Trade Targets ~ Free Agency & MSD player movements

This is a Collingwood Bulletin Board - use this forum for general, Pies-related topics. For other footy topics, use Nick's Other AFL forum, and for non-footy sporting topics please use Nick's Sports Bar. For non-sporting topics please use the Victoria Park Tavern.

Moderator: bbmods

scoobydoo
Been liked: 5 times

Post by scoobydoo »

Ronnie McKeowns boots wrote:^
Did we POACH crisp? Mayne? Greenwood? Don’t think so
GWS happy for Adams to go as was Geelong ( varcoe).
So did we also poach Ball Jolly Brown & Malthouse to win 2010?
scoobydoo
Been liked: 5 times

Post by scoobydoo »

If you hate Bucks it’s poaching, hey
dalyc
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 12 times

Post by dalyc »

Anybody see any gold hiding in this lot?

https://www.afl.com.au/news/802756
Four legged animals good, two legged animals better
Presti35
Has liked: 164 times
Been liked: 62 times

Post by Presti35 »

Players of interest for me:

Tim Taranto (GWS, Gun Midfielder)
Ben McKay (North, Full Back)
Harry Himmelberg (GWS, Full Forward (and now back))
Jacob Hopper (GWS, Inside Mid)
Todd Marshall (Port, Full Forward)
Griffin Logue (Freo, Key Defender)
Izak Rankine (GCS, Small Forward)
Ed Richards (Dogs, Small Defender) Yeah, I know.
Cameron Zurhaar (North, Medium Forward)
Fischer McAsey (Adelaide, Key Defender) Injury concerns.
Ian "Bobby" Hill (GWS, Small Forward)
Darcy Fogarty (Adelaide, Full Forward)
Nick Larkey (North, Full Forward)
Riley O'Brien (Adelaide, Ruck) Only if we think we still need a ruck if Grundy goes.

If the rumors of delisting come true:
Alex Witherden (WCE, Medium Defender)

Hear me out:
Aaron Francis (Essendon, Key Forward/Back).
Isn't enjoying it at Essendon. Is from S.A. and could be wanting to go home, but I think the change of clubs is def on the cards. He is out of contract this year. He can mark, he can jump high, is still young, is able to play forward (and kick a goal), is able to play in defence, and I think with Howe now 32, is a good replacement for that role. (Dont get me wrong, he wont be as good as Howe, but he can come in to take on that role. Essendon have not used him correctly).

Michael Hurley (Essendon, Key Defender).
Just kidding.

These names have come up in recent trade talks:
Jamarra Ugle-Hagan (Is he really the next Buddy?)
Jaidyn Stephenson (I'd need some convincing, but if the 2018 version came back, then sure. Imagine he and Ginnivan together)
Lance Franklin (better option than McStay iyam)
Tom Mitchell (I think this is the wrong path)
Paddy Ryder (injuries have caught up with him now)
Paddy Dow (Next Will Brodie? Prob not)
Rory Lobb (Maybe, not first option though)
Dan McStay (Only because he's a free agent)
Sam Weideman (Starting to think he doesnt have it)

We have a lot to work with, and a lot to play out RE: De Goey/compo pick.

But if we lose JDG and Grundy, we must bring guns back in return, via draft or trade. The Cameron/Cox combo isnt going to work forever and JDG is a hard to replace tallant.
A Goal Saved Is 2 Goals Earned!
Presti35
Has liked: 164 times
Been liked: 62 times

Post by Presti35 »

dalyc wrote:Anybody see any gold hiding in this lot?

Tom Phillips eh?
A Goal Saved Is 2 Goals Earned!
RudeBoy
Been liked: 73 times

Post by RudeBoy »

Is there any way we could entice Toby Greene to come to us?

He's my favourite non-Collingwood player.
The Black and White Lion
Has liked: 180 times
Been liked: 65 times

Post by The Black and White Lion »

dalyc wrote:Anybody see any gold hiding in this lot?

Sydney Stack could be electric and offers something quite a bit different to our group.

Tom Highmore was solid last year and is taller than most of our defenders. Strong body and good mark overhead. Thought the saints were missing a trick not playing him so much this year
Ed Allen kicked our last goal of the year at the 58minute mark
WhyPhilWhy?
Has liked: 24 times
Been liked: 25 times

Post by WhyPhilWhy? »

RudeBoy wrote:Is there any way we could entice Toby Greene to come to us?

He's my favourite non-Collingwood player.
To take the heat off Ginni? :D

Could be a swap for De Goey, if things fall that way.
mattdally
Has liked: 1 time

Post by mattdally »

With one or both of Grundy and DeGoey highly unlikely to be there next season we need to bring in the right replacements.

