Russian invasion of Ukraine

Nick's current affairs & general discussion about anything that's not sport.
Voice your opinion on stories of interest to all at Nick's.

Moderator: bbmods

pietillidie
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 28 times

Post by pietillidie »

Friendless Freddie keeps disingenuously crapping on about NATO, but what about the countries that genuinely need further protection from the regional psychopath through NATO?
We, the Presidents of the EU member states: the Republic of Bulgaria, the Czech Republic, the Republic of Estonia, the Republic of Latvia, the Republic of Lithuania, the Republic of Poland, the Slovak Republic, and the Republic of Slovenia strongly believe that Ukraine deserves receiving an immediate EU accession perspective.

Therefore, we call on the EU Member States to consolidate highest political support to Ukraine and enable the EU institutions to conduct steps to immediately grant Ukraine a EU candidate country status and open the process of negotiations.

In this critical moment, we reiterate our full solidarity with Ukraine and its People.
https://www.hrad.cz/en/for-media/press- ... nion-16316
In the end the rain comes down, washes clean the streets of a blue sky town.
Help Nick's: http://www.magpies.net/nick/bb/fundraising.htm
David
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 35 times

Post by David »

Putin has certainly made the best case imaginable for Ukraine (and other non-aligned Eastern European countries) to join NATO. I certainly think it's entirely understandable for Zelenskyy to push for that now, but I would be wary of the long-term consequences of an arms race in that part of the world. We are dealing with a nuclear power in Russia that's already shown that it's prone to aggression and poor decisionmaking.

The moral and just answer might seem to be to bring Ukraine fully under the West's umbrella with all that entails, but the wiser and cooler-headed position might be something like Finlandisation; we should all know by now that global power dynamics don't play by moral rules, and sometimes the cost of peace is regional blocs and compromised sovereignty (as anyone who lived in Eastern Europe between 1945 and 1990 knows full well). Hell, we might not always realise it, but that's pretty much our reality here in Australia, caught between effective US control of our foreign policy and dependence on the Chinese economy.

Of course, in saying that, Putin has pretty effectively torpedoed any chance of the latter actually happening now.
"Every time we witness an injustice and do not act, we train our character to be passive in its presence." – Julian Assange
roar
Been liked: 3 times

Post by roar »

Interesting (and hopeful!) scenario that this turns the tables for Putin in Russia and we get the regime change much of Russia is already agitating for.
kill for collingwood!
stui magpie
Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 74 times

Post by stui magpie »

The scariest thing about all this is what if Putin fully cracks the sads and unleashes the nuclear option.

I'm all for the push back and sanctions, but we aren't dealing with a rational human being here.
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.

Post by #26 »

stui magpie wrote:The scariest thing about all this is what if Putin fully cracks the sads and unleashes the nuclear option.
Then you're going to die screaming in terror, like the passengers in your Grandfather's car.
stui magpie

Post by stui magpie »

^

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Nah, I'll go bush away from metro Melbourne after buying some more guns. :P :wink:
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
Lazza

Post by Lazza »

stui magpie wrote:The scariest thing about all this is what if Putin fully cracks the sads and unleashes the nuclear option.

I'm all for the push back and sanctions, but we aren't dealing with a rational human being here.
Part of my view about the errors the West are committing. I cannot see how sanctions are going to work with a beast who wouldn’t know the meaning of the word Rational, let alone exhibit the human traits
Don't confuse your current path with your final destination. Just because it's dark and stormy now doesn't meant that you aren't headed for glorious sunshine!
stui magpie

Post by stui magpie »

Oh I think the sanctions are and will work.

The fear is what happens when an irrational megalomaniac finds himself backed into a corner with no exit strategy except burn the house down and everyone in it.
pietillidie

Post by pietillidie »

Post by #26 »

Whenever I see images of those convoys of armoured Russian vehicles heading through Ukraine, I wonder why the Ukrainians don't have the capacity to rain missiles on them. Someone really ballsed up the millitary hardware order there. I hope our leaders learn from this and make sure a good percentage of our millitary budget goes into long range missiles. You don't want to allow the enemy to roll into your city streets before you finally engage with them. Bomb the shit out of them the second they breach your borders or territorial waters.
think positive
Has liked: 216 times
Been liked: 85 times

Post by think positive »

yeah i wondered the same thing

and im actually hanging for the news that all my favourite movie fantasies come true,

"Vince Larkin : Sure, I will. What are you gonna do for me?

Cameron Poe : What do you think I'm gonna do? I'm gonna save the (*&^%^&' day!"

"Im just the cook!"

"yippee ki ya mother !"

"Stanley Goodspeed : [jams the VX capsule into Frye's mouth] Eat that, you ****!"

there you go lots of solutions for a madman!
You cant fix stupid, turns out you cant quarantine it either!
pietillidie

Post by pietillidie »

stui magpie

Post by stui magpie »

think positive wrote:yeah i wondered the same thing

and im actually hanging for the news that all my favourite movie fantasies come true,

"Vince Larkin : Sure, I will. What are you gonna do for me?

Cameron Poe : What do you think I'm gonna do? I'm gonna save the (*&^%^&' day!"

"Im just the cook!"

"yippee ki ya mother $%$er!"

"Stanley Goodspeed : [jams the VX capsule into Frye's mouth] Eat that, you ****!"

there you go lots of solutions for a madman!
Love it.
Con Air
Under Siege
Die Hard and
The Rock
What'sinaname
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 9 times

Post by What'sinaname »

With Putin committing war crimes, I can't see how this ends peacefully now.
Fighting against the objectification of woman.

Post by #26 »

pietillidie wrote:^Yeah, I've thought about the vulnerability of the giant convoy of tanks, too!

There will always be hypocrisy, but outright shamelessness is the red line for the average person, knowing we're all hypocritical to an extent. By definition the far left and far right, as fundamentalists, justify their existence by obsessing over garden-variety hypocrisy ('majoring in minors'), giving themselves an endless supply of 'reasons' and grievances to justify extreme views.
I heard the convoy is 64 kilometres long. What a target!

Who do you consider: centre left, left and far left in Australian politics?