Russian invasion of Ukraine

Nick's current affairs & general discussion about anything that's not sport.
Voice your opinion on stories of interest to all at Nick's.

Moderator: bbmods

Lazza

Post by Lazza »

#26 wrote:
What'sinaname wrote:It's time for the West to reset what is important and what's not important. Western leaders have turned a blind eye to funding and building Russia and China while they focus on the big issue like cancelling books and movies because someone might be offended and creating a world where we need to have gender neutral underwear.

Cancelling books, movies and music is nothing new. Far right Christians have been at it for decades in the US.
Some Buddhists and Muslims have done the very same thing as I have seen in countries like Sri Lanka. They even ban cricket in Sri Lanka on some religious dude’s funeral day, like they would care
Don't confuse your current path with your final destination. Just because it's dark and stormy now doesn't meant that you aren't headed for glorious sunshine!
pietillidie
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 28 times

Post by pietillidie »

In the end the rain comes down, washes clean the streets of a blue sky town.
Help Nick's: http://www.magpies.net/nick/bb/fundraising.htm

Post by #26 »

#26 wrote: I heard Ukraine aren't getting the 28 jets they were going to get from Poland now, because they have nowhere to land. Plus having them launch attacks from Poland isn't an option either, because there's a fear that Poland will get dragged into the conflict if they do.
Following up on that, on the news this morning, I heard the Ukrainians still want Eastern European countries to provide them with fighter jets and drones.
stui magpie
Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 74 times

Post by stui magpie »

The more I read on this, it seems the less I understand WTF is going on in Putin's head.

I don't buy the Nato argument.

The yammering about Ukraine being a Nazi state is only believed by a small minority in Russia and East Ukraine, it's clearly utter garbage but he's blathering it consistently as his justification.

The best hypothesis I can pull together is that there's a perfect storm of messed up ingredients happening.

1. Putin is a Dictator running a totalitarian kleptocracy.
2. He's all mates with Xi.
3. Neither of them like Western culture or democracy.
4. Having what Putin considers part of Russia (Ukraine) doing well as an increasingly western style democracy grinds his gears badly
5. It also creates slowly increasing tension in Western Russia as the people there grow sick and tired of the Putin regime and look to Western freedoms.

So Putin decides he has to stop the westernisation of Ukraine before it spreads too far into Russia. Remarkably, it seems he genuinely believed that his invasion force would be treated like a liberating army, driving straight through to Kyiv in 2 days met by civilians with flowers and cheers and armed forces laying down their weapons. The only way that logically works is if you can trick your mind into believing that somehow people were being forced or brainwashed into democracy while ignoring all evidence to the contrary.

So now he's angry, frustrated and desperate. The only way forward is to bomb the shit out of the Ukraine and make it part of Russia under his control and copy from Xi by trying to lock the western media influences out.

The only way out seems to be to keep propping up Ukraine to resist, without actually escalating into a full blown war with other countries, keep the financial pressure up on Russia while at the same time trying to seed and/or support some kind of internal uprising or coup to remove Putin.
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
AJ

Post by AJ »

What'sinaname
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 9 times

Post by What'sinaname »

AJ wrote:https://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/article-10581335/PETER-HITCHENS-saw-coming-Thats-wont-join-carnival-hypocrisy.html
Is this how you justify standing by Putin?
AJ

Post by AJ »

What'sinaname wrote:
AJ wrote:https://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/article-10581335/PETER-HITCHENS-saw-coming-Thats-wont-join-carnival-hypocrisy.html
Is this how you justify standing by Putin?
If the mainstream media are telling you Ukraine are the good guys, you can be sure they are anything but.

Russia has every right to defend itself from expanding NATO.

We have seen with the cancelling of Russian cats and the meerkat ad - this is another WEF directive.

Ukraine have been murdering Russians for years, it’s time they are made to pay the price.

