#2 Jordan De Goey

This is a Collingwood Bulletin Board - use this forum for general, Pies-related topics. For other footy topics, use Nick's Other AFL forum, and for non-footy sporting topics please use Nick's Sports Bar. For non-sporting topics please use the Victoria Park Tavern.

Moderator: bbmods

Cam
Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 22 times

Post by Cam »

The AFL can get #$#$d

Jack Niall can get #$#$#d

Flagpies 2022 here we #$#$#ng come. They can sense it. Hold your hats!
Get back on top.
Jezza
Has liked: 175 times
Been liked: 236 times

Post by Jezza »

RudeBoy wrote:I consider myself a very progressive, old school leftie, opposed to racism, sexism, religion and snobbery and class elitism. However, I also understand that not everyone shares my views. I would never dare expect to be able to impose my views/values on others. Nevertheless, I will never hold back on expressing my views/values, even if they offend. I am not afraid of offending people, and I am not afraid of being offended by other peoples views I oppose.

With regards De Goey's behaviour in Bali - I thought it was immature and disrespectful, but as the female involved was happy with the attention and happy to post it up on instagram, then so be it. He did nothing wrong. End of story.

What I find extremely offensive, is the woke police, in Taliban style, forcing JDG to make a public apology and express remorse. Furthermore, I think it disgraceful that JDG has been penalised by our spineless club. If our club is genuinely concerned for JDG's welfare, then by all means provide psychological support and guidance, but to punish an employee for behaving in their own time, in a way not liked by our club, is beyond the pale. Seriously folks, these are dangerous times.
I consider myself a conservative person, but I agree with you 100%.

What is happening to the club and its players is nothing more than a media hit job. The hysteria around JDG is one thing, but I cannot believe that Ginnivan and IQ were forced to apologise. They did nothing wrong.

The club needs to stop reacting to events and appeasing woke idiots who hate us anyway. You're only answerable to the members who keep this club functioning.
Last edited by Jezza on Tue Jun 21, 2022 8:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
🏆 | 1902 | 1903 | 1910 | 1917 | 1919 | 1927 | 1928 | 1929 | 1930 | 1935 | 1936 | 1953 | 1958 | 1990 | 2010 | 2023 | 🏆
Brown26
Been liked: 2 times

Post by Brown26 »

I get your point Rudey but I think these days the players are paid, as has been pointed out, not just to play footy but to be footballers. That means not doing this sort of stuff in front of the camera. How many players have we and other teams have that have had "minders" to make sure this sort of stuff, which may be harmless in the local context and arguably not once it his mainstream and social media, not come to light and be wide spread knowledge?

With this in mind I would say Jordy isn't being punished (25K suspended and a bit of humble pie really), he's being forced to make amends for some of the negative publicity he's created for the club. He's being asked (and basically forced) to put his public role model hat back on and conform, which is part of every AFL players uniform these days and exactly what they sign up for.

From a non-AFL club point of view, from a community view you can certainly argue that this sort of behaviour is disrespecting women and creates an environment and society that encourages disrespect of women. You could also argue that the media /community / many people on here / response is actually SEXIST and disrespectful of the women involved - clearly the young lady involved had no problem with it BUT you / we all know better, its for her own good, she doesn't know what she wants etc. etc.

The CFC doesn't care about any of that. We don't care if Jordy was right, we don't care if young men will see his actions and be misoginysts, we don't care if he's creating a bad social environment, we don't care if it's patronising for the women involved or disenfranchising or anything like that. We don't want to be good role models or good community citizens or good people, we want to conform to social standards so we stay out of the media and can have a trouble free run at the finals. Our business is playing good football and winning games and ultimately winning premierships and this behaviour, today and in the current societal environment, jeopardises that.

If Craig McRae says Jordy, run 20 laps so you get fitter and we can win more games, Jordy would run 20 laps. If he says Jordy, bench press 15kgs more so you can get stronger and we win more games, he'd bench press 15kgs more. If Craig McRae says Jordy, don't do anything stupid in Bali so you stay out of the press, so we stay focused on football and not distracted and we win more games, he'd bloody well better stay out of trouble or he's not doing what he's paid for. He know s this, they all know this, now he has to minimise that damage so we can..

