#2 Jordan De Goey

This is a Collingwood Bulletin Board - use this forum for general, Pies-related topics. For other footy topics, use Nick's Other AFL forum, and for non-footy sporting topics please use Nick's Sports Bar. For non-sporting topics please use the Victoria Park Tavern.

Moderator: bbmods

derkd
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 22 times

Post by derkd »

I have banged on about this the last three years...my views on this have never shifted.

I have NO issue at all if the club agreed to part ways with De Goey at seasons end.

Indeed I think in the long run it will be a Win/Win for both parties. We as a club are rebuilding. De Goey is already 26 within a good age range...but outside the "up and coming" range.

He still drifts in and out of games far too frequently to be consistent. He has good quaters...but that is all he has ever done. Players like Bont, Dusty, Christian Petracca... have 30+ and can kick 3 or 4 goals consistently.

Let alone the off season(s) worry.

If we are going to fast track our rebuilding...saving almost 1 million bucks and landing another top 10 pick will be huge help.

De Goey for the sake of his career needs to go to a club on the edge of a premiership.

I also really worry about handing out anymore big contracts...we already feel very heavy on these.
Last edited by derkd on Fri May 06, 2022 2:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"To know nothing of events before your birth, is to forever remain a child" - Cicero (Roman Lawyer/Senator) 46 BCE.
Big T
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 64 times

Post by Big T »

Must keep him.
Buon Giorno
neil
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 24 times

Post by neil »

^ Agree JDG rarely performs well two weeks in a row let alone a whole month. Save the money reduce salary cap pressure and think about two first round draft picks at end of season
Carlscum 120 years being cheating scum
BazBoy
Been liked: 37 times

Post by BazBoy »

I'm not arguing--just explaining why i am right
The General
Has liked: 3 times

Post by The General »

He can walk to a club as a free agent and we get something like pick 12 as compensation. But it he was on the trade table what would he be worth? You would think we would get close to two first (not quite top ten) picks for him.

So how could we turn it around so that we get his trade value instead of the measly compensation?
eddiesmith
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 21 times

Post by eddiesmith »

It’s one thing to say people should love the club, but when that player has sat back and watched a less talented player get paid massive overs, why should he accept less?

If we can sign him for 800-850 it’d be a bargain.
Pies2016
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 99 times

Post by Pies2016 »

The General wrote:He can walk to a club as a free agent and we get something like pick 12 as compensation. But it he was on the trade table what would he be worth? You would think we would get close to two first (not quite top ten) picks for him.

So how could we turn it around so that we get his trade value instead of the measly compensation?
There’s a POSSIBLE Jeremy Cameron scenario where another club commits to DeGoey for big money and behind the scenes, both those parties have agreed in principle. Under that arrangement, Collingwood would then match that big money offer knowing DeGoey ( as a restricted free agent ) has committed elsewhere anyway. This forces the committed destination club to orchestrate a closer to market value trade in order for Collingwood to withdraw the matched offer. I’m not saying it’s a likely outcome but it’s happened before. Free agents hold all the power, so getting a true market value return is unlikely.

The Dangerfield scenario was slightly different again, where the Crows went to Geelong and said if you don’t give us something better than the compensation pick, we will match the Dangerfield offer and he will be obliged to stay. Geelong caved in and the Crows got something improved on the value of the compo pick.
The only good news is, the better the offer put to DeGoey from another club, the better the compensation pick becomes.
I suppose I should add, I would rather he stay but either way, life goes on.
Last edited by Pies2016 on Fri May 06, 2022 6:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MatthewBoydFanClub
Been liked: 1 time

Post by MatthewBoydFanClub »

He’s our best player. Simple as that.
stui magpie
Has liked: 84 times
Been liked: 95 times

Post by stui magpie »

I found the article in the Herald Sun, it's a decent summation. Basically we're in a win-win situation.

We either re-sign him on a price we can live with or he takes a godfather offer we aren't prepared to match and leaves.

If he stays we keep a very good player at a price we can afford,
If he goes we get a decent draft pick and save $800k+ in cap space that can be used to chase a KPF.

