Trade Targets ~ Free Agency & MSD player movements

This is a Collingwood Bulletin Board - use this forum for general, Pies-related topics. For other footy topics, use Nick's Other AFL forum, and for non-footy sporting topics please use Nick's Sports Bar. For non-sporting topics please use the Victoria Park Tavern.

Moderator: bbmods

neil
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 21 times

Post by neil »

[quote="lazzadesilva"]I get the feeling that Collingwood has already made up their minds that JDG is not going to be a part of their future plans for success. To each their own but I think getting rid of him will like what we did with Carman. We did not have flag success for a while after that decision. Maybe Collingwood are not planning for a flag over the next couple of years but being currently fourth, you’d think that the thought could have crossed their minds. RB is spot on when he writes about the devastating effect a popular player or players being asked to leave can have on teammates. I don’t think they are on the right path if JDG is allowed to leave. It will be yet another case of so close but yet so far. Collingwood are masters of derailing their own chances for success and I get the awful “here we bloody go again” feeling. Only bloody Collingwood cut their nose to spite their face. Consistently. If they get rid of JDG, we will go at least three hours back from where our premiership clock is at the moment.
Carlscum 120 years being cheating scum
RudeBoy
Been liked: 73 times

Post by RudeBoy »

My worry about the potential damage to team spirit was more related to our possible trade of Grundy. Given that he is under contract, and assuming he wants to remain with us, any move by us to encourage him to go elsewhere I'm sure would not be received well by the playing group. JDG's situation is different, as his contract is coming to an end and his manager has been playing hard ball and shopping him around.
lazzadesilva
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 51 times

Post by lazzadesilva »

^^^^

That is what any good manager would do, as with Moore and many others. JDG is wanted by our coach. I remain to be corrected but feel that if he is wanted by the club and teammates, he will feel vindicated in staying and making amends for his sins. If not Collingwood will lose him to a club that has no qualms playing him & he will continue to be a gun, just not for us
I term the current Collingwood attack based strategy “Unceasing Waves” like on a stormy and windy day with rough seas. A Perfect Storm ☔️
Pies2016
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 88 times

Post by Pies2016 »

5:11pm wrote:
mattdally wrote:Taranto will always give you an 8/10 performance.
Even on off days Taranto still gets his hands on the ball and tackles.

For Jordy to get to an 8/10 he would have to be exceptional.
Yes his best is better than Taranto's - but how many games in a season would he be less than 5/10 performance.

Consistency vs Possibility
100% agree.
If we let Degoey go but gain Tarranto, Wright has is truely a magician!
In 2019, Taranto as a 21 / 22 year old won G W S best and fairest amongst a strong list of mid fielders. Not sure “ everyone “ realises how good he is.
Considering this club is meant to be in the business of winning, I don’t imagine there would be many players who would feel overly distraught on the back of J D leaving and Taranto arriving as his replacement.
piffdog
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 37 times

Post by piffdog »

Question to posters here: given any FA compensation if Jordy leaves would be cancelled out if McStay comes in (or at least that’s how I understand it…) would it be feasible to trade for McStay with our three third rounders? This would preserve any potential compo pick and help bris get their points for a Ashcroft selection at potentially #1.

For reference we have #42, #46, and #47. Put together these are equivalent to about pick #17. On second thoughts that’s probably too much for McStay isn’t it?

Was just thinking about any opportunities to preserve our FA compensation if Jordy walks. Be great to keep our first rounder (probably around #12-15) and potentially get another right after or at the end of the first round (#18-20 after father sons etc).
It's never as good/nor bad as it seems...
RudeBoy

Post by RudeBoy »

You are right P2016 that Taranto is a top player, who performs well week in week out. However, I think some of us still reckon that JDG is an even better player. JDG is an out and out big game match winner.
mudlark

Post by mudlark »

SwansWay wrote:
mattdally wrote:Tom Mitchell - has fallen out with Sam Mitchell and dropped this week. Gettable - play him in the guts and let him do what he does best.
Don't really think he'll help us out that much. I'm concerned he's an accumulator but doesn't hurt opposition teams. Only if he's very cheap.

How's Bobby Hill going this year? I haven't seen many GWS games but he seems to have had a quiet season stats wise.
He has had testicular cancer and hasn’t played since May when he had an operation and has been in recovery since.
Pies2016
Been liked: 88 times

Post by Pies2016 »

piffdog wrote:Question to posters here: given any FA compensation if Jordy leaves would be cancelled out if McStay comes in (or at least that’s how I understand it…) would it be feasible to trade for McStay with our three third rounders? This would preserve any potential compo pick and help bris get their points for a Ashcroft selection at potentially #1.

For reference we have #42, #46, and #47. Put together these are equivalent to about pick #17. On second thoughts that’s probably too much for McStay isn’t it?

