#2 Jordan De Goey

This is a Collingwood Bulletin Board - use this forum for general, Pies-related topics. For other footy topics, use Nick's Other AFL forum, and for non-footy sporting topics please use Nick's Sports Bar. For non-sporting topics please use the Victoria Park Tavern.

Moderator: bbmods

stui magpie
Has liked: 88 times
Been liked: 95 times

Post by stui magpie »

^
exercise is like meditation, but better.
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
eddiesmith
Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 21 times

Post by eddiesmith »

pietillidie wrote:Eddie, you might imagine you're being logical when it comes to player valuation, but there is a wider context here.

E.g., Grundy's contract, which you won't let go, is now a sunk cost. Overweight or otherwise, it happened, and it happened within a context whereby he was Buckley's best midfielder. That is, the lynchpin of a game plan that Buckley (and McGuire by inextricable association) doubled- and triple-downed on, with the successes of 2018 for both game plan and player still fresh in their heads.

That's the context of relevance here. Few of us were ever as convinced as they were, but it's done now.

Even so, bear in mind there will never ever be a logical cost comparator in such a limited market where every decision is so contingent.

In some contexts people are willing to pay overs because they don't want to upset team balance, or agent x's network effects matter beyond player y, or cronyism of some kind impacts proceedings, or the negotiation falls at a crucial moment and is impacting on-field performance, and so on. And as discussed, in this context Grundy was Buckley's gun midfielder and was carrying an underwhelming game plan on his own back.

Then, there's the law of diminishing returns, whereby that last 20% costs you 80% of the contract. Not to mention there's always the huge risk of mis-valuing such a fragile thing as human psychology, knees, ankles and shoulders at any one point in time given what can happen tomorrow.

Our recruitment was lousy, as was our club culture and game plan. We clearly had to pay overs to keep players at what was a shitehole no-go destination of a club.

Now, if that was the extent of your point, fine, if irritating to see it repeated every other post. But in fact your calculations, which are also repeated ad nauseum, are naive as well.

And don't forget, the current context of relevance is what McRae does with Grundy, who is still a player of immense ability, which is yet to be seen.
The last 3 years suggest he got rewarded for a golden patch of form that will never be repeated and was a massive **** up by the entire list management team.

Let's not also forget they signed him the first week of January, it's not even like they were bent over a barrel and had to make the call, they caved on Day 1 to completely ridiculous demands.

But we must also realise that Grundy asked for that much money, maybe even more allegedly offered elsewhere, so he needs to be held accountable for not living up to his end of the bargain. Yet in what was the last year of his previous contract and now 2 years into the new contract, he has yet to show any form whatsoever, if he was up for contract this year he'd be lucky to even get 500k a year.

Then again if people think 500k for a genuine match winner in JDG is fair because he's played up off the field, then 500k may actually be overs for Grundy on his last 3 years.

I bring up the relevance because if you're in the shoes of a player like JDG who is a genuine match winner and he sees what his lesser team mates are being paid then he would be rightly upset if he was offered some of the paltry amounts being thrown around. If he got the same as Darcy Moore then that would probably be fair taking into account its not the same incompetent management that paid overs for Grundy.
RudeBoy
Been liked: 90 times

Post by RudeBoy »

If I was JDG and I saw what Crisp, Maynard, Adams and Lipinski were getting paid, I'd happily accept less than my current contract.

What none of us know, is the bond level he has with his teammates. I want to retain Jordy as he is a proven match winner, but he is certainly not irreplaceable if his wage demands are too high. Now that Wright is in charge, our club will no longer allow itself to be bent over like Grundy's manager did to us a few years back.
pietillidie
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 28 times

Post by pietillidie »

eddiesmith wrote:
pietillidie wrote:Eddie, you might imagine you're being logical when it comes to player valuation, but there is a wider context here.

E.g., Grundy's contract, which you won't let go, is now a sunk cost. Overweight or otherwise, it happened, and it happened within a context whereby he was Buckley's best midfielder. That is, the lynchpin of a game plan that Buckley (and McGuire by inextricable association) doubled- and triple-downed on, with the successes of 2018 for both game plan and player still fresh in their heads.

That's the context of relevance here. Few of us were ever as convinced as they were, but it's done now.

Even so, bear in mind there will never ever be a logical cost comparator in such a limited market where every decision is so contingent.

In some contexts people are willing to pay overs because they don't want to upset team balance, or agent x's network effects matter beyond player y, or cronyism of some kind impacts proceedings, or the negotiation falls at a crucial moment and is impacting on-field performance, and so on. And as discussed, in this context Grundy was Buckley's gun midfielder and was carrying an underwhelming game plan on his own back.

