#32 Will Hoskin-Elliott

This is a Collingwood Bulletin Board - use this forum for general, Pies-related topics. For other footy topics, use Nick's Other AFL forum, and for non-footy sporting topics please use Nick's Sports Bar. For non-sporting topics please use the Victoria Park Tavern.

Moderator: bbmods

September Zeros

WHE - yeah you know me.

Post by September Zeros »

Long time listener …..seldom poster …..so why not start a thread.

I’ve been itching to hear the oracle that is nicks, view on WHE. But either I missed it or he flys so low under the radar it hasn’t been raised of late.

Great game against freo and now a decent hit out against the scum. Credit to him. Didn’t star but he’s found a little form and we should get behind him for that.

So good time to raise the question imo, as footy is a journey and for now I think he stays. But I am genuinely interested in nicksters view of where he sits on our list? And what we want from him going forward.

This is not a ragging session. We should love all our guys who put in week in week out. (How do I bold something) I’m sure WHE does as much as he can to be the best he can.

But …….

Are there others ie Poulter who could play his position and offer even just as much on the back of the last few weeks.

Could the alternates make us that fraction stronger?

Or is he solid enough?

Over to you? And thanks in advance ….

All my love you amazing people
No Pressure, No Diamonds

They used to be a happy team at hawthorn.

I’ll be the first to reply to myself …….just to say how poignant my signature is ….Sam Mitchell
No Pressure, No Diamonds

Been liked: 2 times

Post by Brown26 »

I think we all know WHE is on the way out, and the others are on the way in. That doesn't mean it has to happen tomorrow though. I saw Sidey play a few games this year and I though, one season too many, he's over the hill. BUT his last two games have been excellent, so while I think this will (and should) be his last year, he's still in out best 22 on the park.

Don't forget too the benefits you get from having senior players at training and around the club to bring the younger guys through. I'm big wraps for Poulter BUT he needs to earn his spot and he needs to work on his two way running and impacting, and that has to happen in the VFL. Then he comes into the side. I reckon McInness will be a gun midfielder / high HFF too, but he's miles off ready at the moment so to promote him would NOT teach him anything at all at this stage, it would be detrimental IMO.

If these guys come through and are ready and deserve their spot and WHE is on the chopping block at that stage, then so be it and Poulter or whoever takes his place. Otherwise he's a known quantity and a useful utility at worst AND no younger player is promoted prematurely, which might hamper their progeression.

I think it's safe to say that is WHE is in our best 22 next year (in this form) then we wont be challenging, but that doesn't mean any of the younger guys deserve his spot!

- Ben
Johnno75
Been liked: 16 times

Post by Johnno75 »

Ollie Henry is now better than the 2018 version of WHE. What if Steele doesn’t go on is he worth keeping and turning him into a winger. We have better talent coming through in our mid small forwards.
Human behavioural studies suggest people who use a lot of swear words tend to be more honest & trustworthy.
Skids
Has liked: 26 times
Been liked: 30 times

Post by Skids »

While he's never been a huge possession getter, he has been fairly consistent. I'd like to see him hitting the scoreboard a bit more. 30 goals a season and he will get to 200 games next season.

His best is good enough to keep getting a run and as you stated, he looks like he's in a bit of touch at present, good on him.
Don't count the days, make the days count.
RudeBoy
Been liked: 73 times

Post by RudeBoy »

He is an impact player, with sublime skills. He will never be an accumulator and will never be a grunt player. He is what he is and atm he is valuable to our team. At present, players like Poulter have a long, long way to go to be as good as WHE.
Pies2016
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 87 times

Post by Pies2016 »

I reckon he’s had a good couple weeks hitting the scoreboard. What’s lost on his role is that it can be a fairly thankless position. He plays high half forward opening up space behind him and moving up to cover the traditional wing roles. There are times when his job description includes taking opposition away from the action and creating a hole for the deeper forwards to lead into and that ain’t for everyone. He’s no superstar but he’s going alright for mine.
skaman
Has liked: 41 times
Been liked: 13 times

Post by skaman »

If he was petrol he’d be E10
Enjoy yourself. Its later than you think!
Donny
Has liked: 46 times
Been liked: 23 times

Re: WHE - yeah you know me.

Post by Donny »

September Zeros wrote: (How do I bold something)
PMed you, mate.
Donny.

It's a game. Enjoy it. :D
dalyc
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 12 times

Post by dalyc »

RudeBoy wrote:He is an impact player, with sublime skills. He will never be an accumulator and will never be a grunt player. He is what he is and atm he is valuable to our team. At present, players like Poulter have a long, long way to go to be as good as WHE.
As good a comment as as seen for a while. Toot your horn!
Four legged animals good, two legged animals better
Boot
Been liked: 3 times

Post by Boot »

WHE is a very talented footballer who was a really vital contributor to the team's tilt at a premiership in 2018. Alas as in 2018 terms he just misses out on being an elite talent as he can't seem to be consistent across the whole 4 quarters but continues to tease with weekly glimpse's of special moments such as marking in the middle of a pack 20 meters directly in front vs Fremantle.
Before this season started I was hoping Caleb Poulter would pass WHE as our preferred winger / HFF but Poulter hasn't developed as much as I had hoped he would. in the meantime WHE is currently performing OK in a difficult role as the high half forward so I'd be keeping him around for another couple of years.
Collingwood Domination. Envy of the Nation!
What'sinaname
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 9 times

Post by What'sinaname »

Doesn't do enough, either as a forward or on the wing. Look at Sidey as to how much hard running a wing should do. Sidey is marking the ball unattended in F50 one minute and rushing a behind in our D50 the next.
Fighting against the objectification of woman.
September Zeros

Bumping my own thread ….this guy is seemingly a barometer for our team. Not starring but has really hit form and I have just the smallest of egg on my face as a result.

Nice work Will. Keep it up,
No Pressure, No Diamonds

Has liked: 128 times
Been liked: 191 times

Post by Jezza »

The wing position really suits him.
🏆 | 1902 | 1903 | 1910 | 1917 | 1919 | 1927 | 1928 | 1929 | 1930 | 1935 | 1936 | 1953 | 1958 | 1990 | 2010 | 2023 | 🏆
Pies2016
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 87 times

Post by Pies2016 »

He’s become our “ Mr Fix it “ . If you check out his heat map this week, he virtually played all over the ground. Both sides and equal offence and defence.
Just another one of those players who finds a new lease of life under a different coach
Gary Player “ the harder I practice, the luckier I get “