Rucking Duties

This is a Collingwood Bulletin Board - use this forum for general, Pies-related topics. For other footy topics, use Nick's Other AFL forum, and for non-footy sporting topics please use Nick's Sports Bar. For non-sporting topics please use the Victoria Park Tavern.

Moderator: bbmods

think positive
Has liked: 212 times
Been liked: 85 times

Post by think positive »

Gees nice of Grundy to give people all these different insights personally! I guess his injury gave him time for the calls!

Let’s be honest, none of us have a clue!

I have faith in the powers that be, but I really hope we are not paying 300k!
You cant fix stupid, turns out you cant quarantine it either!
think positive

Post by think positive »

Deja Vu wrote:Wouldn’t have got Lipinski if we didn’t trade Treloar. Who’s better value for money right now and for the next 3 years?
lipinski wveryday twice on Sundays!
think positive

Post by think positive »

Woods Of Ypres wrote:so is Grundy Gawn or what :?:
Clever!
pietillidie
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 28 times

Post by pietillidie »

burnsy17 wrote:Have all the exit interviews been done?

Why hasn’t he come out and said he wants to leave yet??
One of the few things we know about Brodie based on the years he's been at the club is that he's not a great public communicator, which is fine enough; not everyone has to play the public game we're used to. My concern is that there might be reasons for this, as there often are with people, and also that this might have made things worse than they needed to be in a world that unfairly favours smooth or blokey talkers.

So, don't expect flawless PR and crystal clear communications. You would think that's his manager's job, but not to be so far. That makes me very wary about judging him from afar.
In the end the rain comes down, washes clean the streets of a blue sky town.
Help Nick's: http://www.magpies.net/nick/bb/fundraising.htm
The Black and White Lion
Has liked: 180 times
Been liked: 65 times

Post by The Black and White Lion »

qldmagpie67 wrote:People just gloss over the actual facts here so much

Fact since Grundy signed the mega deal he’s ranked the 8th best ruckman in the competition based on champion data records only Gawn and Nic Nat are paid anywhere near his realm of salary and both ranked much higher

Fact once he signed the mega deal his first public comment was his life wouldn’t be defined by what he achieved on a football field ! (For someone just handed $7 million one would have thought he may have said something along the lines of I’ll do whatever it takes to bring success to the club)

Fact Grundy’s management have driven this in the media non stop to there advantage. No one from Collingwood has come out and confirmed we are willing to pay $300k. The fact is suitors value Grundy at a $600/$700k player not the million we paid him

Fact since Grundy was injured our team performed much better with our winning % going from 50% (3-3) at time of injury to 13-3 (regular season results) or just over 75%
Yes it can be argued the team evolved more as the season progressed with a new game plan. It can also be argued with Cameron and Cox it suited the new game plan much better than playing Grundy. Both Cameron and Cox do one thing markedly better than Grundy they take marks above there head and they kick the odd goal

I was never sold on Grundy at a million a season and stated several times players earning that sort of money he need to be match winners like a Petracca or Oliver or Neale etc
Ruckman dont win you big games in today’s football world
Stanley will battle Hickey in the GF who combined salaries would be about 50% of Grundy’s
Neither lead any stats all they do is make a contest at stoppages and centre bounces that’s it

Personally I like the idea of him going to Melbourne it closes there premiership window for 5 years (more likely 2 years until he’s offloaded again) when they realise Gawn isn’t a FF and Grundy isn’t a ruckman who taps the ball to his teams advantage and there clearance game suffers dramatically
For a team with no true power forward and lacking in mids we went within a point of a GF
Fill those gaps and refine the game plan and get more miles and experience into the likes of Johnson Carmichael etc and we have a bright future
David King's analysis of the Geelong ruck play against Brisbane on AFL 360 last night was amazing. Stanley, Blicsavs and Hawkins ruck in combo pending the ball up or throw in location. Hawkins and Blicsavs take the centre forward rucks allowing Stanley to drop back to CHB picking up a forward and allowing his team mate to become the plus one and force a contest, change in direction or make an intercept.

