Trade Targets ~ Free Agency & MSD player movements

This is a Collingwood Bulletin Board - use this forum for general, Pies-related topics. For other footy topics, use Nick's Other AFL forum, and for non-footy sporting topics please use Nick's Sports Bar. For non-sporting topics please use the Victoria Park Tavern.

Moderator: bbmods

stui magpie
Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 74 times

Post by stui magpie »

5:11pm wrote:Clearances are are problem.
Looks like as Degoey will leave… that’s why Wright is into Taranto.
If Taranto is available, why wouldn't we be into him regardless of Jordy?

Just because we're allegedly interested doesn't mean anything about Jody going or staying.
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
5:11pm
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 4 times

Post by 5:11pm »

stui magpie wrote:
5:11pm wrote:Clearances are are problem.
Looks like as Degoey will leave… that’s why Wright is into Taranto.
If Taranto is available, why wouldn't we be into him regardless of Jordy?

Just because we're allegedly interested doesn't mean anything about Jody going or staying.
Salary cap is the answer you’re looking for.

We can’t afford Tarranto if Degoey stays (however unlikely).
Presti35
Has liked: 164 times
Been liked: 62 times

Post by Presti35 »

PORT Adelaide is among the clubs interested in Western Bulldogs midfielder Josh Dunkley, who has been offered a long-term deal by the Dogs.

Dunkley's future remains unclear as the end of his current deal nears, two years after he requested a trade to Essendon at the end of the 2020 season that did not go through.

The Power are understood to be among the rivals pursuing Dunkley, whose partner Tippah Dwan is a netballer at the Adelaide Thunderbirds.

https://www.afl.com.au/news/807529/no-d ... -young-gun
Hear me out for a second...

You know how Dunkley and Treloar are basically joined at the hip now?

Actually... you dont need to hear me out, you know where this is going.

Could you imagine? :shock: :o :shock: :lol:
A Goal Saved Is 2 Goals Earned!
Presti35
Has liked: 164 times
Been liked: 62 times

Post by Presti35 »

^^ This article also mentions Darcy Gardiner, a key position defender from the Lions. Would he be a better free agency target than McStay?

192cm, 26 years old. https://afltables.com/afl/stats/players ... diner.html
A Goal Saved Is 2 Goals Earned!

Presti35 wrote:^^ This article also mentions Darcy Gardiner, a key position defender from the Lions. Would he be a better free agency target than McStay?

192cm, 26 years old. https://afltables.com/afl/stats/players ... diner.html

Gardiner is Under sized for KPD in this age of 200cm full forwards.

We’ve got Murphy - and as a fallback, Ruscoe - to fill that role.

We need a mature bodied, key position beast.

McStay fits the bill, is a workhorse,, will be cheaper than advertised, and has played under Leppa.
inxs88

Post by inxs88 »

Matt Crouch's game against the Pies this year was the embodiment of selfish, chip chip, crab like disposal that had zero affect and meaningfulness on the outcome. He is a horrible footballer now.
I love the Pies, hate Carlscum
swoop42
Been liked: 3 times

Post by swoop42 »

Outside a long term injury changing the landscape dramatically everything seems to be pointing towards McStay being at Collingwood next year.

I should have clarified my position better the other day and stated that if the obtainment of McStay has already been budgeted under the scenario whereby both Grundy and De Goey choose to remain then I don't have any big issue with it. Having to jettison De Goey and his salary out the door to make it happen wouldn't sit well with me however and I suspect many others also.

As it is if the club believe he's more suited to a different forward role than the one he occupies at Brisbane or as speculated we'll attempt to switch him to defense then it's hard to argue we aren't in need of a full back or another experienced tall forward option.

Currently with Moore as our only genuine key defender and Mihocek our only proven tall forward we are only a couple of injuries away from disaster and need someone for the now while we wait and see how players like Kreuger, Dean and Johnson etc come on.

With us seemingly committed to McStay then I think it's fair to say that our supposed interest in Taranto will only be feasible if we intend on moving on either De Goey or Grundy.

Reading the tea leaves and I feel more pessimistic about the future of De Goey at Collingwood than Grundy.

Despite McRae talking of a desire for Jordan to stay, the perception still exists that the decision will be taken out of his hands and the football department fed up with off field distractions have told Jordan to explore rival club offers.

