So. What's for Dinner?

Nick's current affairs & general discussion about anything that's not sport.
Voice your opinion on stories of interest to all at Nick's.

Moderator: bbmods

think positive
Has liked: 212 times
Been liked: 85 times

Post by think positive »

They are the best and easy to clean! Try cutting up some halloumi into chunks, 5 min and it’s fricken heaven! I like the Cyprus style from coles, $18 bucks for a big slab of it!

Chips to die for! Buy the big side Kmart one, not the square one though. Cheap but brilliant.
You cant fix stupid, turns out you cant quarantine it either!
eddiesmith
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 16 times

Post by eddiesmith »

Thank guys, not preheating and not heating up the kitchen are definite bonuses. I’ve ended up closing the kitchen off when cooking as it seems a waste of the air con to try and cool it down when the ovens on.
stui magpie
Has liked: 71 times
Been liked: 73 times

Post by stui magpie »

Made a tasty lamb curry last night, no recipe, Rogan Josh sauce in jars and veges that don't belong.

4 forequarter chops browned in the dutch oven, remove and set aside

Add veges and brown. Zucchini, Lebanese Eggplant, Cauliflower, beans and sweet potato.

Add sauce, bring to simmer, put chops back in, stir and put on lid. Cook for 90 minutes stirring occasionally. Served with Zucchini spaghetti.

Yum
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
stui magpie

Post by stui magpie »

Brisket with a difference last night.

Decided to do a beef casserole in the crockpot last night and tried something a tad different.

Bought a brisket. Seasoned and browned it Saturday and put it back in the fridge.

Sunday I cut it up into roughly 2 inch square chunks, much bigger than the normal diced beef, and cooked it for 8 hours with a bunch of veges and some packet mix seasoning.

The plan was to be able to dish up the casserole with the large chunks of brisket so you could either cut them with a fork or shred them depending on preference and worked perfectly. Daughter shredded it for her and the grandson, mum and I cut them up as we were eating.

Successful experiment. :D
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
Skids
Has liked: 26 times
Been liked: 30 times

Post by Skids »

I must say, the food we are now getting on-site is awesome!

Mrs Rinehart wanted to improve the quality after a recent visit to site and improve it they have!
As an example, here's last nights dinner menu.

SOUPS
Pork & Tamarind Broth
Pumpkin, carrot & ginger

GRILL
Orange marinated free range Pork chops
Gravy, Caraway & mustard jus
Grilled pineapple, steamed kale
Sweet potato & salsa verde, potato & onion hash
Steamed chats with butter

SPICE
Beef alo korma
Basmati rice, onion bhaji
yoghurt

PASTA
Shell pasta with napolitana sauce

VEGAN
Moroccan roast vegetables
Vegan paneer makani

COOKED TO ORDER
Wourie Pool Sirloin with mushroom sauce
Salmon Fillet, corn salsa
Tandoori chicken, lemon yoghurt

Then there's a bain marie full of assorted cheeses including, dutch smoked, blue vein, jarslberg, camambert, cheddar etc

For sweets there was custard tarts, carrot cake, chocolate mousse and a few other choices.

Outstanding.
Don't count the days, make the days count.
think positive

Post by think positive »

stui magpie wrote:Brisket with a difference last night.

Decided to do a beef casserole in the crockpot last night and tried something a tad different.

Bought a brisket. Seasoned and browned it Saturday and put it back in the fridge.

Sunday I cut it up into roughly 2 inch square chunks, much bigger than the normal diced beef, and cooked it for 8 hours with a bunch of veges and some packet mix seasoning.

The plan was to be able to dish up the casserole with the large chunks of brisket so you could either cut them with a fork or shred them depending on preference and worked perfectly. Daughter shredded it for her and the grandson, mum and I cut them up as we were eating.

Successful experiment. :D
now there is an idea, imma gunna get the slow cooked briskets from woolworths, she loves those! my eldest, her BF and puppy are comin for dinner, gluten and lactose free, $@&^# if i know what to cook!
stui magpie

Post by stui magpie »

Geez skids, that's some good tucker for a mine site :shock:

What's the breakfast and lunch options? I'd put on 10kg in a week working there. That stuff would be wasted on half the crew wouldn't it?

TP, :lol: get yourself a slow cooker. Chuck stuff in it in the morning, ignore it all day, eat dinner at night. Plenty of recipes online :wink:
Skids

Post by Skids »

Hey Stui, Breakfast menu

Fried Eggs
Scrambled eggs
Poached eggs
Bolied eggs to order
Mixed vegie frittata

Baked beans
Spaghetti
Tuscan Tomatoes
Creamed mushrooms with tarragon
Hash Browns
Grilled bacon
BBQ beef sausages
+ Chefs daily special (was a spinach, tomato & onion omelette yesterday)

Cereals and porridge.
stui magpie

Post by stui magpie »

Where do I sign? I know how to change a tap washer. :wink:
Skids

Post by Skids »

:lol:
I only have breakfast in the mess on Sundays. Every other day it's weetbix with some chia and hemp seeds.
Same with dinner, I might sit in there once or twice a week, but I eat most of my food around 11am. I'll get the steak or chicken off the grill, put it in a takeaway container and put it in the pie warmer next morning.
You can take away stuff from the hot baine marie and there's also pre packed items; veggies, salads etc.... this (prepacked)is a covid thing. We usually just pick n pack our own.

The fruit selection is also outstanding. There's kiwi fruit, dragon fruit, grapes, nachis and the standard, bananas, apples, oranges pears etc.

Last year's Xmas dinner was the best Xmas feed I've ever had. Waygu beef, crays, crabs, oysters, prawns.... you name it, it was here.

Oh yeah, they've also put a pool heater/cooler into the swimming pool. Constant 27 degrees I just finished a 1500m swim. This time last year I was doing it in a wetsuit.
think positive

Post by think positive »

stui magpie wrote:Geez skids, that's some good tucker for a mine site :shock:

What's the breakfast and lunch options? I'd put on 10kg in a week working there. That stuff would be wasted on half the crew wouldn't it?

TP, :lol: get yourself a slow cooker. Chuck stuff in it in the morning, ignore it all day, eat dinner at night. Plenty of recipes online :wink:
hubby hates em! we do have one, funny occassionally he cooks this weird arse chicken dish in it, and the rest of us are like, oh god no!

i bought slow cooked briskets from wollies, scalloped potatoes and sweet potato in lactose free cheese, cream and coconut milk, and carrots and trees.

gluten free lactose free brownies, and apple pies (made the brownies from a box!!) it was a great night,

i think salmon tonight cos i justt realised i have nothing ready, and its a no brainer, glad i saw the thread, im not hungry so i didnt even think about dinner!!
Skids

Post by Skids »

My word!
Red Emperor with tomato/caper relish was one of the best pieces of fish I've had in a long time! Steamed broccoli and asparagus with some sweet potato chips topped it off perfectly.
think positive

Post by think positive »

Yum
Skids

Post by Skids »

I was pretty hungry after a long day in the trenches so went into the mess for a feed.
I had the "plantagenet" Italian pork rissoles with tomato & herb sauce with the Chilli, parmesan & basil steamed veggies.
The blueberry muffin capped it off, washed down with a couple of AF G & T's.
stui magpie

Post by stui magpie »

I refuse to eat artificial meat. Just look at the ingredients list, it's frankenfood.

For tonight I put some beef meatballs in the slowcooker, after browning them, with some packet sauce and veges. Celery, Carrot, Onion, Zucchini, Beans, Cauli, spuds.