Trade Targets ~ Free Agency & MSD player movements

This is a Collingwood Bulletin Board - use this forum for general, Pies-related topics. For other footy topics, use Nick's Other AFL forum, and for non-footy sporting topics please use Nick's Sports Bar. For non-sporting topics please use the Victoria Park Tavern.

Moderator: bbmods

Pies2016
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 88 times

Post by Pies2016 »

Prexm68 wrote:If Brisbane get Band 2 compo we have no chance of getting a trade with them done. If they get Band 3 we may be a chance. A 3 million contract is more likely to get Band 2 [end of first round] which they would take and then trade for more points with GC who have much better picks than us to trade.
Obviously any compo pick is as much about the contract as it is ladder position. Hawks only got # 19 for Franklin, albeit they were winning flags but his contract was huge. The compo pick is a wait and see.
Lions may swap picks with G C but it’s about points accumulation, not how many early picks a club has. Clubs won’t likely want to give up early picks but handing over late ones is a much easier decision. We have the perfect PART solution for the Lions in that we have three third rounders and they will all likely be around the middle of that round. Lions have two F / S prospects and Ashcroft is likely the number one pick. Fletcher may be in the twenties, so that’s around 3,500 points for both after discount. They will need to deal with whoever is prepared to entertain them, which of course could include any of the Suns later picks also. The Lions are going to need a bit of help from other clubs to get what they want at the draft.
Prexm68

Post by Prexm68 »

Unfortunately for us GC have as it stands 5 picks between 25-50. Any three of those which they would give up is better than what we can offer for more points.. I was reading an AFL journo talking about it that is almost certain this is how it will work out. If Brisbane only get a Band 3 compo pick we are a good chance which is our only hope.
Pies2016
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 88 times

Post by Pies2016 »

^ ^ ^
I get it, so I will leave the maths for you to ponder.
ASSUMING Ashcroft and Fletcher agree to take up their F / S options ( they haven’t done this yet and if Ashcroft doesn’t, then all bets are off anyway ) Ashcroft is also currently living in Melbourne, so he still has a decision to make. He is all but a certainty to be called out at # 1 and he is super talent ( 2400 points required after discount )
Fletcher, fresh off a BOG for the Allies in the recent U18 Championships is likely headed for a pick in the early / mid twenties ( hard to pinpoint this one right now ??) Best guess around 1000 points required and that also gives the Lions insurance if he’s called a little earlier. Total required is around 3,400 points for both. I’d suggest no club has ever required that many points to satisfy their F / S draft needs in the one draft.
Even if Suns were to offer up ALL THEIR FIVE PICKS between 25 and 50, at a total of around 2600 points, there is still a bit of work to be done. G C S looms as a major part of the points puzzle but alone, it’s not enough if the Lions want to secure both but just enough for Ashcroft alone. The problem is all the journos have been focussing on Ashcrofts role in the need for points but Jaspa Fletchers recent form has changed the landscape for the Lions very quickly and they will need more than just enough for Ashcroft.
There are so many variables for Collingwood in this upcoming trade period, it’s an ever evolving can of worms. If DeGoey was to stay at Collingwood, then anything that involves McStay arriving as a free agent suddenly looks very different to the above. We wouldn’t even have a need to entertain the lions unless we saw it as a major win for us. We can all put forward our thoughts but until we have clarity on DeGoeys and Grundys futures, our trade period is almost impossible to discuss with any surety.
Gary Player “ the harder I practice, the luckier I get “
Prexm68

Post by Prexm68 »

They would have more points as they have their own picks as well under that scenario. Getting the picks down in numbers is another task for them. We had 6 for Nick last year , I think that would be the maximum for them as well. They really would want McStay being a FA if they get the Band 2 compo and if JDG goes as a FA a lot of Pies supporters won’t.
Piesnchess
Has liked: 178 times
Been liked: 72 times

Post by Piesnchess »

Ok, these smart arse managers are trying to poach two of our top players, how bout we do some poaching ourselves. I see the Dees Weideman is having a great game tonight, how about we go for him, bring him home where he belongs, where he should be. ? Hes a pretty handy forward, and often misses a game with Melb, hed do well with us. I bet his Grandad was shattered when he went to those toffs, he absolutely detested Melbourne with a passion, hated the bastards, lets bring him "home" where he belongs.
Poverty exists not because we cannot feed the poor, but because we cannot satisfy the rich.

