#2 Jordan De Goey

This is a Collingwood Bulletin Board - use this forum for general, Pies-related topics. For other footy topics, use Nick's Other AFL forum, and for non-footy sporting topics please use Nick's Sports Bar. For non-sporting topics please use the Victoria Park Tavern.

Moderator: bbmods

think positive
Has liked: 240 times
Been liked: 90 times

Post by think positive »

Skids wrote:Surely he sticks with the club that has supported him immensely the whole time?!?
It's unreal isn't it, I'd give my left nut to (have the ability) pull on a Collingwood jumper and play for the greatest club on the planet my entire career.
this has long been my view in these situations, ungrateful spoilt pampered brats!

neil wrote:^ Agree JDG rarely performs well two weeks in a row let alone a whole month. Save the money reduce salary cap pressure and think about two first round draft picks at end of season
yep! we should not be begging him,

best player? only when it suits him, id rather the consistency and effort of the young guns personally
You cant fix stupid, turns out you cant quarantine it either!
AnthonyC
Been liked: 1 time

Post by AnthonyC »

Unless the retention of Jordy is untenable for whatever reason any thought of being happy to let him go is ludicrous.

It's not just about how consistent he is, sure that would be great, the point is he is a genuine match winner. That type of player is rare. I'd rather keep Jordan and have him be somewhat inconsistent.
Go Pies!
CaptainSnooze

Degoey's workhorse

Post by CaptainSnooze »

The workhorse: the player who is an elite runner that does all the defensive running to allow the star player to conserve his energy around the middle of the ground and be an offensive weapon.

Fyfe has had several teammates do it for him for years.

Dusty has Lambert

Petracca has Neal-Bullen.

Who is playing this role for Degoey?

I think it must be WHE.

He is picked every week even when his impact on the game appears low most weeks (from a supporters point of view). But if he is playing this role, possessions/goals/tackles are not what is defining his impact from the coaches perspective.
piffdog
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 46 times

Post by piffdog »

Yesss - well done. I hadn’t considered this aspect before but I think you might be onto something. All the superstars need a butler to clean up after them so they can focus on the important stuff.

I like it. I also like Hosko - he gets a lot of shade on here - but if he was that much of a dead weight he wouldn’t be playing. Clearly they rate him internally more than all of us on the outside.

Great call…
It's never as good/nor bad as it seems...
MatthewBoydFanClub
Been liked: 1 time

Post by MatthewBoydFanClub »

Have to say I was shocked at the criticism of De Goey's game on Sunday. Without De Goey's goal in the last quarter we were cooked. He's not in the team for the physical stuff. He's there to make the play. He can physically take it but he's not there to dish it out. He needs others in the team to help him out.
derkd
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 22 times

Post by derkd »

MatthewBoydFanClub wrote:Have to say I was shocked at the criticism of De Goey's game on Sunday. Without De Goey's goal in the last quarter we were cooked. He's not in the team for the physical stuff. He's there to make the play. He can physically take it but he's not there to dish it out. He needs others in the team to help him out.
Yeah his game was alright, without being great. Problem is 'alight' isn't worth $800,000 a season.
"To know nothing of events before your birth, is to forever remain a child" - Cicero (Roman Lawyer/Senator) 46 BCE.
What'sinaname
Been liked: 17 times

Re: Degoey's workhorse

Post by What'sinaname »

CaptainSnooze wrote:The workhorse: the player who is an elite runner that does all the defensive running to allow the star player to conserve his energy around the middle of the ground and be an offensive weapon.

Fyfe has had several teammates do it for him for years.

Dusty has Lambert

Petracca has Neal-Bullen.

Who is playing this role for Degoey?

I think it must be WHE.

He is picked every week even when his impact on the game appears low most weeks (from a supporters point of view). But if he is playing this role, possessions/goals/tackles are not what is defining his impact from the coaches perspective.
So WHE is being played to just run around?
Mr Miyagi
Has liked: 64 times
Been liked: 129 times

Post by Mr Miyagi »

De Goey’s workhorse needs to be De Goey. ;)
stui magpie
Has liked: 84 times
Been liked: 95 times

Post by stui magpie »

I think the point of the OP, please correct me if I'm wrong, is that Dusty for example would start midfield but stay forward of centre, so someone else would usually one of the forwards, needs to pick up the defensive run by basically joining the midfield.

I don't think it's WHE, I think Jordy's workhorse is Sidey and to a lesser degree Josh Daics.

Sidey in particular tends to stick to his wing and belts up and down applying good defensive support, Daics does similar.
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
CaptainSnooze

Post by CaptainSnooze »

So WHE is being played to just run around?[/quote]

No. To play a role in defensive structures and to help move the ball from back to mid and mid to forward. Averaging 14 disposals a game and kicked a few goals. Neal-Bullen 17 touches (rated elite for his position) but less goals.
CaptainSnooze

Post by CaptainSnooze »

stui magpie wrote:I think the point of the OP, please correct me if I'm wrong, is that Dusty for example would start midfield but stay forward of centre, so someone else would usually one of the forwards, needs to pick up the defensive run by basically joining the midfield.

I don't think it's WHE, I think Jordy's workhorse is Sidey and to a lesser degree Josh Daics.

Sidey in particular tends to stick to his wing and belts up and down applying good defensive support, Daics does similar.
McIntosh and Ellis (later Pickett) played the wings for the tigers. Lambert covers for Dusty.
Brayshaw and Langdon play the wings for the Demons. Neal-Bullen covers for Petracca.

So I assume Sidey and Daicos play the wing role and someone else (WHE?) covers for Degoey.

4 of the last 5 premiers have used this system, and Fly was at the tigers for some of those flags, so I'm presuming it's a very similar model.
Mr Miyagi

Post by Mr Miyagi »

It’s suiting Hosk, been playing his best footy in years
What'sinaname
Been liked: 17 times

Post by What'sinaname »

CaptainSnooze wrote:
No. To play a role in defensive structures and to help move the ball from back to mid and mid to forward. Averaging 14 disposals a game and kicked a few goals. Neal-Bullen 17 touches (rated elite for his position) but less goals.
WHE isn't getting into the defensive half of the ground. His average metres gained is 200m, which is the same as most forwards in the comp. If he was running back, he'd have somewhere around 400 - 500m gained on average.

Not sure if they do heatmaps anymore, but I would be shocked to see any orange or red in the defensive half of the ground for WHE.
CaptainSnooze

Post by CaptainSnooze »

What'sinaname wrote:
CaptainSnooze wrote:
WHE isn't getting into the defensive half of the ground. His average metres gained is 200m, which is the same as most forwards in the comp. If he was running back, he'd have somewhere around 400 - 500m gained on average.

Not sure if they do heatmaps anymore, but I would be shocked to see any orange or red in the defensive half of the ground for WHE.
They have them on the AFL app. They put a dot where every possession is collected.

Pretty much his possessions are 50/50. Depends on how the game is being played.

Against hawks 40% of his touches were in defensive half (not deep in defence).

Against Blues nearly 60% of his touches were in defence (some deep in defence).

Against Dockers under 30% but we dominated territory for majority of game.

Against Dogs just under 50%, some deep in defence.
Mr Miyagi

Post by Mr Miyagi »

Great post by the way, Snooze. Love the insight