 25, he had 98 career Brownlow votes. That was all before he entered his period of sustained dominance of the competition. De Goey has managed just 35 Brownlow votes in his 118 games. Moreover, De Goey doesn't seem to prepare adequately - he has never been right to play a full season. He averages under 17 games a year, whereas Martin, across 12 seasons, averages just a whisker under 22 per year. Swan got 20 votes in the Brownlow Medal when he was 23 and was a premiership player at 26. Heater was a brilliant footballer from the moment he got his chance in the Seniors. He had a 16-season career in which he averaged over 20 games per year. De Goey does not yet warrant even being mentioned in the same breath as those 3 stars. What he has is some exceptional talent. He uses it erratically and - despite everyone thinking he might be a "world-beater", he mostly isn't. He's played 7 seasons at Collingwood and been best on ground just 5 times.

Martin hasn't helped Richmond to 3 premierships because he is what you call a "dickhead" - he's done so because he is one of the greatest players ever to pull on boots. That took hard work, dedication and application.

Swan and Heater were consistently great players - and well-prepared, physically - from very young ages and performed consistently, week-in and week-out for many years. That took hard work, dedication and application.
Pies2016
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 98 times

Post by Pies2016 »

Piesnchess wrote:The cold hard fact is , that dickheads win u Flags, if they are brilliant dickheads on the field, like Swan, Shaw, Dusty, Stevie J. De Goey has been a dickhead a few times, but now must pull his head in and shape up. Dusty did, after his infamous chop sticks incident, and others, and definitely won the Tigers a Premiership off his own boot, and both Swan and Stevie J re formed too, and won flags.
I guess we can measure premierships that include the “ dickhead factor “ but conversely, I wonder how many dickheads have actually cost clubs premierships ? Maybe Bolton and Rioli cost Richmond a fourth flag ? How would we know ?
In an elite environment and in an equalised competition where you need absolutely everything going right for you to go all the way, the last thing you need are distractions, disruptions and less than 100% buy in from all players. That is indisputable.
think positive

Post by think positive »

Oops
Big T
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 59 times

Post by Big T »

Honestly I wouldn't care if Hitler was our full forward if he kicked 8 and won us a flag.
Buon Giorno
dalyc
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 12 times

Post by dalyc »

Big T wrote:Honestly I wouldn't care if Hitler was our full forward if he kicked 8 and won us a flag.
Ugly
Four legged animals good, two legged animals better
Piesnchess

Post by Piesnchess »

Pies4shaw wrote:^ PnC, that's nonsense. Clubs don't go out looking to recruit "dickheads" every year - they go out looking to recruit well-adjusted, mostly-sane individuals who have the necessary physical attributes and the work-ethic to develop their talent. Some people can focus well enough to become important players, despite not quite fitting the "well-adjusted, mostly-sane" requirement. Others just turn out to be "dickheads".

I actually find your description of Swan, Shaw and Martin - and the implied comparison with De Goey - distasteful. De Goey is about to turn 26 and has done nothing of consequence. In the year he turned 26, Martin won the Brownlow Medal and the Norm Smith. But before that, he was already Richmond's most consistently devastating player - by the time he was barely 22, he already had 39 career Bowrnlow votes and by the time he was barely 25, he had 98 career Brownlow votes. That was all before he entered his period of sustained dominance of the competition. De Goey has managed just 35 Brownlow votes in his 118 games. Moreover, De Goey doesn't seem to prepare adequately - he has never been right to play a full season. He averages under 17 games a year, whereas Martin, across 12 seasons, averages just a whisker under 22 per year. Swan got 20 votes in the Brownlow Medal when he was 23 and was a premiership player at 26. Heater was a brilliant footballer from the moment he got his chance in the Seniors. He had a 16-season career in which he averaged over 20 games per year. De Goey does not yet warrant even being mentioned in the same breath as those 3 stars. What he has is some exceptional talent. He uses it erratically and - despite everyone thinking he might be a "world-beater", he mostly isn't. He's played 7 seasons at Collingwood and been best on ground just 5 times.

Martin hasn't helped Richmond to 3 premierships because he is what you call a "dickhead" - he's done so because he is one of the greatest players ever to pull on boots. That took hard work, dedication and application.

Swan and Heater were consistently great players - and well-prepared, physically - from very young ages and performed consistently, week-in and week-out for many years. That took hard work, dedication and application.

Soooo, ramming chopsticks into a wall, next to a womans head, in a restaurant, is not of consequence to you at all, regarding Dusty being a dickhead. OK, whatever, nothing to see here. Unreal. :o :?
Poverty exists not because we cannot feed the poor, but because we cannot satisfy the rich.

Piesnchess

Post by Piesnchess »

think positive wrote:so cold hard fact is women and innocent guys in pubs can get assaulted, king hit, sexually abused by players as long as the players win premierships! ok then! reformed or just got a better PR service?

Dustys chopsticks episode says hello incidentally. I never said that dickhead behaviour is ok, if you lot actually bothered to read what i posted, i said he must pull up his socks, pull his head in and change, i never said what you are alluding to at all. :o

Pies4shaw
Has liked: 92 times
Been liked: 114 times

Post by Pies4shaw »

You specifically said "dickheads win you flags." In what way have you been misunderstood?
think positive

Post by think positive »

Piesnchess wrote:
think positive wrote:so cold hard fact is women and innocent guys in pubs can get assaulted, king hit, sexually abused by players as long as the players win premierships! ok then! reformed or just got a better PR service?

Dustys chopsticks episode says hello incidentally. I never said that dickhead behaviour is ok, if you lot actually bothered to read what i posted, i said he must pull up his socks, pull his head in and change, i never said what you are alluding to at all. :o
i have no respect for dusty at all

and for the rest see Pies4shaws answer!