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
SwansWay

Post by SwansWay »

Piesnchess wrote:Ok, these smart arse managers are trying to poach two of our top players, how bout we do some poaching ourselves. I see the Dees Weideman is having a great game tonight, how about we go for him, bring him home where he belongs, where he should be. ? Hes a pretty handy forward, and often misses a game with Melb, hed do well with us. I bet his Grandad was shattered when he went to those toffs, he absolutely detested Melbourne with a passion, hated the bastards, lets bring him "home" where he belongs.
Not sure I really rate him. He can't seem to cement his place in a Melbourne side with no forwards in it.
lazzadesilva
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 51 times

Post by lazzadesilva »

Piesnchess wrote:Ok, these smart arse managers are trying to poach two of our top players, how bout we do some poaching ourselves. I see the Dees Weideman is having a great game tonight, how about we go for him, bring him home where he belongs, where he should be. ? Hes a pretty handy forward, and often misses a game with Melb, hed do well with us. I bet his Grandad was shattered when he went to those toffs, he absolutely detested Melbourne with a passion, hated the bastards, lets bring him "home" where he belongs.
Could not agree with you more Piesnchess. Perfect scenario. A change of environment and coach will lift his confidence. Make it happen ‘Pies!
I term the current Collingwood attack based strategy “Unceasing Waves” like on a stormy and windy day with rough seas. A Perfect Storm ☔️
Piesnchess

Post by Piesnchess »

lazzadesilva wrote:^

Sure worked for Casboult, when he went to the Suns, and its worked for many other players too, a new home. 8)
Poverty exists not because we cannot feed the poor, but because we cannot satisfy the rich.

RudeBoy
Been liked: 73 times

Post by RudeBoy »

Piesnchess wrote:Sure worked for Casboult, when he went to the Suns, and its worked for many other players too, a new home. 8)
It's worked for Lipinski! 8)
Jezza
Has liked: 128 times
Been liked: 191 times

Post by Jezza »

SwansWay wrote:Not sure I really rate him. He can't seem to cement his place in a Melbourne side with no forwards in it.
I agree, I'm not a fan either.

Plus, there's no sentimentality as Weideman grew up barracking for Richmond anyway. He has no affinity to the club in a way his grandfather did.
🏆 | 1902 | 1903 | 1910 | 1917 | 1919 | 1927 | 1928 | 1929 | 1930 | 1935 | 1936 | 1953 | 1958 | 1990 | 2010 | 2023 | 🏆
swoop42
Been liked: 3 times

Post by swoop42 »

The only thing I can think of is that we must see McStay as a viable key defensive option alongside his usual forward role thus our interest.

Interestingly McStay's first 3 seasons at Brisbane coincided with Leppitsch as senior coach so you wonder if his opinion of him is part of our decision making.
He's mad. He's bad. He's MaynHARD!
Piesnchess

Post by Piesnchess »

Jezza wrote:
SwansWay wrote:Not sure I really rate him. He can't seem to cement his place in a Melbourne side with no forwards in it.
I agree, I'm not a fan either.

Plus, there's no sentimentality as Weideman grew up barracking for Richmond anyway. He has no affinity to the club in a way his grandfather did.

Get him away from the toffy Deeees snowbound influence, to the Magpies, and he would soon learn his Grandad is revered at our Club, they would soon put him right. Peter McKenna was a one eyed Dons fan, hated Collingwood, but once he came to the club, he said, that all changed overnight. Weideman cannot get games, at the Dees, cos sideshow Bob, Ben Brown, takes his spot, he was injured last night, so the Weed got the gig. He would fit in beautifully with us, Mihochek is no spring chicken now, we need more forward options. :o :idea:

Jezza
Has liked: 128 times
Been liked: 191 times

Post by Jezza »

^ Mihocek needs help, but I don't see Weideman as the solution.
🏆 | 1902 | 1903 | 1910 | 1917 | 1919 | 1927 | 1928 | 1929 | 1930 | 1935 | 1936 | 1953 | 1958 | 1990 | 2010 | 2023 | 🏆
Piesnchess

Post by Piesnchess »

^ He would be much better than what we have now, which is sweet bugger all, he can take a good grab, and is a pretty decent kick for goal, he just never really has got his chance at the Deees. Be worth a punt, I reckon.

Return of the baldfacts

Post by Return of the baldfacts »

Move on . Prefer Kreuger to the weed and with Ash Johnson, really not sure why the alleged interest in McStay.