#2 Jordan De Goey

This is a Collingwood Bulletin Board - use this forum for general, Pies-related topics. For other footy topics, use Nick's Other AFL forum, and for non-footy sporting topics please use Nick's Sports Bar. For non-sporting topics please use the Victoria Park Tavern.

Moderator: bbmods

Pies4shaw
Has liked: 97 times
Been liked: 117 times

Post by Pies4shaw »

David wrote:That’s all very well to say until it’s your drunken night out on the front pages of The Herald Sun and being discussed ad nauseam on TV and radio. How many of us, rich or poor, would be able to cope with that level of scrutiny? Do you think Hollywood actors and pop singers don’t suffer psychologically from this stuff too?
There are 2 quite discrete issues - first, whether we want the media to behave in this way, to which the answer is an unqualified "No"; secondly whether, given that the media does behave this way, it is anything other than slightly simple of any person to keep putting themselves in silly public situations that could lead to "bad press", to which the answer is an equally unqualified "No".
think positive
Has liked: 240 times
Been liked: 90 times

Post by think positive »

Pies4shaw wrote:
David wrote:That’s all very well to say until it’s your drunken night out on the front pages of The Herald Sun and being discussed ad nauseam on TV and radio. How many of us, rich or poor, would be able to cope with that level of scrutiny? Do you think Hollywood actors and pop singers don’t suffer psychologically from this stuff too?
There are 2 quite discrete issues - first, whether we want the media to behave in this way, to which the answer is an unqualified "No"; secondly whether, given that the media does behave this way, it is anything other than slightly simple of any person to keep putting themselves in silly public situations that could lead to "bad press", to which the answer is an equally unqualified "No".
Stands and applauds
You cant fix stupid, turns out you cant quarantine it either!
David
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 45 times

Post by David »

"Every time we witness an injustice and do not act, we train our character to be passive in its presence." – Julian Assange
Mr Miyagi
Has liked: 64 times
Been liked: 129 times

Post by Mr Miyagi »

LaurieHolden
Has liked: 174 times
Been liked: 176 times

Post by LaurieHolden »

The broader Media & Social Media bottom feeders et al have been quick to lynch JDG (and any player not in their own strip), before having accurate information. These incidents continue to be rich fodder for an AFL obsessed public.

It's one of our own, so naturally our defences are up, and given our history we're perhaps a little more hypersensitive to these situations. It's been disappointing though on a number of fronts, particularly the keyboard commentary.

If this matter impacts his contract negotiations and currency with other Clubs, so be it, it'll likely end up with a better financial deal for the CFC.
I just want him signed up and back in the fold of the Club, to let Fly and Co coach him to become the devastating on field player we know he can become. It won't be smooth sailing, we all know that, but he's my first pick when it comes to players you want firing when it counts.

In light of the facts, I hope the Club are right behind him this time, not to continue to defend him, but by keeping him close and continue to steer him and all of our players towards better decisions. If you take the newspaper across the snout too often, you either get bitten or you end up with cowering, we don't want to see either of these outcomes.
"The Club's not Jock, Ted and Gerry" (& Eddie)
2023 AFL Premiers
Mr Miyagi
Has liked: 64 times
Been liked: 129 times

Post by Mr Miyagi »

Imagine you wake up the next day after a fun night out where you did nothing illegal. You check your phone and there are 257 missed calls, 278 new messages and your phone is ringing again. Everyone from parents, siblings, cousins, uncles, friends, team mates, club officials, coaches, journalists, media, even someone who did some dog sitting for you ten years ago. All demanding to know if you’re ok, you’re in trouble, get your ass back home now, explain yourself, WTF did you do, etc. That’s been Jordy’s weekend. Imagine what he’ll cop when he gets back to Melbourne.
Pies4shaw

Post by Pies4shaw »

Pies4shaw

Post by Pies4shaw »

Mr Miyagi wrote:Imagine you wake up the next day after a fun night out where you did nothing illegal. You check your phone and there are 257 missed calls, 278 new messages and your phone is ringing again. Everyone from parents, siblings, cousins, uncles, friends, team mates, club officials, coaches, journalists, media, even someone who did some dog sitting for you ten years ago. All demanding to know if you’re ok, you’re in trouble, get your ass back home now, explain yourself, WTF did you do, etc. That’s been Jordy’s weekend. Imagine what he’ll cop when he gets back to Melbourne.
You write about this as if it's never ever happened to any of us and is entirely hypothetical.
Culprit
Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 35 times