Then, there's the law of diminishing returns, whereby that last 20% costs you 80% of the contract. Not to mention there's always the huge risk of mis-valuing such a fragile thing as human psychology, knees, ankles and shoulders at any one point in time given what can happen tomorrow.

Our recruitment was lousy, as was our club culture and game plan. We clearly had to pay overs to keep players at what was a shitehole no-go destination of a club.

Now, if that was the extent of your point, fine, if irritating to see it repeated every other post. But in fact your calculations, which are also repeated ad nauseum, are naive as well.

And don't forget, the current context of relevance is what McRae does with Grundy, who is still a player of immense ability, which is yet to be seen.
The last 3 years suggest he got rewarded for a golden patch of form that will never be repeated and was a massive **** up by the entire list management team.

Let's not also forget they signed him the first week of January, it's not even like they were bent over a barrel and had to make the call, they caved on Day 1 to completely ridiculous demands.

But we must also realise that Grundy asked for that much money, maybe even more allegedly offered elsewhere, so he needs to be held accountable for not living up to his end of the bargain. Yet in what was the last year of his previous contract and now 2 years into the new contract, he has yet to show any form whatsoever, if he was up for contract this year he'd be lucky to even get 500k a year.
It's called a sunk cost, as explained to you a million times yet still it goes through to the keeper.

And if you have the slightest capacity to listen, I for one have always proposed that Grundy was buried under the weight of a crap game plan and hopeless midfield. The bloke carried an entire team for far too long. Now that's a potential reason for mental and physical exhaustion right there, despite your desperate efforts to find a villain.

You can't empathise with Jordy, as many of us do, and then in the same breath crap on day and night about another bloke you know absolutely nothing about who carried an underwhelming team and for all you know has his reasons, and who most definitely has zero responsibility for seasoned business and football people at the club putting pen to paper.

And if you're bitter about the asymmetry of earnings out there in the world, then welcome to the planet that most people inhabit. I'm not saying it's a good thing, but it's certainly not a good thing to turn that world problem into a moral crusade against one bloke. Mind you, anyone with half an ounce of experience also knows those who bleat the loudest about unfair earnings never ever live by their own word when it happens to fall in their favour, if indeed they ever get good enough at anything to face that test.
In the end the rain comes down, washes clean the streets of a blue sky town.
Help Nick's: http://www.magpies.net/nick/bb/fundraising.htm
eddiesmith
Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 21 times

Post by eddiesmith »

Lol, Grundy carries zero weight for demanding a million dollars a season and then failing to perform?

Yeah, it’s clearly a waste of time discussing it with someone whose head is so far up Grundy’s ass.
think positive
Has liked: 240 times
Been liked: 91 times

Post by think positive »

Wow that’s uncalled for
You cant fix stupid, turns out you cant quarantine it either!
pietillidie
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 28 times

Post by pietillidie »

eddiesmith wrote:Lol, Grundy carries zero weight for demanding a million dollars a season and then failing to perform?

Yeah, it’s clearly a waste of time discussing it with someone whose head is so far up Grundy’s ass.
Are you really sitting there thinking: "This bloke is purposely underperforming to take us for a ride! Someone, anyone, punish the ba$tard! I don't care if it's to detriment of the team! McRae, do something, or is your head up his ar$se, too?"

That's a lot of irrational anger directed at a bloke you don't know from Job that needs a more productive outlet, Eddie.
In the end the rain comes down, washes clean the streets of a blue sky town.
Help Nick's: http://www.magpies.net/nick/bb/fundraising.htm
swoop42
Been liked: 3 times

Post by swoop42 »

https://twitter.com/dpqec/status/154557 ... _&ref_url=

Still waiting for the media investigation against Jon Ralph and the company he chooses to keep.

Who is this Mark Allan? A pseudonym for former professional golfer now 3AW host Mark Allen?

And what of Tom who he sent it to? Tom Elliott? Tom Morris?

Honestly, you don't think De Goey wouldn't have been hung, drawn and quartered by now if he inadvertently tweeted a screen shot of private messages authored by one of his acquaintances?
He's mad. He's bad. He's MaynHARD!
stui magpie
Has liked: 88 times
Been liked: 95 times

Post by stui magpie »

Story seems to be that Ralph was live sharing a video stream and the notification popped up, someone else was quick enough to screen shot it.

