#2 Jordan De Goey

This is a Collingwood Bulletin Board - use this forum for general, Pies-related topics. For other footy topics, use Nick's Other AFL forum, and for non-footy sporting topics please use Nick's Sports Bar. For non-sporting topics please use the Victoria Park Tavern.

Moderator: bbmods

Pies2016
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 98 times

Post by Pies2016 »

^ ^ ^
Players from the 80s / 90s are no different to today. The difference is mobile phones. You got away with plenty pre mobile phones, you get away with very little these days. “ Men “ behaving badly will never go away, regardless of any era. What annoys me is, that in keeping with technology, players are lectured to within an inch of their lives on the the trappings of social media.
As they say - you can lead a horse to water ….
Gary Player “ the harder I practice, the luckier I get “
Mr Miyagi
Has liked: 64 times
Been liked: 128 times

Post by Mr Miyagi »

think positive
Has liked: 240 times
Been liked: 90 times

Post by think positive »

E wrote:
Back bucks wrote:
E wrote:
By the way, how would Darren Millan have been perceived these days? i know he is a hero to many of the older fans......
Unless you were there in the Millane era, it is hard to understand how much he meant to the club . He was the heart and soul of it and the antics he and Banksy got up to might be dealt with in a different way today . I think they would be lenient towards the pair of them based on their work rate ,the effort they put in and their value to the club. Darren Millane in particular was a driving force on the field and if he was in the same boat as Jordan and had something to answer for ( assuming Jordan has something to answer for ) , he would have pulled his head in really quick. He had the right attitude and commitment . Having said that , we still don`t know the facts of Jordan`s case and how it will play out or what the club or AFL will do after the court case and how Jordan will respond to whatever happens.
i was there. Being heart and soul of the club doesnt mean you didnt drive with a blood alcohol level of .399. its staggering to me how you can forgive that based on the good bloke defence. its lucky in a way he only killed himself. That was just luck!!
i can never understand the yearly outpouring for him to be honest, i dont usually comment, i just ignore it, but my thought then and now has always been "thank god he didnt take anyone with him" meanwhile the poor truckie has to live with it.
You cant fix stupid, turns out you cant quarantine it either!
Back bucks

Post by Back bucks »

I think the truck was parked. Yeah , Millane was a larrikin and got away with stuff a lot of us did when we were young and immortal. But if that was today , he would have been pulled up by the club pretty quick and turned it around IMHO . I am not here to argue about a bloke who looked like being a future club great and i am not here to say he was a saint. What happened , happened . I had 2 mates die in vehicle accidents in the same year Darren did . One was drunk and rolled his car and the other slammed his motorbike into a car at 160 kmh. The hurt is still there 30 years on. I still sit on the fence to see what becomes of Jordan`s case before i judge him.
I blame my hair loss on supporting Collingwood for 50 years
E

Post by E »

Back bucks wrote:I think the truck was parked. Yeah , Millane was a larrikin and got away with stuff a lot of us did when we were young and immortal. But if that was today , he would have been pulled up by the club pretty quick and turned it around IMHO . I am not here to argue about a bloke who looked like being a future club great and i am not here to say he was a saint. What happened , happened . I had 2 mates die in vehicle accidents in the same year Darren did . One was drunk and rolled his car and the other slammed his motorbike into a car at 160 kmh. The hurt is still there 30 years on. I still sit on the fence to see what becomes of Jordan`s case before i judge him.
i'm sorry if i've opened old wounds. It was not my intention. After Peter Daicos and Stan Magro (go figure), Darren Millane was my favorite player of all time. The important thing i remembered about him (and i afford Jordan De Goey the same allowance) is that the precise skillset that he possessed that made him a superstar on the field, is actually what gets him in trouble off the field.

He played football with a confidence and assuredness and a belief that he was better than the people he was playing against (and he was playing against the best of the best). That single minded belief in self that gets you to the top of your field, often makes you a jackass in the real world because you tend to care only about yourself and your confidence in yourself is supreme.

Most elite athletes who dont appear to be like that tend to have been PR'ed very well into hiding it and then they are managed and protected to keep the public from learning what they were really like.

Grand theft auto and homicidal driving is therefore considered the acts of a "larrikan".

Examples are numerous. Kobe, Tiger, Michael Jordan. First class assholes who have all been managed to preserve their image. All of them had pretty serious crimes covered up for them (with countless PR people sent into damage control).

For some reason we are holding Jordan DeGoey to a different standard. He hasn't done anything too bad just yet (although that might just be luck). Not close to the type of things that Darren Millane did.