Post by Culprit »

This will be over next week when we play again. I did laugh at the Women's movement for de Goey using the hashtag #enoughisenough as that is theirs and they apparently own it. I would suggest he's not that smart. The club has come out and stated all players are on a break, if he can't go to Bali and party then what's the point of the break?
Damien
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 11 times

Post by Damien »

^^^ Correct.

And listen, JDG ain’t ever gunna win a Pulitzer or a Nobel Prize but he can play footy really good and that is all that matters to me. I hope this non-event has turned off any potential suitors thinking of poaching him.

I think he is the perfect Collingwood player in the finest traditions of Millane, Banks, Swann and Didak. There are enough Vanilla players in the AFL.

In fact, when Jordie gets back home, tell him he now has a mentoring role for young Jack Ginnavan. Next time take him with you to Bali and teach him
The ropes. I’m serious.
'Collingwood are the Bradmans of Football'
The Herald - 1930
think positive

Post by think positive »

think positive

Post by think positive »

Damien wrote:^^^ Correct.

And listen, JDG ain’t ever gunna win a Pulitzer or a Nobel Prize but he can play footy really good and that is all that matters to me. I hope this non-event has turned off any potential suitors thinking of poaching him.

I think he is the perfect Collingwood player in the finest traditions of Millane, Banks, Swann and Didak. There are enough Vanilla players in the AFL.

In fact, when Jordie gets back home, tell him he now has a mentoring role for young Jack Ginnavan. Next time take him with you to Bali and teach him
The ropes. I’m serious.
I notice you have sons in your photo
Pies4shaw

Post by Pies4shaw »

Damien wrote:I think he is the perfect Collingwood player in the finest traditions of Millane, Banks, Swan and Didak.
He might be worthy of mention in a sentence with any of them if he ever won anything - the sense I get is that, for many on here, him behaving like a "star" who has won everything is every bit as good as if he actually were a star who had won everything. So far, he's just a dumb-arse who displays limited self-control and disappears when it matters in big finals. Like many before him, he's grossly overrated as a player because he wears black and white stripes. Fundamentally, anyone can behave like Dustin Martin or Darren Millane in public - what differentiates them from others as footballers is their performances on the field when it actually matters.

They're not selected to play afl footy because they were prefects in year 12 but nor are they selected because they are idiots. And the fact that some fine players are idiots doesn't make the other idiots better footballers.
think positive

Post by think positive »

Pies4shaw wrote:
Damien wrote:I think he is the perfect Collingwood player in the finest traditions of Millane, Banks, Swan and Didak.
He might be worthy of mention in a sentence with any of them if he ever won anything - the sense I get is that, for many on here, him behaving like a "star" who has won everything is every bit as good as if he actually were a star who had won everything. So far, he's just a dumb-arse who displays limited self-control and disappears when it matters in big finals. Like many before him, he's grossly overrated as a player because he wears black and white stripes. Fundamentally, anyone can behave like Dustin Martin or Darren Millane in public - what differentiates them from others as footballers is their performances on the field when it actually matters.

They're not selected to play afl footy because they were prefects in year 12 but nor are they selected because they are idiots. And the fact that some fine players are idiots doesn't make the other idiots better footballers.

OMG yes ye yes yes YES! Exactly this!
inxs88
Been liked: 4 times

Post by inxs88 »

Jordan has 1980's sensibilities in a more scrutinised 2022 environment and whether that is fair or not isn't the issue.

As Eddie said a couple of years ago in regards to Travis Cloke in that "if you want the big bucks and long-term contract,you have to handle ALL the that comes with it".

So Jordan, party on man, be a flog, embarrass the club, act like a misogynist and extend your wrap sheet however please: "don't dare via your flog brother-in-law agent, have the audacity to ask for more than $600,000 or 3 years"!!!

You cannot have it all!
I love the Pies, hate Carlscum