Ralph didn't do anything wrong.
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
swoop42
Been liked: 3 times

Post by swoop42 »

stui magpie wrote:Story seems to be that Ralph was live sharing a video stream and the notification popped up, someone else was quick enough to screen shot it.

Ralph didn't do anything wrong.
The notification was supposedly from a private WhatsApp group and yet he's maintaining he didn't know the person?

Is that really true or is he covering for a mate in the media who unlike Ralph would be in trouble from his employer because of his now public comments?

That is the real question that needs answering because it goes to the heart of his credibility after admonishing other public figures like footballers for matters that could or should have remained private also.
He's mad. He's bad. He's MaynHARD!
Piesnchess
Has liked: 202 times
Been liked: 89 times

Post by Piesnchess »

RudeBoy wrote:If I was JDG and I saw what Crisp, Maynard, Adams and Lipinski were getting paid, I'd happily accept less than my current contract.

What none of us know, is the bond level he has with his teammates. I want to retain Jordy as he is a proven match winner, but he is certainly not irreplaceable if his wage demands are too high. Now that Wright is in charge, our club will no longer allow itself to be bent over like Grundy's manager did to us a few years back.

Saw that shit stirring little worm Sam Mc Clure on footy classified, trying his hardest to pour petrol on this, making it a whole lot worse for Jordon and the club. He just spouts innuendo and rumour, says the club has " told Jordon he can look elsewhere if he likes, and his management have begun shopping him around, he may end up at St Kilda." Then McClure no bloody clue, added "What a distraction this is for Collingwood, as they potentially could make a Preliminary final. " What a load of codswallp. There is NO way the club would have told Jordon that, or his management, no way, not at this stage, as if the club would tell him that, as we approach finals, and we need him there to go far in those finals, the club would not risk that, and as if Jordon would want the saints, there window is closing, was it really ever open ? He knows the Magpies are on the verge of something really special, now. And i bet Fly was furious hearing that shit stirring from this McClure jerk, all totally unfounded innuendo. He even tried to rope Grundy into his crap, re his contract, raised that point he may leave, which the other panellists quickly shot down, said Grundy is really happy at the Magpies, why leave ?? I really cant stand footy journos like this McClure, just a shit stirrer with not an ounce of proof to back up his outlandish claims, doing his best to de rail our excellent season. I hope the club comes out and makes a strong statement about this and call his rumours utter bullshit it is. :o :x
Poverty exists not because we cannot feed the poor, but because we cannot satisfy the rich.

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
Pies4shaw
Has liked: 103 times
Been liked: 120 times

Post by Pies4shaw »

^ Why would you think any of that is surprising? The Club pulled his contract offer - this is not something you do when you are going to double down and keep a player, come what may. I'm not expressing any view one way or the other but in light of the publicly available information, Sam's comments are scarcely controversial.
inxs88
Been liked: 4 times

Post by inxs88 »

I remember the stark Ruck days when we couldn't win a tap out pre Damian Monkhorst and when Fraser was perennially injured and we endured Chris Bryan and Guy Richards. If it's a decision between Brodie Grundy and Jordan DeGoey, I'd back the know vs the unknown and pick Grundy every time. With Cameron's tap work to our mid-field flawed, a renewed and spirited Grundy would be a welcome in.
I love the Pies, hate Carlscum
uuuuu..... The LoneSTAR

Post by uuuuu..... The LoneSTAR »

swoop42 wrote:https://twitter.com/dpqec/status/1545578435783041024?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1545578435783041024%7Ctwgr%5E%7Ctwcon%5Es1_&ref_url=

Still waiting for the media investigation against Jon Ralph and the company he chooses to keep.

Who is this Mark Allan? A pseudonym for former professional golfer now 3AW host Mark Allen?

And what of Tom who he sent it to? Tom Elliott? Tom Morris?

Honestly, you don't think De Goey wouldn't have been hung, drawn and quartered by now if he inadvertently tweeted a screen shot of private messages authored by one of his acquaintances?
Maybe JDG sent it?
Piesnchess
Has liked: 202 times
Been liked: 89 times

Post by Piesnchess »

Pies4shaw wrote:^ Why would you think any of that is surprising? The Club pulled his contract offer - this is not something you do when you are going to double down and keep a player, come what may. I'm not expressing any view one way or the other but in light of the publicly available information, Sam's comments are scarcely controversial.

True, but he media basically forced the clubs hand back then, all that massive hype and spin that came out daily. As for this little obnoxious prick he had NO evidence to back up his claims, just rumour and innuendo, his stock in trade, many times before too. :o
Poverty exists not because we cannot feed the poor, but because we cannot satisfy the rich.

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.