And so for me, i want to know that we have at least one guy on the field who is head and shoulders above the pack. Other than him and Darcy Moore (and maybe Jamie Elliot and Grundy), I'm not sure we have any of those types of players. We need about 6-8 such players to win a flag. Either that or you need a group of 22 super complimentary players with just a few. Either way, i dont think we've seen a premiership team in the last 20 years without a true alpha male! Lets celebrate ours instead of leading calls for his beheading.....
Rd10.1998_11.1#36
Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 5 times

Post by Rd10.1998_11.1#36 »

Back bucks

Post by Back bucks »

i'm sorry if i've opened old wounds. It was not my intention.

No stress E . Not opening old wounds ,mate. They were two of many mates who died young. I learned to pull my head in seeing it all and tried to stop others doing the same thing.
I just hope this is a turning point for Jordan and the club and there are better days ahead for all.
Stan Magro is almost a forgotten hero of our club. I still have an old Scanlons footy card of him.
Last edited by Back bucks on Wed Dec 08, 2021 7:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
I blame my hair loss on supporting Collingwood for 50 years
think positive
Has liked: 240 times
Been liked: 90 times

Post by think positive »

You cant fix stupid, turns out you cant quarantine it either!
MJ23

Post by MJ23 »

gave up on this topic around 20 pages ago. still beleive what I said then and nothing changed since.
"Even when Im old and gray, I wont be able to play but Ill still love the game"
Michael Jordan
Geek

Post by Geek »

E wrote: Grand theft auto ...
Firstly, they were not in a US jurisdiction. Grand Theft Auto doesn't exist here. Sounds sweet and adds a bit of Law and Order punch to the argument, but nup.

Even assuming if it was an offence, they didn't intend to permanently take the vehicle or to significantly deprive the owner of the vehicle for long enough for them to lose enjoyment of or value in the vehicle. Therefore, even under American law, they wouldn't be charged with grand theft auto for taking the bus and rolling it forward a few metres.

I think there were members of the public on the bus though, yeah? Nowadays they might sue for the PTSD they no doubt would have suffered. There might be a kidnap charge if you really wanted to go down that road.

Anyway, the GTA thing is a bit OTT and as such, hurts your argument. It mightn't sound as pretty but joyriding would be the actual offence they were guilty of. Still kinda stupid behaviour for grown men, don't get me wrong.
WhyPhilWhy?
Has liked: 26 times
Been liked: 25 times

Post by WhyPhilWhy? »

E wrote:all de goey did was be in the wrong place at the wrong time
Actually, and as alleged by police, smacked a bloke for sneaking his booze (silly, but perhaps understandable), then kicked the bloke when he was on the floor (not a good look at all).

Given 7 previous indiscretions, didn't have the brains to just walk away.
PyreneesPie
Has liked: 66 times

Post by PyreneesPie »

E wrote: After Peter Daicos and Stan Magro (go figure), Darren Millane was my favorite player of all time. The important thing i remembered about him (and i afford Jordan De Goey the same allowance) is that the precise skillset that he possessed that made him a superstar on the field, is actually what gets him in trouble off the field.

He played football with a confidence and assuredness and a belief that he was better than the people he was playing against (and he was playing against the best of the best).
I get where you're coming from E..... Yep, Millane had the well-known nickname of the Raging Bull of course, because of his commitment and willingness to go at fierce, full bodily tilt into every contest.

The problem is, as Leigh Matthews once explained, it can be difficult to turn that sort of risk-taking attitude off, just by walking off the footy field. Yet paradoxically, every team yearns for one , if not more, of those tough as nails, fearless bulls who display such powerful, arrogant dominance. They can lift their team mates with their disdain for the opposition.
WhyPhilWhy?
Has liked: 26 times
Been liked: 25 times

Post by WhyPhilWhy? »

Out of interest, who were the "get yourself in the paper", "made to apologise to the club","dickheads" in the Sydney, Hawthorn, Bulldogs, West Coast and Melbourne sides of the last decade?
BazBoy
Been liked: 37 times

Post by BazBoy »

It’s currently 2.12 am December 8th in NYC so we may hear some thing tomorrow morning AEST
I'm not arguing--just explaining why i am right
matrix10

Post by matrix10 »

WhyPhilWhy? wrote:Out of interest, who were the "get yourself in the paper", "made to apologise to the club","dickheads" in the Sydney, Hawthorn, Bulldogs, West Coast and Melbourne sides of the last decade?
Sydney- afforded more from syd media due to relative anonymity - Buddy's never ending hamstring and one of the blokes who tripped over a chain fence, Bulldogs- Lachy Hunter/Bailey Smith, Eagles- Murray Newman, Melbourne-Petracca and Hunt bumgrabbing, unnamed palyer Bali sex assualt

And thats off the top of my head