Taranto and Bruhn have been linked - Taranto straight swap for Brodie. See if we can get Bruhn via draft picks. Not interested in Bradley Hill, we already have Ginnivan and McCreery who are both better than him.

If we lose DeGoey then I'd be inclined to look at Rhys Matheson from Lions. He is gettable and a clearance bull.

McStay is coming so that will help out Checkers in the forward line. We will continue to develop Begg as the back up ruck to Cameron.
Pep

Post by Pep »

^^^

If JDG and Grundy do leave/get traded, then we need to come out with what the bummers got in the 2020 when they lost Saad and Daniher, 2 top 10 picks at least... to either on-trade for ready made players/replacements, or to draft another gun mid and best KPP prospect.

What I think we need is Full back (could be McStay) and eventual Howe replacement (maybe Dean), and gun mid. So maybe our defence is already sorted?

I think our forward line looks better with Kruger, Henry and Johnson in the line up, they look to be pretty dynamic and have an eye for goal.

We don't know how this trade season plays out, but I think the future is bright either way.
Boot
Been liked: 3 times

Post by Boot »

Pep wrote:^^^

If JDG and Grundy do leave/get traded, then we need to come out with what the bummers got in the 2020 when they lost Saad and Daniher, 2 top 10 picks at least... to either on-trade for ready made players/replacements, or to draft another gun mid and best KPP prospect.

What I think we need is Full back (could be McStay) and eventual Howe replacement (maybe Dean), and gun mid. So maybe our defence is already sorted?

I think our forward line looks better with Kruger, Henry and Johnson in the line up, they look to be pretty dynamic and have an eye for goal.

We don't know how this trade season plays out, but I think the future is bright either way.
Unfortunately, we stand to get nothing for DeGoey if he leaves and we recruit McStay. :(
Collingwood Domination. Envy of the Nation!
Pies2016
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 88 times

Post by Pies2016 »

Boot wrote:^
Unless Brisbane agrees to trade McStay rather than accept their compo pick.
Their incentive to trade is their need for a ridiculous amount of points required to secure TWO very promising F / S prospects (Ashcroft and Fletcher)
We may yet offer our first two (of three) third rounders for McStay and as long as that would exceed the points gained for the McStay compo pick, then it’s in Lions best interest to trade for more points than take the compo pick. It all depends on what the AFL come up with for the McStay compo pick (best guess is likely a late second rounder based on contract and Lions ladder finish) You would certainly prefer to give up a couple early third rounders if it meant you received one DeGoey compo pick in the mid-teens. This trade period will be a can of worms. Let’s hope we’re on the winning end.
Boogie Knights

Post by Boogie Knights »

Isn't deGoey a restricted free agent? We could 'threaten' to match an offer to force a trade... it's worked for a few other teams... GWS/Cameron/Geelong...

You'd be able to get something pretty reasonable back I'd imagine - look at a young player and 1st pick...
Pies2016
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 88 times

Post by Pies2016 »

Boogie Knights wrote:Isn't deGoey a restricted free agent? We could 'threaten' to match an offer to force a trade... it's worked for a few other teams... GWS/Cameron/Geelong...

You'd be able to get something pretty reasonable back I'd imagine - look at a young player and 1st pick...
It could happen but the Cameron scenario was pretty unique in that both clubs wanted him so badly, they were both prepared to pay a premium for his signature. Ultimately, the cats sold the farm to acquire Cameron as a trade and in return GWS would have pulled the matching bid. At least it stuffed up the Cats drafting strategy for a couple years. The best chance for a club to get a return on an upcoming free agent, is to entertain offers on that player one year before free agency kicks in. In that situation, at least the parent club has an amount of control regarding a fair outcome ( ie Dangerfield ) It would also need the player to tell the club, no matter what you do, I don’t plan on being here in 12 months time.
My take is, whatever Collingwood offer DeGoey ( and that’s assuming they want him ) it still wouldn’t take much for a rival club to beat it. If DeGoey decides to stay for less, then he will earn a few credits along the way.
The thing with free agency is that this is designed to be the players best opportunity for them to maximise their earning capacity. As “ unfair “ as it might sound, free agency isn’t about clubs being the winner when a player moves on, it’s about the player being afforded an opportunity to set himself up financially for the latter part of his career and life after footy.
Prexm68

Post by Prexm68 »

If Brisbane get Band 2 compo we have no chance of getting a trade with them done. If they get Band 3 we may be a chance. A 3 million contract is more likely to get Band 2 [end of first round] which they would take and then trade for more points with GC who have much better picks than us to trade.