What pisses you off? Part II: Electric Boogaloo

Nick's current affairs & general discussion about anything that's not sport.
Voice your opinion on stories of interest to all at Nick's.

Moderator: bbmods

eddiesmith
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 16 times

Post by eddiesmith »

David
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 37 times

Post by David »

Imagine having that on your conscience. Probably a greater punishment than any jail time he could have served.
"Every time we witness an injustice and do not act, we train our character to be passive in its presence." – Julian Assange
think positive
Has liked: 216 times
Been liked: 86 times

Post by think positive »

Maybe maybe not. It should. But some people are utter scum and still play the victim.

Throw away the key
You cant fix stupid, turns out you cant quarantine it either!
stui magpie
Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 74 times

Post by stui magpie »

So I've read the article, it doesn't say that he won't face jail time, just that he might not, that decision hasn't been made.

There's no indication that he was speeding or under the influence, he just lost concentration and didn't see the pedestrian light go red. Anyone who says they haven't been not concentrating while driving is lying.

He stopped at the scene, tried to render assistance and called 000 and has expressed sincere remorse. Hardly comes across as someone evil, I personally wouldn't object to a community corrections order rather than a custodial sentence, locking him up won't bring the kid back.
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
David

Post by David »

Last edited by David on Thu Apr 28, 2022 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Every time we witness an injustice and do not act, we train our character to be passive in its presence." – Julian Assange
stui magpie

Post by stui magpie »

My view is simple.

Grace Tame is a victim/survivor of sexual assault. I'll value her opinion on that topic just like I'd value the opinion of an athlete on the sport they competed in, an actor on acting or a musician on music.

When they stray outside their wheelhouse and intellect I lose interest.
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
eddiesmith
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 16 times

Post by eddiesmith »

stui magpie wrote:So I've read the article, it doesn't say that he won't face jail time, just that he might not, that decision hasn't been made.

There's no indication that he was speeding or under the influence, he just lost concentration and didn't see the pedestrian light go red. Anyone who says they haven't been not concentrating while driving is lying.

He stopped at the scene, tried to render assistance and called 000 and has expressed sincere remorse. Hardly comes across as someone evil, I personally wouldn't object to a community corrections order rather than a custodial sentence, locking him up won't bring the kid back.
To hit someone already in the crossing and the other people had time to hear him coming and pull back suggests it wasn’t a case of just missing the light.

Distracted makes me assume mobile phone usage most likely to blame.

Yes we all do it, but fact is if I ran a red light and killed someone because I was distracted by a phone, I’d be expecting jail time.

But it seems typical of Victoria’s justice system finding some excuse to let people off for killing someone. If it’s as simple as pleading guilty and acting remorseful, anyone can do that. Guess it’d free up the prison system pretty quickly!
think positive
Has liked: 216 times
Been liked: 86 times

Post by think positive »

not often i agree with you but here, 110%
You cant fix stupid, turns out you cant quarantine it either!
stui magpie

Post by stui magpie »

If he was on his phone then I'd agree, but there's no evidence of that. My assumption was he was tired, on the way home from work and lost concentration at the wrong time.
David

Post by David »

stui magpie

Post by stui magpie »

OK, Wow. :shock:

Apart from the other stuff is there a bit of politics in this? They're siding with Russia and have problems with you sheltering a Ukranian?
David

Post by David »

Yeah, I’m not sure if that’s a factor, though the possibility did cross my mind. I think they watch Russian news, so they’ve probably been exposed to a lot of propaganda. But given Lola’s mother is Ukrainian herself and her own city is being bombed to smithereens, I’d find it pretty astonishing if she’s taking Putin’s side in this. (And yes, it goes to show the quality of our relationship that I have no idea what their stance is on it; until yesterday, we hadn't talked since before the war began.)

I think they’re just deeply paranoid and miserable people, honestly.
stui magpie

Post by stui magpie »

OK, so you won't be inviting them to come over and stay for a holiday here any time soon. :P :wink:
David

Post by David »

Oh, they currently live five minutes’ drive from us! Forgot to mention that. :roll:
stui magpie

Post by stui magpie »

That belongs in the WTF thread.