Farewell #33 Jack Ginnivan

Use this forum for non-Collingwood related footy topics that don't relate specifically to any of the other forums. For non-footy sporting topics please use Nick's Sports Bar and for non-sporting topics please use the Victoria Park Tavern.

Moderator: bbmods

Mr Miyagi
Has liked: 48 times
Been liked: 113 times

Post by Mr Miyagi »

eddiesmith wrote:
What'sinaname wrote:If you are referring to the contest with 8:27 left in Q2, it was a clear holding the man. There was no locking of arms or flopping in that play.

If you were an umpire, umpiring would be worse than what it currently is.
Btw it was actually about 5 minutes to go, 8:27 was the high shot where he got pinged HTB!

But yes there was absolutely no locking of the arms in that instance, it was however one of my pet peeves I hate players
doing and I personally never pay the free kick either!
Umpiring is meant to be impartial, not personal
David
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 37 times

Post by David »

"Every time we witness an injustice and do not act, we train our character to be passive in its presence." – Julian Assange
lazzadesilva
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 51 times

Post by lazzadesilva »

Mr Miyagi wrote:Umpiring is meant to be impartial, not personal
In theory
I term the current Collingwood attack based strategy “Unceasing Waves” like on a stormy and windy day with rough seas. A Perfect Storm ☔️
eddiesmith
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 16 times

Post by eddiesmith »

But it’s that subconscious mind that sees an umpire who for 30 years has hated Collingwood like every non Collingwood supporter does, getting the opportunity to live out their fantasies.
think positive
Has liked: 216 times
Been liked: 86 times

Post by think positive »

You cant fix stupid, turns out you cant quarantine it either!
maurs64
Been liked: 1 time

Post by maurs64 »

With some of the comments on this thread, you would think that Ginnivan is the ONLY player that regularly stages for free kicks. WRONG. There are dozens of players as bad & worse than Ginnivan. They however are not being singled out by the umpires. Only Ginnivan is! The other stagers are still getting free kicks every week. Ginnivan is not. And as long as he wears a Collingwood jumper, will probably never get another free kick, EVER!
This is bullying in the workplace, which I'm pretty sure is illegal these days!
And by the way who do you complain to if it's the AFL bringing the game into disrepute???
David
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 37 times

Post by David »

There are absolutely avenues that the club could pursue if they wanted to, up to and including legal ones. But it seems pretty clear by now that they have no interest in doing so.
"Every time we witness an injustice and do not act, we train our character to be passive in its presence." – Julian Assange
thesoretoothsayer
Been liked: 14 times

Post by thesoretoothsayer »

I'm guessing Pendles will be forced to backtrack about his "different set of rules" comment about Ginni even though everyone knows he's correct:

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/teams/ ... 7127cfc5c8
mgh3536

Post by mgh3536 »

maurs64 wrote:With some of the comments on this thread, you would think that Ginnivan is the ONLY player that regularly stages for free kicks. WRONG. There are dozens of players as bad & worse than Ginnivan. They however are not being singled out by the umpires. Only Ginnivan is! The other stagers are still getting free kicks every week. Ginnivan is not. And as long as he wears a Collingwood jumper, will probably never get another free kick, EVER!
And by the way who do you complain to if it's the AFL bringing the game into disrepute???
Agreed what about boak when daicos whacked him in the back, it was only he fell forward that caught the umpires eye
think positive
Has liked: 216 times
Been liked: 86 times

Post by think positive »

maurs64 wrote:With some of the comments on this thread, you would think that Ginnivan is the ONLY player that regularly stages for free kicks. WRONG. There are dozens of players as bad & worse than Ginnivan. They however are not being singled out by the umpires. Only Ginnivan is! The other stagers are still getting free kicks every week. Ginnivan is not. And as long as he wears a Collingwood jumper, will probably never get another free kick, EVER!
spot on
You cant fix stupid, turns out you cant quarantine it either!
Presti35
Has liked: 164 times
Been liked: 62 times

Markart cartoon RE: Ginnivan

Post by Presti35 »

Just looking at the cartoon by this artist on FB, and he's done a mortal kombat style cartoon where Redman is decapitating Ginnivan, blood and all.

Is it funny, is it too far, are people missing the point? Should it be shared? Or should it be taken down?

If you have facebook, check out the Markart page.
A Goal Saved Is 2 Goals Earned!
stui magpie
Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 74 times

Post by stui magpie »

Or if you do, try this

https://www.facebook.com/photo?fbid=409 ... 6766686453

Seems apt to me.
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
Magpietothemax
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 15 times

Post by Magpietothemax »

Very interesting cartoon.
The most cutting aspect is the fact that Ginni is holding an "Oscar" in his hand, while being decapitated.
The umpire's total indifference to the physical violence being inflicted on Ginny is brilliantly captured as well.
However, I would not have made out Redman as the devil in this cartoon. I think that aspect is flawed. The devil is not Redman, it is the AFL that has created the conditions where a Redman believes that he can attack Ginny in any way without penalty. Redman should look more like just a dumb dog, rather than a satanic one. The evil should be represented somehow with the AFL represented in the cartoon in some way ( I am not artistic so cannot speculate how), messaging to the umpire that the decapitation of Ginnivan is quite acceptable, and he should just order KFC.
Free Julian Assange!!
Ice in the veins
Meredith1965

Re: Markart cartoon RE: Ginnivan

Post by Meredith1965 »

Presti35 wrote:Just looking at the cartoon by this artist on FB, and he's done a mortal kombat style cartoon where Redman is decapitating Ginnivan, blood and all.

Is it funny, is it too far, are people missing the point? Should it be shared? Or should it be taken down?

If you have facebook, check out the Markart page.
It’s a cartoon, though not a very witty one. It does what cartoons do. Why would anyone think it should be taken down ?
Mr Miyagi
Has liked: 48 times
Been liked: 113 times

Post by Mr Miyagi »

Ginni changed his profile pic to a screenshot of him in the headlock, so I reckon he has a wry sense of humour.