I'd like to keep him but the price has to be right.
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
BazBoy
Been liked: 37 times

Post by BazBoy »

Thanks Stui. That’s the article all right

He stays that’s good

He leaves chasing $$$& we don’t necessarily suffer

But it’s said he wants to stay so that should be incentive to get consistent
I'm not arguing--just explaining why i am right
Dave The Man
Been liked: 8 times

Post by Dave The Man »

stui magpie wrote:I found the article in the Herald Sun, it's a decent summation. Basically we're in a win-win situation.

We either re-sign him on a price we can live with or he takes a godfather offer we aren't prepared to match and leaves.

If he stays we keep a very good player at a price we can afford,
If he goes we get a decent draft pick and save $800k+ in cap space that can be used to chase a KPF.

I'd like to keep him but the price has to be right.
Also IF he Leaves we most likely have 2 Picks in the Top 10 in the Draft
I am Da Man
piffdog
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 46 times

Post by piffdog »

derkd wrote:I have banged on about this the last three years...my views on this have never shifted.

I have NO issue at all if the club agreed to part ways with De Goey at seasons end.

Indeed I think in the long run it will be a Win/Win for both parties. We as a club are rebuilding. De Goey is already 26 within a good age range...but outside the "up and coming" range.

He still drifts in and out of games far too frequently to be consistent. He has good quaters...but that is all he has ever done. Players like Bont, Dusty, Christian Petracca... have 30+ and can kick 3 or 4 goals consistently.

Let alone the off season(s) worry.

If we are going to fast track our rebuilding...saving almost 1 million bucks and landing another top 10 pick will be huge help.

De Goey for the sake of his career needs to go to a club on the edge of a premiership.

I also really worry about handing out anymore big contracts...we already feel very heavy on these.
Can I get a list of games where players kick “3-4 and get 30+“. Pretty rate feat - least along a single player doing it consistently.
It's never as good/nor bad as it seems...
Ronnie McKeowns boots

Post by Ronnie McKeowns boots »

No way he will take 800k
"You hate a mean man, a grasping man, a man who wants everything and gives nothing. That’s Collingwood. They are a law unto themselves"

Jack 'Captain Blood' Dyer
Pies4shaw
Has liked: 96 times
Been liked: 116 times

Post by Pies4shaw »

piffdog wrote:Can I get a list of games where players kick “3-4 and get 30+“. Pretty rate feat - least along a single player doing it consistently.
It's a strange ask. Anyway, to the extent it might be thought to be relevant (or fair), De Goey hardly ever does either, let alone both.

Over his career, he has kicked 3 or more goals just 9 times (ie, once about every 14 games) and has had 30 or more disposals just 6 times (ie, once about every 21 games). In the 6 games in which he's had 30 or more disposals, he has kicked just one goal and six behinds - the goal was last year against St Kilda.

2021 was probably his best midfield year. He had at least 25 disposals in 9 of his 20 games. In those 9 games, he kicked a total of 6 goals - 1 game in which he kicked 2, 4 games in which he kicked 1 and 4 games in which he went goal-less.

The stats suggest that De Goey is a goal-kicker or a midfielder - but mostly not both.

For comparison, Sidebottom had 25 disposals and kicked 3 goals in the same game twice in 2011 - and kicked multiple goals and had more than 20 disposals in 7 matches that year (including the losing Grand Final). As we all remember, he also had 25 disposals and kicked 2 goals in the winning 2010 Grand Final.

The 3-goal, 30-disposal game does happen for Collingwood players. In 2013, Sidebottom had 31 disposals and kicked 3 goals against GWS. In 2016, he had 33 disposals and kicked 4 goals against Essendon on Anzac Day. In 2018, he had 34 disposals and kicked 3 goals against Carlton.

And if you drop the threshold to 25 disposals and multiple goals, Sidebottom has done it 22 times. De Goey has done it just twice.
Lazza

Post by Lazza »

It is not exactly a win - win situation but if he leaves the options available are better than what they are normally. I have always said that I wish to have players who WANT to play for Collingwood but these days I get that money makes a hell of a difference. So be it. The outcome will be what it is.
Don't confuse your current path with your final destination. Just because it's dark and stormy now doesn't meant that you aren't headed for glorious sunshine!