WIN MORE GAMES!!

I would like to say we are being excellent community citizens and making sure our players are wonderful role models etc but in reality we just want this done and off the front pages so we can focus on footy. So Jordy needs to bloody well get in front of the cameras and apologies and eat humble pie and answer any journalist questions and get on the park on Sunday, cause that's what he's bloody well paid for. And turn off their bloody i phones if he goes out for a drink for God's sake - it's not rocket science!

- Ben
Mr Miyagi
Has liked: 64 times
Been liked: 129 times

Post by Mr Miyagi »

Cam wrote:The AFL can get #$#$d

Jack Niall can get #$#$#d

Flagpies 2022 here we #$#$#ng come. They can sense it. Hold your hats!
And Mark Robinson can go #$#$ the AFL getting #$#$d by Jake Niall. He must be off the booze this week going by his hatchet jobs and the latest “flaccid” gutter sniping headline just now. Wonder if anyone will take him to task for his flaccid “wink wink” schoolboy humour.
Last edited by Mr Miyagi on Tue Jun 21, 2022 8:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.
think positive
Has liked: 240 times
Been liked: 90 times

Post by think positive »

RudeBoy wrote:I consider myself a very progressive, old school leftie, opposed to racism, sexism, religion and snobbery and class elitism. However, I also understand that not everyone shares my views. I would never dare expect to be able to impose my views/values on others. Nevertheless, I will never hold back on expressing my views/values, even if they offend. I am not afraid of offending people, and I am not afraid of being offended by other peoples views I oppose.

With regards De Goey's behaviour in Bali - I thought it was immature and disrespectful, but as the female involved was happy with the attention and happy to post it up on instagram, then so be it. He did nothing wrong. End of story.

What I find extremely offensive, is the woke police, in Taliban style, forcing JDG to make a public apology and express remorse. Furthermore, I think it disgraceful that JDG has been penalised by our spineless club. If our club is genuinely concerned for JDG's welfare, then by all means provide psychological support and guidance, but to punish an employee for behaving in their own time, in a way not liked by our club, is beyond the pale. Seriously folks, these are dangerous times.
Mate I think your a legend. I hope you know that, we agree on many things and disagree on a few. So with respect this is the way I see it.

The club has supported DeGoey through the frisbee fight, drunk driving, the assault charges, I’m guessing NYC was the second last straw. Please also consider how many games he has not played due to all those off field exploits. I’d lay odds he was told a certain level of behaviour was expected. I’d also lay odds expectations were laid out for the Bali trip. Now you can say the club have no right to do that, but I digress. He is paid very well to play as many rounds as he physically can, and to give his best efforts every game. He missed a heap of preseason because of the New York trouble. I’m not going into that, who’s fault it was, did he pay his way out of it, fact is if he wasn’t out with his dodgy mate it would not have happened. But it did.

I don’t know if he was asked not to drink, but I’m guessing having alcohol poured down his throat was not what they expected or appreciated. The girl actually pushed his hand away, so she did object to his action, even if she was ok with it the next day, what if she didn’t stop him in time? It so easily could have gone very wrong. With 2 indecent assault charges, proven or not, does anyone think that’s a good look? And then to make gestures to a camera, he may as well have given the club the middle finger. His past is public record, and there is a thirst for such juicy gossip.

It could have been avoided so any ways. Better friends is one, a private party with no cameras is another. Or maybe go surfing.

How many hours did the club waste deflecting, discussing his antics, when they should have been enjoying their own break, or plotting our next win? 600 players had a mid season break. Only 1 so far has made front page news acting like a drunken lout.

He hasn’t been sacked, or suspended or fined, they have simply said well, we are worried, if you need to keep acting out not sure we can risk $800,000 a year from the salary cap, or risk not having a very expensive asset on the park. I personally think they have handled it magnificently. It’s up to Jordan now wether he is prepared todo the work.

The media: their job is to sell news, Collingwood sells news, good or bad stories, but yes the bloodthirsty fans really want the bad ones. It’s not the journalists fault we keep dishing them up on a platter. The solution is to do a Gablett junior, go to a less footy crazy town, or a less interesting team.

