Russian invasion of Ukraine

Nick's current affairs & general discussion about anything that's not sport.
Voice your opinion on stories of interest to all at Nick's.

Moderator: bbmods

pietillidie
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 28 times

Post by pietillidie »

^That's the textbook troll farm approach. It's about posting something, anything, to distract from the 1.5 million refugees fleeing for their lives from an invasion.
In the end the rain comes down, washes clean the streets of a blue sky town.
Help Nick's: http://www.magpies.net/nick/bb/fundraising.htm
Pies4shaw
Has liked: 55 times
Been liked: 87 times

Post by Pies4shaw »

Not fair, PTID. I think the footage actually proves that there is no war in the Ukraine, in any event that if there were a war it would be Ukraine being the aggressors and that no Ukrainians have ever died from any use of weaponry since the original formation of the USSR.

And, of course, that aliens exist. Really, watch out for your cats.
David
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 37 times

Post by David »

AJ wrote:
roar wrote:Yep, not fake at all.
It’s literally footage. But you will believe the fake Ukraine propaganda saying 11,000 Russians tanks destroyed.
Funny, I don't recall Roar (or anyone else here) making that claim, or saying that we rely on Ukrainian government press releases rather than journalists' reports.

As it happens, I think most observers expect distortions, exaggerations and even outright forgeries on both sides. The old saying that "the first casualty of war is truth" was already a cliché a century ago, and our mediated age has surely only sent that process into hyperdrive. I think you'd have to be pretty naive to think that stuff like this isn't happening.

But of course, as PTID says, none of that distracts from the significant and indisputable facts of the conflict, which you have hitherto been dodging if not outright denying in here. Swallowing one side's propaganda whole and selectively hunting for any minor evidence that might back it up has nothing to do with cautious scepticism. It just makes you as big a mark and a dupe as anyone.
"Every time we witness an injustice and do not act, we train our character to be passive in its presence." – Julian Assange
stui magpie
Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 74 times

Post by stui magpie »

The biggest tip for me that Russia is the aggressor here and that their claims about the Ukraine are false, is simply the unilateral response from EU countries, including those who trade heavily with Russia.

The condemnation has been universal.
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
AJ

Post by AJ »

stui magpie wrote:The biggest tip for me that Russia is the aggressor here and that their claims about the Ukraine are false, is simply the unilateral response from EU countries, including those who trade heavily with Russia.

Same people who lied about Afghanistan for 20 years are lying about Russia & Ukraine and trying to get us into a war.
David
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 37 times

Post by David »

Your mind’s going to be blown when you realise that the exact same kind of people exist on the other side and that they’re telling the exact same lies.
Last edited by David on Tue Mar 08, 2022 5:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Every time we witness an injustice and do not act, we train our character to be passive in its presence." – Julian Assange
Pies4shaw
Has liked: 55 times
Been liked: 87 times

Post by Pies4shaw »

I think the start and end of it is that the war is being held in Ukraine and not Russia. That says it all. Plainly, Russia is the aggressor. You'd have to be a moron to express a contrary view.
stui magpie
Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 74 times

Post by stui magpie »

AJ wrote:
stui magpie wrote:The biggest tip for me that Russia is the aggressor here and that their claims about the Ukraine are false, is simply the unilateral response from EU countries, including those who trade heavily with Russia.

Same people who lied about Afghanistan for 20 years are lying about Russia & Ukraine and trying to get us into a war.
Wrong answer.

When Germany tips in, Switzerland drops it's neutral stance to join in sanctions, Italy is confiscating Russian Oligarchs villas and yachts, Finland and Sweden are considering joining NATO, pretty much the whole of Europe is united in Condemning Russia for invading Ukraine.

This isn't about the USA, Ukraine isn't a Nazi country (FFS look at recent voting patterns)

Putin has invaded a neighboring democracy, bombing civilian targets, and is trying to pull a Xi and cut off all Russia from any news other than his official sources with no legitimate justification.

He's the one who's threatening nuclear options.

If you legitimately believe that Russia is in the right and this is all a conspiracy against them, I strongly suggest you switch to store bought mushrooms.
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
doriswilgus
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 21 times

Post by doriswilgus »

It looks like there’s a couple of Putin apologists here,which is disturbing.I suppose people will believe whatever they want to believe,even if it’s patently false.
doriswilgus
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 21 times

Post by doriswilgus »

pietillidie wrote:^I'm guessing piedys was being sarcastic!
I’m not so sure about that.

Post by #26 »

This is an interesting talk given at the University of Chicago in September 2015 that addresses the causes and the consequences of the Ukrainian crisis. Very relevant to the current situation.

https://youtu.be/JrMiSQAGOS4
stui magpie wrote: If you legitimately believe that Russia is in the right and this is all a conspiracy against them, I strongly suggest you switch to store bought mushrooms.
:lol:
Last edited by #26 on Tue Mar 08, 2022 7:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.
pietillidie

Post by pietillidie »

stui magpie wrote:
AJ wrote:

Wrong answer.

When Germany tips in, Switzerland drops it's neutral stance to join in sanctions, Italy is confiscating Russian Oligarchs villas and yachts, Finland and Sweden are considering joining NATO, pretty much the whole of Europe is united in Condemning Russia for invading Ukraine.
Not to mention most of the EU strongly opposed Afghanistan and Iraq and the actions of the Coalition of the Willing, so the claim is even wrong with respect to history.
pietillidie

Post by pietillidie »

doriswilgus wrote:
pietillidie wrote:^I'm guessing piedys was being sarcastic!
I’m not so sure about that.
It's definitely getting difficult to separate satire from serious beliefs. There's a market out there for every imaginable absurdity. God help us.
roar
Been liked: 3 times

Post by roar »

Pies4shaw wrote:I think the start and end of it is that the war is being held in Ukraine and not Russia. That says it all. Plainly, Russia is the aggressor. You'd have to be a moron to express a contrary view.
Yes, pretty simple, one would have thought.
kill for collingwood!
think positive
Has liked: 216 times
Been liked: 86 times

Post by think positive »

Pies4shaw wrote:I think the start and end of it is that the war is being held in Ukraine and not Russia. That says it all. Plainly, Russia is the aggressor. You'd have to be a moron to express a contrary view.
Hehe, love it, just change moron to troll surely, because how in the world anyone could believe the opposite, mind blown!
You cant fix stupid, turns out you cant quarantine it either!