#2 Jordan De Goey

This is a Collingwood Bulletin Board - use this forum for general, Pies-related topics. For other footy topics, use Nick's Other AFL forum, and for non-footy sporting topics please use Nick's Sports Bar. For non-sporting topics please use the Victoria Park Tavern.

Moderator: bbmods

MJ23

Post by MJ23 »

1. He's Done nothing illegal
2. Anything with the female was clearly consensual and she now has said the same.
3. He is paid to play footy, which he is doing well.
4. The vultures attacking the hardest just want him out of Collingwood and will not blink an eye with him at another club.
5. IF THIS is what tips him out.....IF the club or members of the board use this to tip him out. Then Id be pulling my membership.

There could be other factors that see him leave the club that Id be ok with. This tho is ridiculous.
"Even when Im old and gray, I wont be able to play but Ill still love the game"
Michael Jordan
themonk

Post by themonk »

MJ23 wrote:1. He's Done nothing illegal
2. Anything with the female was clearly consensual and she now has said the same.
4. The vultures attacking the hardest just want him out of Collingwood and will not blink an eye with him at another club.
5. IF THIS is what tips him out.....IF the club or members of the board use this to tip him out. Then Id be pulling my membership.

There could be other factors that see him leave the club that Id be ok with. This tho is ridiculous.
I think many feel the same.

Then you have tbe AFL trying to work out why attendance numbers have dropped, fans are sick of illogical, biased and spontaneous decisions.
WhyPhilWhy?
Has liked: 26 times
Been liked: 26 times

Post by WhyPhilWhy? »

MJ23 wrote:3. He is paid to play footy, which he is doing well.
That's simply not true these days. I'm sure his contract, like all other footballers, has mention of media and sponsorship commitments.
Harrysz
Been liked: 4 times

Post by Harrysz »

There's a clause in every player contract that they must not engage in activity which could bring the club into disrepute. Pulling the top of the girl's dress to try to expose her breast exposed Collingwood to ridicule. This dickhead behaviour in a public place creates embarrassment for the club, something that JDG clearly didn't consider or care about.

His behaviour is not saved by the fact that his action was consensual. Had it not been consensual then things would have been far more serious and possibly criminal. Lots of excuses on here for Jordy's behaviour. But do we really need this nonsense? Will it stop if he stays?
derkd
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 22 times

Post by derkd »

May I offer a counter point:

Points 1 and 2 - are correct, to the letter of the law he has done nothing wrong. However this isn't the first time he has walked the tight rope on this issue and has embarrassed the club and more importantly risked all important sponsors. This is now repeat behaviour.

Point 3 - not paid just to play football anymore. You are in this day and age paid to behave in a manner that does not bring your employer (Collingwood and the AFL) into disrepute. Indeed, as are we all. I can tell you right now in most of our jobs, you sign as part of your contract a clause to do with social media.

Point 4 go back an look at my posts since last trade period, I have been calling for the club to trade Jordy, he is a good player...but certainly not worth the off feild liability issues. His value now would be half what it was.

Sometimes it is best if two parties just part ways. Jordy might not like it,but when your being paid a lot of money...you have to conform to what your employer expects, indeed, what society expects...gone are the days when you can do as you wish on holidays in the AFL.
"To know nothing of events before your birth, is to forever remain a child" - Cicero (Roman Lawyer/Senator) 46 BCE.
Damien
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 11 times

Post by Damien »

derkd wrote:

May I offer a counter point:

Points 1 and 2 - are correct, to the letter of the law he has done nothing wrong. However this isn't the first time he has walked the tight rope on this issue and has embarrassed the club and more importantly risked all important sponsors. This is now repeat behaviour.

Point 3 - not paid just to play football anymore. You are in this day and age paid to behave in a manner that does not bring your employer (Collingwood and the AFL) into disrepute. Indeed, as are we all. I can tell you right now in most of our jobs, you sign as part of your contract a clause to do with social media.

Point 4 go back an look at my posts since last trade period, I have been calling for the club to trade Jordy, he is a good player...but certainly not worth the off feild liability issues. His value now would be half what it was.