Or don’t give them anything to report.

I guess we will see Sunday, I don’t care if there are no magic moments, you can’t manufacture those, just get out there and play, give it your all. That’s what your paid to do.

Cheers
Last edited by think positive on Tue Jun 21, 2022 8:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
You cant fix stupid, turns out you cant quarantine it either!
Pies2016
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 101 times

Post by Pies2016 »

Like most, I dont have a problem in regard to any law breaking but I would ask this question. Let’s say he once again makes the news for the wrong reasons in the upcoming off season but without it constituting as a crime. Is that ok ?
Then let’s say he does similar again during the bye next season. No crime of course, so is that ok too ? ( and let’s be honest, there’s enough history to say these scenarios could actually unfold )
So at what point does a club adopt a different attitude to a repeat offender ?
Not a criminal but a naughty boy who continues to regularly distract Collingwood from its main goal.
I don’t have all the answers but I know something has to change where DeGoey is concerned. The club needs to do whatever it takes to get their point across and however that looks is fine by me. Anything less and there’s every chance it won’t be long before we all start blaming the press once more for DeGoeys thoughtless antics.
Gary Player “ the harder I practice, the luckier I get “
ANNODAM
Has liked: 21 times
Been liked: 34 times

Post by ANNODAM »

Blaming the media is a cop out.

STOP GIVING THEM SHIT TO WRITE ABOUT!
WE WERE ROBBED, RIGHT IN FRONT OF ME, RIGHT IN FRONT OF MEEE!

N.Y METS, N.Y GIANTS, PENRITH PANTHERS & HOBART HURRICANES FAN.

WE ALL LOOK GOOD AT TRAINING, IT'S THE MATCHES THAT COUNT!
think positive

Post by think positive »

Pies2016 wrote:Like most, I dont have a problem in regard to any law breaking but I would ask this question. Let’s say he once again makes the news for the wrong reasons in the upcoming off season but without it constituting as a crime. Is that ok ?
Then let’s say he does similar again during the bye next season. No crime of course, so is that ok too ? ( and let’s be honest, there’s enough history to say these scenarios could actually unfold )
So at what point does a club adopt a different attitude to a repeat offender ?
Not a criminal but a naughty boy who continues to regularly distract Collingwood from its main goal.
I don’t have all the answers but I know something has to change where DeGoey is concerned. The club needs to do whatever it takes to get their point across and however that looks is fine by me. Anything less and there’s every chance it won’t be long before we all start blaming the press once more for DeGoeys thoughtless antics.
Exactly right.

Like at school, the naughty kid behaves for a day, he gets an award, the kids who behave every day get nothing!
Brown26
Been liked: 2 times

Post by Brown26 »

I tend to agree TP - you basically have to be extra good if the media are shining their lights on you. It's a complex world re individual consent and societal condemnation but it's pretty simple to see how it will be and would be seen in the media and our toe-the-line society so he should've been smarter, should've known better and should NOT have done it. Now he needs to make up for it, not even the act or what he did but the publicity and negative press around it, which was entirely predictable.

If Jordy gets 20 touches and 6 tackles and leads the team for pressure acts on Sunday I'd be very happy. If he doesn't play because he refuses to front the media and the club basically suspends him I'll wish him well (and to conform!) at his next club.

- Ben
think positive

Post by think positive »

Brown26 wrote:I get your point Rudey but I think these days the players are paid, as has been pointed out, not just to play footy but to be footballers. That means not doing this sort of stuff in front of the camera. How many players have we and other teams have that have had "minders" to make sure this sort of stuff, which may be harmless in the local context and arguably not once it his mainstream and social media, not come to light and be wide spread knowledge?

With this in mind I would say Jordy isn't being punished (25K suspended and a bit of humble pie really), he's being forced to make amends for some of the negative publicity he's created for the club. He's being asked (and basically forced) to put his public role model hat back on and conform, which is part of every AFL players uniform these days and exactly what they sign up for.

From a non-AFL club point of view, from a community view you can certainly argue that this sort of behaviour is disrespecting women and creates an environment and society that encourages disrespect of women. You could also argue that the media /community / many people on here / response is actually SEXIST and disrespectful of the women involved - clearly the young lady involved had no problem with it BUT you / we all know better, its for her own good, she doesn't know what she wants etc. etc.