#IstandwithPutin
stui magpie

Post by stui magpie »

Right, so the mainstream media across all Western countries are puppets of democratically elected governments and are in a massive cartel collectively spreading misinformation like Russia is good, Ukraine and Vaccinations are bad.

And you quote mainstream tabloid media to prove your point.

Right. :roll:
Last edited by stui magpie on Sun Mar 06, 2022 5:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
AJ

Post by AJ »

stui magpie wrote:Right, so the mainstream media across all Western countries are puppets of democratically elected governments and are in a massive cartel collectively spreading misinformation like Russia is good, Ukraine and Vaccinations are bad.

And you quote mainstream tabloid media to prove your point.

Right. :roll:
Just to be clear, the media has not spent the last two years lying about everything that took place in the world, only to suddenly start telling the truth now. Remember that.
stui magpie

Post by stui magpie »

Please elaborate. The last 2 years lying about what in particular?
pietillidie

Post by pietillidie »

stui magpie wrote:The more I read on this, it seems the less I understand WTF is going on in Putin's head.

The yammering about Ukraine being a Nazi state is only believed by a small minority in Russia and East Ukraine, it's clearly utter garbage but he's blathering it consistently as his justification.

The best hypothesis I can pull together is that there's a perfect storm of messed up ingredients happening.

4. Having what Putin considers part of Russia (Ukraine) doing well as an increasingly western style democracy grinds his gears badly
5. It also creates slowly increasing tension in Western Russia as the people there grow sick and tired of the Putin regime and look to Western freedoms.

So Putin decides he has to stop the westernisation of Ukraine before it spreads too far into Russia. Remarkably, it seems he genuinely believed that his invasion force would be treated like a liberating army, driving straight through to Kyiv in 2 days met by civilians with flowers and cheers and armed forces laying down their weapons. The only way that logically works is if you can trick your mind into believing that somehow people were being forced or brainwashed into democracy while ignoring all evidence to the contrary.

So now he's angry, frustrated and desperate. The only way forward is to bomb the shit out of the Ukraine and make it part of Russia under his control and copy from Xi by trying to lock the western media influences out.

The only way out seems to be to keep propping up Ukraine to resist, without actually escalating into a full blown war with other countries, keep the financial pressure up on Russia while at the same time trying to seed and/or support some kind of internal uprising or coup to remove Putin.
Great summation and spot on, I reckon. I can't see what more there is by way of information or response. It's horrible not being able to do more (like obliterate that damned convoy), but the bastard is desperately trying to drag NATO in to justify his claims and escalate weaponry. The positive is that the sanctions, and military support keep ratcheting up, and the Ukrainian response is fittingly ferocious. The response from external parties is about as genuine and considered as politics gets.
Last edited by pietillidie on Sun Mar 06, 2022 8:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pietillidie

Post by pietillidie »

stui magpie

Post by stui magpie »

pietillidie wrote:
stui magpie wrote:The more I read on this, it seems the less I understand WTF is going on in Putin's head.

Great summation and spot on, I reckon. I can't see what more there is by way of information or response. It's horrible not being able to do more (like obliterate that damned convoy), but the bastard is desperately trying to drag NATO in to justify his claims and escalate weaponry. The positive is that the sanctions, and military support keep ratcheting up, and the Ukrainian response is fittingly ferocious. The response from external parties is about as genuine and considered as politics gets.
Cheers Ptiddy, nice to know I haven't completely lost the plot. I may or may not be right but at least the logic stands some level of scrutiny. :wink:
AJ

Post by AJ »

The paranoia about Russia and Russians is akin to the paranoia about COVID. Is entirely political rather than factual.

It is the next fear campaign designed to keep the sheeple focused on an invisible enemy and compliant.

Post by #26 »

AJ wrote:The paranoia about Russia and Russians is akin to the paranoia about COVID. Is entirely political rather than factual.

It is the next fear campaign designed to keep the sheeple focused on an invisible enemy and compliant.
Edgy AF.