Point is it doesn't matter if you're a great ruckman. If you can play as a team and help the team and you can do a whole lot more to win the game compared with just getting your hand to the tap first.
Ed Allen kicked our last goal of the year at the 58minute mark
MAY-Z

Post by MAY-Z »

qldmagpie67 wrote:People just gloss over the actual facts here so much

Fact since Grundy signed the mega deal he’s ranked the 8th best ruckman in the competition based on champion data records only Gawn and Nic Nat are paid anywhere near his realm of salary and both ranked much higher

Fact once he signed the mega deal his first public comment was his life wouldn’t be defined by what he achieved on a football field ! (For someone just handed $7 million one would have thought he may have said something along the lines of I’ll do whatever it takes to bring success to the club)

Fact Grundy’s management have driven this in the media non stop to there advantage. No one from Collingwood has come out and confirmed we are willing to pay $300k. The fact is suitors value Grundy at a $600/$700k player not the million we paid him

Fact since Grundy was injured our team performed much better with our winning % going from 50% (3-3) at time of injury to 13-3 (regular season results) or just over 75%
Yes it can be argued the team evolved more as the season progressed with a new game plan. It can also be argued with Cameron and Cox it suited the new game plan much better than playing Grundy. Both Cameron and Cox do one thing markedly better than Grundy they take marks above there head and they kick the odd goal

I was never sold on Grundy at a million a season and stated several times players earning that sort of money he need to be match winners like a Petracca or Oliver or Neale etc
Ruckman dont win you big games in today’s football world
Stanley will battle Hickey in the GF who combined salaries would be about 50% of Grundy’s
Neither lead any stats all they do is make a contest at stoppages and centre bounces that’s it

Personally I like the idea of him going to Melbourne it closes there premiership window for 5 years (more likely 2 years until he’s offloaded again) when they realise Gawn isn’t a FF and Grundy isn’t a ruckman who taps the ball to his teams advantage and there clearance game suffers dramatically
For a team with no true power forward and lacking in mids we went within a point of a GF
Fill those gaps and refine the game plan and get more miles and experience into the likes of Johnson Carmichael etc and we have a bright future
Agree with basically all of this

What a lot of people seem to be forgetting is that we aren't trading out the 2018/9 Grundy, We are trading out the 2020-2 Grundy with what im led to believe is some years upwards of $1m coming in his contract. That just isnt a sustainable number

In my opinion its easier to improve your clearances by adding midfield depth than by adding a quality ruck
Piesnchess
Has liked: 178 times
Been liked: 72 times

Post by Piesnchess »

slangman wrote:
Piesnchess wrote:
slangman wrote: Having just finished reading Neil Balmes book, you can see why he was able to hold premiership lists together a little longer than most.

“How much do you need?” opposed to “how much do you want?” was his philosophy which probably explains why players like Hawkins are on 300-400k.

Going back say, two seasons, Hawk is bit older now, but say, two seasons ago , if he was out of contract, and a Melbourne club, offered him say, $700 000 for three yrs, per year, you telling me hed knock back 300K more per year, to stay with the Cats ?? Thats $900 K more, every man has his price, he would not have knocked that back, turn it up. :o
Whatever the exact figures are, Hawkins has stayed at Geelong for less than he is worth on the open market. But he also isn’t the only one.
Have a read of Balmes book and it will explain the philosophy and attitude that he implemented at Geelong when he arrived after his unceremonious exit from Collingwood.

Those Jurassic park days are gone now, NO way would talented young kids, NOW stay at Geebung, if they were offered hundreds of thousands dollars more to relocate to Melbourne, just up the road from Sleepy Hollow. No way nowdays, that era is over Hawkins is the last of the dinosaurs, as for Balme, he lives in the past too. He left Geebung ages ago. :o
Poverty exists not because we cannot feed the poor, but because we cannot satisfy the rich.