Was just thinking about any opportunities to preserve our FA compensation if Jordy walks. Be great to keep our first rounder (probably around #12-15) and potentially get another right after or at the end of the first round (#18-20 after father sons etc).
Yes, that is a possibility but it will remain a can of worms right up until the trade period. The only reason the Lions would entertain a trade for McStay is because they need roughly 4000 points for both Ashcroft and Fletcher as F / S prospects ( based on Twomeys first draft order ) Neither have nominated the Lions yet, so the need for any F /S points could yet mount to nothing if they don’t nominate the Lions. Ashcroft is easily the best player in the draft but he lives in Melbourne, so maybe he’s no certainty to go to the Lions.
Also remember, whatever we were to give up in points, needs to be more than the compo pick the Lions get for McStay ( assuming they don’t bring an F / A in ) So that compo pick value would come into calculations with any discussions for our late picks.
Personally, I would give up our three third rounders for a late first rounder any day but there’s a lot needs to play out before the club even finds itself with that as an option.
5:11pm
Been liked: 4 times

Post by 5:11pm »

Tarranto is a Beast. Elite in almost every statistical category. He’s 24 and Had a few muck-ups, but seems to have learnt his lesson.

Degoey on the other hand, is still a mess at 26.

Wright won’t be drawn into a Grundy-esque contract negotiation full stop.
Presti35
Has liked: 164 times
Been liked: 62 times

Post by Presti35 »

What we do with JDG and Grundy will be massive. Make no mistake, we can win the flag next year.

But can we win it without them? These are two big stars that will be hard to replace.

If, for example, the trade was JDG and Grundy for Taranto and Hopper, would you take it?
A Goal Saved Is 2 Goals Earned!

Presti35 wrote:What we do with JDG and Grundy will be massive. Make no mistake, we can win the flag next year.

But can we win it without them? These are two big stars that will be hard to replace.

If, for example, the trade was JDG and Grundy for Taranto and Hopper, would you take it?
Hopper to the Pies is unlikely.

Wright is into Tarranto and Hill.

If there’s movement, we will get one or both of them.
Prexm68

Post by Prexm68 »

Pies2016 wrote:
piffdog wrote:Question to posters here: given any FA compensation if Jordy leaves would be cancelled out if McStay comes in (or at least that’s how I understand it…) would it be feasible to trade for McStay with our three third rounders? This would preserve any potential compo pick and help bris get their points for a Ashcroft selection at potentially #1.

Was just thinking about any opportunities to preserve our FA compensation if Jordy walks. Be great to keep our first rounder (probably around #12-15) and potentially get another right after or at the end of the first round (#18-20 after father sons etc).[/

Yes, that is a possibility but it will remain a can of worms right up until the trade period. The only reason the Lions would entertain a trade for McStay is because they need roughly 4000 points for both Ashcroft and Fletcher as F / S prospects ( based on Twomeys first draft order ) Neither have nominated the Lions yet, so the need for any F /S points could yet mount to nothing if they don’t nominate the Lions. Ashcroft is easily the best player in the draft but he lives in Melbourne, so maybe he’s no certainty to go to the Lions.
Also remember, whatever we were to give up in points, needs to be more than the compo pick the Lions get for McStay ( assuming they don’t bring an F / A in ) So that compo pick value would come into calculations with any discussions for our late picks.
Personally, I would give up our three third rounders for a late first rounder any day but there’s a lot needs to play out before the club even finds itself with that as an option.
The way unrestricted FA works is that McStay nominates us and he automatically becomes our player. Brisbane will get their compo pick which they will likely trade later for more points to probably GC who have lots of picks.

McStay is coming 100%.

He’s the best key position player on the market and we need one desperately.

He loves Leppa and if Kreuger is healthy he will play FB.
RudeBoy

Post by RudeBoy »

5:11pm wrote:McStay is coming 100%.

He’s the best key position player on the market and we need one desperately.

He loves Leppa and if Kreuger is healthy he will play FB.
Although sceptical to begin with, because I hadn't really seen him do much, I'm warming to the idea of McStay, as we desperately need a 200cm defender to play the Roughead role and relieve pressure off Moore, Howe and Murphy. We have other tall defensive options in Dean and Kelly, but neither of them are big enough to take on powerful 200 cm forwards. Hopefully Krueger can remain injury free and fill the power forward role, making life easier for Checkers, Johnson and Henry.
lazzadesilva
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 51 times

Post by lazzadesilva »

If Taranto is supposed to be such a gun, why aren’t other clubs lining up to get him as well? Doesn’t make sense as Collingwood is never given such a clear run at a player under normal circumstances
I term the current Collingwood attack based strategy “Unceasing Waves” like on a stormy and windy day with rough seas. A Perfect Storm ☔️