#22 Steele Sidebottom

This is a Collingwood Bulletin Board - use this forum for general, Pies-related topics. For other footy topics, use Nick's Other AFL forum, and for non-footy sporting topics please use Nick's Sports Bar. For non-sporting topics please use the Victoria Park Tavern.

Moderator: bbmods

Pies4shaw
Has liked: 54 times
Been liked: 87 times

Post by Pies4shaw »

If he wants to. He's been running a wing, to considerable effect - so plainly he's still got the tank - when we all know he should be playing as a small forward. It's disappointing that Poulter went backwards this year because that's forced the Coach's hand. It's one of those things - even when he doesn't get as many possessions as he used to, he's running hard defensively and cleaning up.
piffdog
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 37 times

Post by piffdog »

I'm not sure Poulter was ever going to force Sidebottom out of the team - maybe just off the wing. Might depend a little bit on how our season fares too - hard to see them blooding more kids for the sake of development from this point.

I dont want to be too quick to change direction - he has been pretty quiet in a lot of games earlier in the year - but I tend to agree with you. If he wants to go again, his experience is pretty useful. Be great to see him get to 300 games.
It's never as good/nor bad as it seems...
Mr Miyagi
Has liked: 48 times
Been liked: 113 times

Post by Mr Miyagi »

It’ll be great for the team and the club, not just for Sidey himself. That’s worth him playing on next year I reckon.
Pies4shaw

Post by Pies4shaw »

piffdog wrote:I'm not sure Poulter was ever going to force Sidebottom out of the team - maybe just off the wing. Might depend a little bit on how our season fares too - hard to see them blooding more kids for the sake of development from this point.

I dont want to be too quick to change direction - he has been pretty quiet in a lot of games earlier in the year - but I tend to agree with you. If he wants to go again, his experience is pretty useful. Be great to see him get to 300 games.
Yes, I didn't think anyone would force Sidey from the team - I just hoped someone would take the endurance-running role off him before he has to have hip-replacement surgery.
Presti35
Has liked: 164 times
Been liked: 60 times

Post by Presti35 »

piffdog wrote:Well done on floating this thread back to the surface. FYI the 2008 Draft was:
1. Watts
2. Natinui
3. Stephen Hill
4. Hamish Hartlett
5. Michael Hurey
6. Chris Yarran
7. Rich
8. Vickery
9. Ziebell
10. Phil Davis
11. Steele
Just the one flag there?
A Goal Saved Is 2 Goals Earned!
qldmagpie67
Been liked: 78 times

Post by qldmagpie67 »

Pies4shaw wrote:If he wants to. He's been running a wing, to considerable effect - so plainly he's still got the tank - when we all know he should be playing as a small forward. It's disappointing that Poulter went backwards this year because that's forced the Coach's hand. It's one of those things - even when he doesn't get as many possessions as he used to, he's running hard defensively and cleaning up.
Mate not exactly correct
It won’t be his choice as such (to play on at Collingwood that is)
The club has already informed his manager if it was in a position to make a offer it would be on massively reduced terms
Our cap is tight as we all know and the club is planning for the next 3+ years which Sidey won’t be part of most likely
If JDG signs on again then with upgrades to several younger players there may be no cap room for him to stay on unless we trade out players
The club has committed big money to Grundy Moore and it’s offer to JDG would have eaten up a large chunk of remaining cap space
Cox is in a similar situation we won’t likely have cap room for him either
Roughhead retiring doesn't free much cap space and there is unlikely to be other retirements come years end
We may delist a few players but that will only free up cap space for upgrades to remaining players
If he decided to play on and wanted to reach the 300 game milestone it would appear unlikely as it stands today it would be in Collingwood colours
I’m not saying he doesn’t deserve to play on it’s a simple matter of the club is looking further into the future than his career will likely run and the money at the clubs disposal is either committed elsewhere or likely to be minimal available
He may well be happy to play on for massive discount on his current deal it mightn’t be about money at this stage then again as a new dad he may well want to earn whatever he can in his remaining time in the game thus having him look elsewhere for opportunities
It’s an unfortunate part of the business of football in today’s times we live
Pies4shaw

Post by Pies4shaw »

Presti35 wrote:
piffdog wrote:Well done on floating this thread back to the surface. FYI the 2008 Draft was:
1. Watts
2. Natinui
3. Stephen Hill
4. Hamish Hartlett
5. Michael Hurey
6. Chris Yarran
7. Rich
8. Vickery
9. Ziebell
10. Phil Davis
11. Steele
Just the one flag there?
Yes. He's the only one of the first 15 picks that year to play in a premiership team and one of only three of those first 15 picks to have ever been named an all-Australian. He has also played more AFL games than any other player selected in that draft.
Pies4shaw

Post by Pies4shaw »

piffdog
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 37 times

Post by piffdog »

Apparently quietly signed an extension to end of next year.

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/ ... b70caa3875
It's never as good/nor bad as it seems...
Pies2016
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 88 times

Post by Pies2016 »

Like a fine wine. Clutch goal kicking was sublime.
Gary Player “ the harder I practice, the luckier I get “
Jezza
Has liked: 128 times
Been liked: 191 times

Post by Jezza »

Brilliant last quarter goal.

Very calm and composed in the moment.
🏆 | 1902 | 1903 | 1910 | 1917 | 1919 | 1927 | 1928 | 1929 | 1930 | 1935 | 1936 | 1953 | 1958 | 1990 | 2010 | 2023 | 🏆
lazzadesilva
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 51 times

Post by lazzadesilva »

Pies4shaw wrote:
Presti35 wrote:
1. Watts
2. Natinui
3. Stephen Hill
4. Hamish Hartlett
5. Michael Hurey
6. Chris Yarran
7. Rich
8. Vickery
9. Ziebell
10. Phil Davis
11. Steele
Just the one flag there?

Yes. He's the only one of the first 15 picks that year to play in a premiership team and one of only three of those first 15 picks to have ever been named an all-Australian. He has also played more AFL games than any other player selected in that draft.
The best thing was that we got him one pick ahead of the bummers who wanted him badly. They were into him heaps before that draft.
Mr Miyagi

Wings of Steele — Sidebottom back where he plays best

Post by Mr Miyagi »

Good piece on the reinvigorated Sidebottom, who’s loving being back on the wing.

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/col ... 5bghf.html
Mr Miyagi

Post by Mr Miyagi »

Sheesh, not much love for Steele here
3rd degree

Post by 3rd degree »

Onya Steeley!
" Ohhh Banksy and out comes the Note Book".

www.facebook/the hybernators