While Grundy has been linked as part of a deal for Taranto I'm not so convinced he'd make the move to GWS directly given he's currently happy and settled in Melbourne by all reports. A move home to SA should also appeal more. Draft selections secured by a deal for Grundy and used for Taranto could be an option however.

Personally I find it hard to imagine the club will look to move on both players with De Goey the more likely of the two to be the sole departure.

If that occurs then using the trade currency he provides for Taranto (or equivalent) and adding McStay would be the minimum satisfactory return.

If both Grundy and De Goey depart it's hard not to imagine we're looking to clear space and possibly set ourselves up for play at a big name at the end of next year.
He's mad. He's bad. He's MaynHARD!
Pies4shaw
Has liked: 54 times
Been liked: 87 times

Post by Pies4shaw »

^ Well, the Club has already pulled De Goey's contract offer from the table, so there's a message in that. At the very least, their interest (if they still have any) seems to be a heavily qualified one.
RudeBoy
Been liked: 73 times

Post by RudeBoy »

I hope we keep both Grundy and Jordy, but I suspect both may be elsewhere next year. If this happens, we risk damaging our spirit and culture as we did in jettisoning Treloar off our books - we finished 17th if you remember.
piedys
Has liked: 281 times
Been liked: 66 times

Post by piedys »

RudeBoy wrote:... , we risk damaging our spirit and culture as we did in jettisoning Treloar off our books - we finished 17th if you remember.
It reminded me of our fall into the abyss from 1981GF loss, into 1982, which saw Hafey exiled.

Ironically we bounced back in 1983, but only after opening the cheque book and commencing the dud spending spree that nearly sent us bust by 1986.
M I L L A N E 4 2 forever

RudeBoy wrote:I hope we keep both Grundy and Jordy, but I suspect both may be elsewhere next year. If this happens, we risk damaging our spirit and culture as we did in jettisoning Treloar off our books - we finished 17th if you remember.
Treloar was forced out due to salary cap pressure. Degoey - and hypothetically Grundy - will only leave if they choose to. There’s a huge difference.

What about McAsey at the crowd as a KPD to help shift Moore into to CHB…. Has anyone seen him play?
lazzadesilva
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 51 times

Post by lazzadesilva »

I get the feeling that Collingwood has already made up their minds that JDG is not going to be a part of their future plans for success. To each their own but I think getting rid of him will like what we did with Carman. We did not have flag success for a while after that decision. Maybe Collingwood are not planning for a flag over the next couple of years but being currently fourth, you’d think that the thought could have crossed their minds. RB is spot on when he writes about the devastating effect a popular player or players being asked to leave can have on teammates. I don’t think they are on the right path if JDG is allowed to leave. It will be yet another case of so close but yet so far. Collingwood are masters of derailing their own chances for success and I get the awful “here we bloody go again” feeling. Only bloody Collingwood cut their nose to spite their face. Consistently. If they get rid of JDG, we will go at least three hours back from where our premiership clock is at the moment.
I term the current Collingwood attack based strategy “Unceasing Waves” like on a stormy and windy day with rough seas. A Perfect Storm ☔️

Degoey is a gun, but he’s not buying into our new coaching philosophy and the professional standards that accompany it.

If he decides to leave, we can match the offer and keep him, or force more realistic compensation.

The real question is would we rather keep a gifted yet problematic player on our books to embrace the ‘Daicos era’, or let him go for Tarranto or a couple of kids who actually want to be part of successful dynasty?

In this day and age the answer is obvious.
mattdally
Has liked: 1 time

Post by mattdally »

Taranto will always give you an 8/10 performance.
Even on off days Taranto still gets his hands on the ball and tackles.

For Jordy to get to an 8/10 he would have to be exceptional.
Yes his best is better than Taranto's - but how many games in a season would he be less than 5/10 performance.

Consistency vs Possibility

mattdally wrote:Taranto will always give you an 8/10 performance.
Even on off days Taranto still gets his hands on the ball and tackles.

For Jordy to get to an 8/10 he would have to be exceptional.
Yes his best is better than Taranto's - but how many games in a season would he be less than 5/10 performance.

Consistency vs Possibility
100% agree.
If we let Degoey go but gain Tarranto, Wright has is truely a magician!