The rise of alcohol free beverages.

Nick's current affairs & general discussion about anything that's not sport.
Voice your opinion on stories of interest to all at Nick's.

Moderator: bbmods

Skids
Has liked: 26 times
Been liked: 30 times

The rise of alcohol free beverages.

Post by Skids »

Don't count the days, make the days count.
stui magpie
Has liked: 71 times
Been liked: 73 times

Post by stui magpie »

The Great Northern Zero tastes just like Great Northern.

I had Christmas and my Grandsons birthday at my Daughters place, so that involved driving. Rather than trying to just have a couple of beers I took a 6 pack of Great Northern Zero.

Felt normal drinking as Beer does little to me anyway, except I knew that I was 0.00 when it came time to drive home.
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
Dark Beanie
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 16 times

Post by Dark Beanie »

I have tried Lyres Spirits.
Not too bad but you need to play around with the mixes to get something to your taste. You can buy mini bottles if you just want to try.

Noticed that there are more non-alcoholic wines, spirits & beers in the supermarket.

Haven't yet had any non-alcoholic wines that don't taste like lolly water, would rather drink soft drink or mineral water.
If you are foolish enough to be contented, don't show it, but just grumble with the rest. - Jerome K Jerome
David
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 35 times

Post by David »

I think it's a great development too. Didn't realise there'd be such a market for them, but you see them everywhere now. I have a close friend who's struggled with alcohol addiction for years (couldn't go to sleep without it) and has found these a godsend.
"Every time we witness an injustice and do not act, we train our character to be passive in its presence." – Julian Assange
stui magpie

Post by stui magpie »

I don't get the no alcohol spirits. I've seen No Alcohol Gin which costs nearly as much as proper Gin. Rather than paying a premium for no alcohol G&T I'd rather just drink straight Tonic.
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
Woods Of Ypres
Been liked: 4 times

Post by Woods Of Ypres »

yeh but drinking straight tonic is not going to taste like G&T. gin has its own flavour - juniper, botanticals, and whatever else

non-alco vodka would be pointless though

i read somewhere that the reason non alco beer is expensive is due to the cost of production. they have to produce in ultra-sterile conditions since any hint of fermentation destroys the whole batch
Skids

Post by Skids »

Woods Of Ypres wrote:yeh but drinking straight tonic is not going to taste like G&T. gin has its own flavour - juniper, botanticals, and whatever else

non-alco vodka would be pointless though

i read somewhere that the reason non alco beer is expensive is due to the cost of production. they have to produce in ultra-sterile conditions since any hint of fermentation destroys the whole batch
That's spot on and a reason why you'll never see it on tap. Alcohol kills any bacteria that might form in the hoses, no alcohol, no disinfection.

The G & T's (lyres), I can't tell the difference. I'll have one of those now and then at work, very refreshing.
Just on the free AF beverages at work. It was in response to the well publicised stories of sexual harassment etc on mine-sites, something I must say, in my 20+ years in mining, that I have never seen. There is a limit on alcohol too, no more than 4 mid strength drinks per day are allowed and it is heavily policed.

Another thing that stood out for me since quitting drinking was when my youngest daughter (22) Jess said to my wife, "I like Dad better now he's not drinking"..... It got me thinking, my kids had probably never seen me without a beer in my hand. My grandkids never will.

And yes Stui, great for not having to worry about an RBT. I've deleted my uber account too, no need for that anymore.
Bruce Gonsalves
Been liked: 2 times

Post by Bruce Gonsalves »

That's terrific Skids, coming from a fellow plumber of the same vintage, I'm also well into my third year of no alcohol. I could count on one hand in that time I've indulged, Christmas and one New Years. I don't even bother with N.A. stuff these days.

It was such a crap habit, alcoholic? I'm not sure, I gave it up very easy and haven't looked back. Our lives are about to make a huge change with our sea change and I guarantee it wouldn't happened whilst drinking.
What'sinaname
Been liked: 9 times

Post by What'sinaname »

Nort is a ripper. Probably my favourite, followed by the James Squire

The G&T are good for a change up

No alcohol wine is a flop however.
Fighting against the objectification of woman.
stui magpie

Post by stui magpie »

Skids wrote:
That's spot on and a reason why you'll never see it on tap. Alcohol kills any bacteria that might form in the hoses, no alcohol, no disinfection.
Not quite. Beer lines can still develop mould and bacteria if not regularly cleaned.

Granted the alcohol content does kill the majority of bacteria but not all. :wink:
pietillidie
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 28 times

Post by pietillidie »

We order boxes of Big Drop ‐ Pine Trail Pale Ale and Galactic Milk Stout:

https://www.bigdropbrew.com/
In the end the rain comes down, washes clean the streets of a blue sky town.
Help Nick's: http://www.magpies.net/nick/bb/fundraising.htm
Skids

Post by Skids »

I tried the Pine Trail and I have to say, it was one of the most tasteless ones I've had. Might have to try a few others from their range.
Have you tried Nort or Heaps Normal?
Arch@M32
Has liked: 119 times
Been liked: 8 times

Post by Arch@M32 »

I opened this feed expecting it to be people saying "why bother?", "Just drink real beer".
But as a non drinker I am pleasantly surprised.
My favourites are Nort and Heaps Normal. I find Carlton Zero hugely variable. And find Great Northern undrinkable.
Skids

Post by Skids »

Arch@M32 wrote:I opened this feed expecting it to be people saying "why bother?", "Just drink real beer".
But as a non drinker I am pleasantly surprised.
My favourites are Nort and Heaps Normal. I find Carlton Zero hugely variable. And find Great Northern undrinkable.
Everyone's taste differs. My 2 favourites are the ones you mentioned. I don't mind the Gt Northern. My barber drinks the Gt Northern and one of his mates popped in. The bloke only drinks Gt Northern on tap. Old mate poured him a zero into a nice cold glass, he drank 3 and didn't even realise it wasn't the real deal.

I just bought a Box of the Becks Blue. $40 and definitely one of the best value ones.
pietillidie
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 28 times

Post by pietillidie »

Skids wrote:I tried the Pine Trail and I have to say, it was one of the most tasteless ones I've had. Might have to try a few others from their range.
Have you tried Nort or Heaps Normal?
Just checking now. Looks like there's a gluten-free Heaps Normal (forgot to mention Big Drop are also GF).
In the end the rain comes down, washes clean the streets of a blue sky town.
Help Nick's: http://www.magpies.net/nick/bb/fundraising.htm