The CFC doesn't care about any of that. We don't care if Jordy was right, we don't care if young men will see his actions and be misoginysts, we don't care if he's creating a bad social environment, we don't care if it's patronising for the women involved or disenfranchising or anything like that. We don't want to be good role models or good community citizens or good people, we want to conform to social standards so we stay out of the media and can have a trouble free run at the finals. Our business is playing good football and winning games and ultimately winning premierships and this behaviour, today and in the current societal environment, jeopardises that.

If Craig McRae says Jordy, run 20 laps so you get fitter and we can win more games, Jordy would run 20 laps. If he says Jordy, bench press 15kgs more so you can get stronger and we win more games, he'd bench press 15kgs more. If Craig McRae says Jordy, don't do anything stupid in Bali so you stay out of the press, so we stay focused on football and not distracted and we win more games, he'd bloody well better stay out of trouble or he's not doing what he's paid for. He know s this, they all know this, now he has to minimise that damage so we can..

WIN MORE GAMES!!

I would like to say we are being excellent community citizens and making sure our players are wonderful role models etc but in reality we just want this done and off the front pages so we can focus on footy. So Jordy needs to bloody well get in front of the cameras and apologies and eat humble pie and answer any journalist questions and get on the park on Sunday, cause that's what he's bloody well paid for. And turn off their bloody i phones if he goes out for a drink for God's sake - it's not rocket science!

- Ben
Stands and applauds!
think positive

Post by think positive »

Brown26 wrote:I tend to agree TP - you basically have to be extra good if the media are shining their lights on you. It's a complex world re individual consent and societal condemnation but it's pretty simple to see how it will be and would be seen in the media and our toe-the-line society so he should've been smarter, should've known better and should NOT have done it. Now he needs to make up for it, not even the act or what he did but the publicity and negative press around it, which was entirely predictable.

If Jordy gets 20 touches and 6 tackles and leads the team for pressure acts on Sunday I'd be very happy. If he doesn't play because he refuses to front the media and the club basically suspends him I'll wish him well (and to conform!) at his next club.

- Ben
I agree but I’m not nice enough to wish him well!

Cheers!
PyreneesPie
Has liked: 66 times

Post by PyreneesPie »

Apparently a 'woke" image/brand is the most important element of a football club these days, far more significant than standing by your players and letting those who bully them know, that it's not on.

"Side by side" is no more and I will never sing that line of the club song again. .
schuey07

Post by schuey07 »

PyreneesPie wrote:Apparently a 'woke" image/brand is the most important element of a football club these days, far more significant than standing by your players and letting those who bully them know, that it's not on.

"Side by side" is no more and I will never sing that line of the club song again. .
I agree with you 100%. Disappointing what the club has done.
RudeBoy
Been liked: 85 times

Post by RudeBoy »

I reckon you're a legend TP. I understand your position on all of this, and part of me agrees with you. I guess my main frustration is the way, at the end of the day, despite all the high moral ground taken by sections of the media, AFL as well as our club, it's really just about money. The AFL and the CFC are concerned at damage to their 'brand'. They don't give a rats arse about sexism, mysogyny, racism, homelessness or anything else, unless it effects their bottom line.

If the people running our game, including the media, were really concerned with public decency and good community values they would ban gambling advertisements from our game. Furthermore, the pissheads, potheads and cokeheads in the media and at AFL headquarters, would subject themselves to the same scrutiny and standards they deem fit to impose on footballers.

Anyway, that's my rant. I aint got nothin more to say on this matter.
Pies2016
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 101 times

Post by Pies2016 »

schuey07 wrote:
PyreneesPie wrote:Apparently a 'woke" image/brand is the most important element of a football club these days, far more significant than standing by your players and letting those who bully them know, that it's not on.

I agree with you 100%. Disappointing what the club has done.
You dont think the AFL would be “ advising “ the club in the background ?

And as I have posed in an earlier question, just how many times should Degoeys antics ( to be fair, not crimes ) be allowed to distract the clubs focus on finals