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
slangman
Has liked: 23 times
Been liked: 9 times

Post by slangman »

Piesnchess wrote:
slangman wrote:
Piesnchess wrote:

Going back say, two seasons, Hawk is bit older now, but say, two seasons ago , if he was out of contract, and a Melbourne club, offered him say, $700 000 for three yrs, per year, you telling me hed knock back 300K more per year, to stay with the Cats ?? Thats $900 K more, every man has his price, he would not have knocked that back, turn it up. :o
Whatever the exact figures are, Hawkins has stayed at Geelong for less than he is worth on the open market. But he also isn’t the only one.
Have a read of Balmes book and it will explain the philosophy and attitude that he implemented at Geelong when he arrived after his unceremonious exit from Collingwood.

Those Jurassic park days are gone now, NO way would talented young kids, NOW stay at Geebung, if they were offered hundreds of thousands dollars more to relocate to Melbourne, just up the road from Sleepy Hollow. No way nowdays, that era is over Hawkins is the last of the dinosaurs, as for Balme, he lives in the past too. He left Geebung ages ago. :o
Maybe so, but they won 3 flags whilst he was there and then after a short stint with Bucks he left for Richmond…..and guess what they did??
- Side By Side -
tbaker

Post by tbaker »

slangman wrote:
tbaker wrote:
slangman wrote:Grundys best is extremely good as he has proven. Unfortunately for him, that was quite a while ago now.
Yes, the last time he played for us - last qtr on Anzac Day when he almost single handedly won us that game (with a bung knee) - was quite a while ago now.
One quarter in 2.5 seasons??
How easily his value and efforts are forgotten - I suggest you look at the Collingwood ranking points for the 6 games he played at the start of the season - was ranked in the top few players in 5 of those games. He had just one shocker - the Brisbane loss.

I understand he's almost certainly gone, and time will tell if it's the right move (it will certainly increase Dee's chances of contending again), but for some to downplay his value and importance is amazing. He is a one-in-2-generations ruckman. When was the last time we had a ruckman of his calibre? Peter Moore? Len Thompson? (idk how they stacked up against Grundy, I was just a kid then)
I find your lack of faith disturbing
Pies4shaw
Has liked: 54 times
Been liked: 87 times

Post by Pies4shaw »

^ Best ruckman ever in a Collingwood jumper, whether he stays or goes.

Only a halfwit would want him gone.
slangman

Post by slangman »

Pies4shaw wrote:^ Best ruckman ever in a Collingwood jumper, whether he stays or goes.

I guess Graham Wright is a halfwit then.
- Side By Side -
jatsad
Been liked: 14 times

Post by jatsad »

Pies4shaw wrote:^ Best ruckman ever in a Collingwood jumper, whether he stays or goes.

Best ruckman ever?
I don't think so. Thompson and Moore would have had him for breakfast. They could tap, more agile and even more importantly could take a mark.
Jatsad - That is all
slangman

Post by slangman »

jatsad wrote:

Best ruckman ever?
I don't think so. Thompson and Moore would have had him for breakfast. They could tap, more agile and even more importantly could take a mark.
Id even throw in Jolly for the short time that he was at Collingwood.
He was pivotal to us winning in 2010 with not only his tap work
And marking but also his ability to kick goals.
- Side By Side -
Dark Beanie
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 16 times

Post by Dark Beanie »

burnsy17 wrote:Have all the exit interviews been done?

Why hasn’t he come out and said he wants to leave yet??
All exit interviews were completed Monday & Tuesday.
If you are foolish enough to be contented, don't show it, but just grumble with the rest. - Jerome K Jerome
Pies4shaw
Has liked: 54 times
Been liked: 87 times

Post by Pies4shaw »

jatsad wrote:

Best ruckman ever?
You're entitled to your view - but I disagree. Neither Thompson nor Moore had Grundy's ability to steamroll the midfield. Both were more elegant.