Sometimes it is best if two parties just part ways. Jordy might not like it,but when your being paid a lot of money...you have to conform to what your employer expects, indeed, what society expects...gone are the days when you can do as you wish on holidays in the AFL.
That’s your opinion but I disagree. I say Keep him in the fold. Get around him. Continue to support him and educate him. That’s my view. That’s the sort of club I want to be a part of.

Also, I’m part of society; and what he did in Bali is pretty much in keeping with my expectations of many young, immature blokes. They’re not bad people, they just do silly things sometimes. Just as JG and IQ have done too. And don’t give me the argument that at 26 he should know better. Everyone is different and plenty of guys never mature.
'Collingwood are the Bradmans of Football'
The Herald - 1930
inxs88
Been liked: 4 times

Post by inxs88 »

Remember Al Capone got done for tax evasion (only). This latest fracas with Jordy may be similar in severity (lack thereof) but ultimately penal.
I love the Pies, hate Carlscum
scoobydoo
Been liked: 5 times

Post by scoobydoo »

Another thing the hypocrites on classified missed/declined to mention was all the athletes who ‘liked’ Jordy’s post. They kept saying it was he’s team mates but there are more non team mates there. One in particular they chose not to mention was Sam Kerr ‘liking’ Jordy’s post on the media harassing athletes.
Media=scum.
Except for Ed &Bucks
Johnno75
Been liked: 20 times

Post by Johnno75 »

Despite any opinions……..and mine is at 26 he is a deadset goose and should know better, although you could argue most males don’t mature unless in a stable relationship/married or start a family. At the end of the day it comes down to the Collingwood board, At least half wanted him gone after the NY incident, so given this was his first trip since that and he has made a goose of himself, they will feel he hasn’t learnt from anything in the past and is unlikely too. I think he is in deep trouble and the fact that they have pulled their contract offer shouldn’t be taken lightly.
Human behavioural studies suggest people who use a lot of swear words tend to be more honest & trustworthy.
Boot
Been liked: 3 times

Post by Boot »

I'm worried that Collingwood is at risk of throwing the baby out with the bath water. The fact is that DeGoey has created headlines with the video's of what he got up to in Bali but did nothing illegal. Throughout history, good football clubs have managed their talented footballers who have not been ideal citizens whilst at their club or been "party boys". Collingwood did it with Didak and Swan under Malthouse and that resulted in a premiership in 2010. Compromises were made in the tolerance of behavior to ensure that top talent was retained and flourished in the team environment that had a wide variance in personalities in it.
Hopefully the club can turn around this furore driven by the "woke infested media" and resign DeGoey on a contract that protects the club from the potential of any future DeGoey stuff-ups and gives DeGoey the remuneration he deserves. Collingwood will need to determine how much they can afford to contract DeGoey on and stick to that figure. If he decides to take an alternative offer from another club then so be it and we move on to make the best of a bad situation of loosing our best X-factor.
Perhaps the likes of Oliver Henry and Jamie Elliott will be able to step up to fill the void that DeGoey's loss would create in the Collingwood forward line? As for a replacement of the strong on-ball presence that DeGoey provides, then the likes of Macrae and Tyler Brown or even our mid season recruit Carmichael may have to step up.
Collingwood Domination. Envy of the Nation!
burnsy17

Post by burnsy17 »

What was acceptable in the past, probably wasn’t acceptable, to be honest.

It just didn’t have the coverage it has today through technology.

If camera phones and social media was around 40 years ago, do you think what players did then would be accepted as boys being boys?

Doubt it.

We’re just exposed to it now. We weren’t before unless we were physically there to see it.
Beware the swooping Magpie.
BazBoy
Been liked: 37 times

Post by BazBoy »

Can we change the title

Darcy , Jamie and Jordie go to Bali

Fox report Moore and Elliott there separate to De Goey
I'm not arguing--just explaining why i am right
Killbot

Post by Killbot »

Goneski for the rest of the 2022 season
burnsy17

Post by burnsy17 »

Club just sent an email.

Seems a $25k suspended fine and ongoing support from the club psych.

Also mentioned he has ADHD and he’s working through it.

So no suspension by the looks of it.
Beware the swooping Magpie.
aus50ford
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 2 times

Post by aus50ford »

Side by Side ...
I don't have a snappy catch phrase