#2 Jordan De Goey

This is a Collingwood Bulletin Board - use this forum for general, Pies-related topics. For other footy topics, use Nick's Other AFL forum, and for non-footy sporting topics please use Nick's Sports Bar. For non-sporting topics please use the Victoria Park Tavern.

Moderator: bbmods

Mossi
Been liked: 2 times

Post by Mossi »

McCreery job is ore of a stopper and link player if he gets the chance he can kick a goal but he isn't played deep enough or as a designated crummer. Ginnivan is that player. See how they set up. How valuable Beau is not based on kicking goals but how he contributes to the team in tackles shepherds and linking to the other forwards.
Pebbles Rocks

Post by Pebbles Rocks »

uuuuu..... The LoneSTAR wrote:
Please remind me, there's the New York incident and the recent Bali one, any others I'm forgetting over the 8 odd years?
He lost his license for drink driving and was also up on indecent assault charges from an alleged incident in about 2016 but were dropped last year just before it was meant to go to court.
That is my recollection anyway...
"You must be a parking ticket, cuz you got fine written all over you" Glen Quagmire
mattdally
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 2 times

Post by mattdally »

Hill's and McCreery's stats are on par except for tackling.
McCreery applies more tackles
think positive
Has liked: 240 times
Been liked: 91 times

Post by think positive »

Pebbles Rocks wrote:
Please remind me, there's the New York incident and the recent Bali one, any others I'm forgetting over the 8 odd years?
He lost his license for drink driving and was also up on indecent assault charges from an alleged incident in about 2016 but were dropped last year just before it was meant to go to court.
Pebbles Rocks wrote:
go to the other thread there is a list, one indiscretion a year
You cant fix stupid, turns out you cant quarantine it either!
stui magpie
Has liked: 88 times
Been liked: 95 times

Post by stui magpie »

derkd wrote:Look I am sure he will be better for the run last week.

I know Kane Cornes has made this point, and it is valid one, for a player (supposedly) seeking a 800k+ contract he has never had even a top 10 b&f year. Granted injuries in some years. I have always felt he is a two quater player....yes he can tear a game apart in two quaters...but if he was a four quater player...he would be Dusty Martin esk....maybe he never will be.

Look I hope Degoey re discovers his love for the game.. I just feel it is one of those situations that both the club and the player need a fresh start.
He finished 4th last year behind Crisp, Maynard and Pendlebury.
https://www.collingwoodfc.com.au/news/1 ... and-trophy

Cornes is a flog.

Also, Martin has won more Norm Smiths (3) than B&F,s (2) He won the B&F in 2017 when he also won everything else except the Coleman and Rising Star.
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
inxs88
Been liked: 4 times

Post by inxs88 »

Pebbles Rocks wrote:
Lied about breaking hand via a door or dog?
I love the Pies, hate Carlscum
inxs88

Post by inxs88 »

Jordan doesn't have the moral compass or optics to feel like he owes the club. Don't discount the fact that the Pies may simply put forward a "Goddard deal" to him.

(Goddard deal = paltry offer with low $ and reduced years that says we don't want you" from St Kilda)

For example it might be $500,000 X 2 years. ANY CLUB that comes to him with 4 years+ with $800,000+ he shall walk. He shall then come out and say "yeah I'm stale and need a fresh change". He is our Jake Stringer. Flawed, unfit but capable of burst performances.
stui magpie
Has liked: 88 times
Been liked: 95 times

Post by stui magpie »

1 poor game doesn't make him unfit, in fact I read a quote from Fly yesterday that Jordy was in the Gym doing extra's, boxing and cycling while he's limited with the quad.
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
schuey07

Post by schuey07 »

stui magpie wrote:1 poor game doesn't make him unfit, in fact I read a quote from Fly yesterday that Jordy was in the Gym doing extra's, boxing and cycling while he's limited with the quad.
Haters gonna hate.
eddiesmith
Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 21 times

Post by eddiesmith »

If you offered him a contract based on his ability and performances against other players on the list and their current contracts, he’d be worth 7 years at 1.5 million a year.

Now that’s ridiculous and he’s clearly not, but compared to what we’re paying far inferior players he is.

More realistic is is 3-5 years at 800k. He’ll get that easily and probably a bit more elsewhere, but we need to offer him what is fair. Some absolutely laughable suggestions earlier that would end the negotiations in 5 seconds with JDG thinking Collingwood doesn’t want me.
Cam
Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 22 times

Post by Cam »

You seem to be more accountant than man, ES, like Vader was more machine.
Get back on top.
piffdog
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 51 times

Post by piffdog »

eddiesmith wrote:…with JDG thinking Collingwood doesn’t want me.
This may well be the case.

Hard to imagine they re-table a better contract than they had previously put to him (rumoured to be 2 @ $800 and an option for another 2).
It's never as good/nor bad as it seems...
pietillidie
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 28 times

Post by pietillidie »

Eddie, you might imagine you're being logical when it comes to player valuation, but there is a wider context here.

E.g., Grundy's contract, which you won't let go, is now a sunk cost. Overweight or otherwise, it happened, and it happened within a context whereby he was Buckley's best midfielder. That is, the lynchpin of a game plan that Buckley (and McGuire by inextricable association) doubled- and triple-downed on, with the successes of 2018 for both game plan and player still fresh in their heads.

That's the context of relevance here. Few of us were ever as convinced as they were, but it's done now.

Even so, bear in mind there will never ever be a logical cost comparator in such a limited market where every decision is so contingent.

In some contexts people are willing to pay overs because they don't want to upset team balance, or agent x's network effects matter beyond player y, or cronyism of some kind impacts proceedings, or the negotiation falls at a crucial moment and is impacting on-field performance, and so on. And as discussed, in this context Grundy was Buckley's gun midfielder and was carrying an underwhelming game plan on his own back.

Then, there's the law of diminishing returns, whereby that last 20% costs you 80% of the contract. Not to mention there's always the huge risk of mis-valuing such a fragile thing as human psychology, knees, ankles and shoulders at any one point in time given what can happen tomorrow.

Our recruitment was lousy, as was our club culture and game plan. We clearly had to pay overs to keep players at what was a shitehole no-go destination of a club.

Now, if that was the extent of your point, fine, if irritating to see it repeated every other post. But in fact your calculations, which are also repeated ad nauseum, are naive as well.

And don't forget, the current context of relevance is what McRae does with Grundy, who is still a player of immense ability, which is yet to be seen.
Last edited by pietillidie on Sun Jul 10, 2022 6:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.
In the end the rain comes down, washes clean the streets of a blue sky town.
Help Nick's: http://www.magpies.net/nick/bb/fundraising.htm
inxs88

Post by inxs88 »

piffdog wrote:
eddiesmith wrote:…with JDG thinking Collingwood doesn’t want me.
This may well be the case.

Hard to imagine they re-table a better contract than they had previously put to him (rumoured to be 2 @ $800 and an option for another 2).
That/s the point in one.
pietillidie
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 28 times

Post by pietillidie »

stui magpie wrote:1 poor game doesn't make him unfit, in fact I read a quote from Fly yesterday that Jordy was in the Gym doing extra's, boxing and cycling while he's limited with the quad.
Not to mention that a focus on physical fitness can be as good a strategy as any for getting people through tough times.
In the end the rain comes down, washes clean the streets of a blue sky town.
Help Nick's: http://www.magpies.net/nick/bb/fundraising.htm