Farewell #33 Jack Ginnivan

Use this forum for non-Collingwood related footy topics that don't relate specifically to any of the other forums. For non-footy sporting topics please use Nick's Sports Bar and for non-sporting topics please use the Victoria Park Tavern.

Moderator: bbmods

Lazza

Post by Lazza »

I have some very happy memories of that game at Waverley. It was exciting to see a future champion strut his stuff.
Don't confuse your current path with your final destination. Just because it's dark and stormy now doesn't meant that you aren't headed for glorious sunshine!
Pies4shaw
Has liked: 54 times
Been liked: 87 times

Post by Pies4shaw »

^ Peter Daicos played his first game at Victoria Park.
Skids
Has liked: 26 times
Been liked: 30 times

Post by Skids »

His 2nd game was at Waverley, against the Bulldogs. He kicked his first goal in a 48 point victory. Had 5 kicks, 5 handballs.
Don't count the days, make the days count.
uncanny
Been liked: 12 times

Post by uncanny »

Good to see Jack doing so well.
We have a great group of masters footballers in Castlemaine, Jack's dad Craig being one of them. All year round we train for an hour at 6 on a Wednesday with a few beers and banter afterwards. Anyone interested in having a kick is welcome, regardless of ability. Jack would regularly accompany dad for a run from the time he was around 6 years old. He has always loved footy enough to do this. Kane Farrell playing with Port Adelaide is in the same boat. They both still come along for a run with us in their off season. Boys who love their footy with a passion and who have honed their craft through hard application. I wouldn't worry too much about him being a flash in the pan. What he has achieved so far is no accident. He is well coached and has good people in his corner. Keep up the good work Jack.
woodsmen rule
Lazza

Post by Lazza »

Loved reading this post. I was first alerted to his talent by a mate who has been involved with the Bendigo pioneers for years. I was totally rapt when Collingwood picked him.

Another talent the same guy told me about was Lauchie Tardrew who is playing with our seconds most weeks when he is not playing for Sandhurst in the Bendigo league. Brilliant potential.

Also can’t wait to see Johnson in action. Happy days indeed.
Don't confuse your current path with your final destination. Just because it's dark and stormy now doesn't meant that you aren't headed for glorious sunshine!
uncanny
Been liked: 12 times

Post by uncanny »

cheers Lazza
Jack and Kane both went to the pioneers after junior footy in and around Castlemaine, as did Dustin Martin, who has also turned up for a kick with us elder leather chasers in the past on a wednesday evening . What seems to set them apart from so many others, despite varying personalities, is the drive to compete and succeed to go with an intrinsic love of the game.
woodsmen rule
think better
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 26 times

Post by think better »

There was a young forward called Jack Ginnivan
He went right then left and right again
The other mob were in a heap of pain
Good old Jack Ginnivan, we win again
I think therefore I think - I think
WhyPhilWhy?
Has liked: 24 times
Been liked: 25 times

Post by WhyPhilWhy? »

Line 3 needs work, but otherwise very nice.
Rd10.1998_11.1#36
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 5 times

Post by Rd10.1998_11.1#36 »

think better wrote:There was once a young man called Jack Ginnivan
He went right and then left and then right again
The other mob were in pain
And we won again
Thanks to good old Jack Ginnivan
Dr Pie

Post by Dr Pie »

The cheeky small(ish) Magpie is a long club tradition. Most Nicksters over 25 will remember Lou Richards as a footy writer and TV personality but he played with loads of cheek. In my time Ray Shaw (father of Rhys and Heath) was the best example of the cheeky small player. Jack G is at exactly the right club for his temperament and he clearly has the talent to back it up with. If I was 7 rather than 75 I know exactly what number I would be putting on my jumper.
Born and raised in Black and White
CaptainSnooze

Post by CaptainSnooze »

Derek Hine cops it on this site, so I thought it only fair that we acknowledge what could turn out to be one of his best late (rookie) picks.
Pep

Post by Pep »

I don't think I've seen it mentioned anywhere on here yet, but did anyone catch Fly on SEN the other day saying he had a word to Jack about his goal celebrations?

I think the gist of it was... it's good to celebrate, but remember its our goal (the teams) and celebrate with the team and not individually or with the crowd...

I'm loving Fly and his influence so far and think he's handled himself extraordinarily well in his media appearances, but this one seems like a bit of a miss.

Telling a player how to celebrate, or giving him advice/rules on on to celebrate, especially when nothing controversial has happened, and the fact that the fans love him as his celebrations, seems a bit over the top to me.

Interested on how others took it, or if I have misinterpreted Fly's comments.
think better
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 26 times

Post by think better »

Rd10.1998_11.1#36 wrote:
think better wrote:There was once a young man called Jack Ginnivan
He went right and then left and then right again
The other mob were in pain
And we won again
Thanks to good old Jack Ginnivan
Nice improvements!
I think therefore I think - I think
Jezza
Has liked: 128 times
Been liked: 191 times

Post by Jezza »

Pep wrote:I don't think I've seen it mentioned anywhere on here yet, but did anyone catch Fly on SEN the other day saying he had a word to Jack about his goal celebrations?

I think the gist of it was... it's good to celebrate, but remember its our goal (the teams) and celebrate with the team and not individually or with the crowd...

I'm loving Fly and his influence so far and think he's handled himself extraordinarily well in his media appearances, but this one seems like a bit of a miss.

Telling a player how to celebrate, or giving him advice/rules on on to celebrate, especially when nothing controversial has happened, and the fact that the fans love him as his celebrations, seems a bit over the top to me.

Interested on how others took it, or if I have misinterpreted Fly's comments.
Not sure what to make of it.

You want players to express themselves freely and be comfortable in their own skin, but I can understand that it's a team sport and it's important to recognise the contributions of your teammates even if you're the beneficiary of a goal.

Fly was quoted as saying the following in an interview on SEN:

"I love that when we kick a goal, it's our goal. So after the Anzac Day game, I just said to Jack, 'Hey look, find a balance between celebrating your goals, and well done for executing the skill, but it's our goal. So when we get a goal celebrate with your teammates'."

https://wwos.nine.com.au/afl/collingwoo ... bc09ffdc1b
🏆 | 1902 | 1903 | 1910 | 1917 | 1919 | 1927 | 1928 | 1929 | 1930 | 1935 | 1936 | 1953 | 1958 | 1990 | 2010 | 2023 | 🏆
rambler

Post by rambler »

Kicked another 3 today and got into more fisticuffs. Going along nicely.