#2 Jordan De Goey

This is a Collingwood Bulletin Board - use this forum for general, Pies-related topics. For other footy topics, use Nick's Other AFL forum, and for non-footy sporting topics please use Nick's Sports Bar. For non-sporting topics please use the Victoria Park Tavern.

Moderator: bbmods

derkd
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 23 times

Post by derkd »

I know I am still an outlier here, I have stated since the New York incident, it is best for Jordy and the club he plays elsewhere next year.

I stand on this view, the risks are too great. No player is irreplaceable.

He is a good player, but he isn't Martin, Judd or Abblett snr or Jnr.

Handing Jordy a contract of over 2 years is a mistake in my view,
"To know nothing of events before your birth, is to forever remain a child" - Cicero (Roman Lawyer/Senator) 46 BCE.
pietillidie
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 28 times

Post by pietillidie »

^The details all depend on the self-awareness of those involved. Bear in mind how horrible the idea is that it's okay to discriminate against the different in order to 'win'. Plenty of horrible things can be euphemised as 'realistic' or 'tough', but they're also clearly unacceptable and repugnant. Some of the discussion can get awfully close to that line, with the taint of a wink-and-nod eugenics thrown in for good measure: "We don't serve the mentally imperfect in this bar, because we're winners".

I certainly agree on shorter-term contracts, even though I take a firm line on protecting player wellbeing and health, and not throwing people under a bus because they're imperfect, regardless of earnings. But no one gets to own humans and re-write medicine, science and human ethics, whatever the organisation, however fierce the competition. Human rights trump corporate rights every single time, for every organisation. Football clubs don't get to sidestep this requirement. Only some kinds of winning are acceptable kinds of winning.

But flexibility is certainly needed from both parties in the practical working out of these things. Jordy needs good advice from his people and to show an understanding of his own condition as part of the process.

It is going to take smart and properly informed people on both sides to work this out right for all concerned. My fear is that it's technically and experientially beyond the capability of those involved, which is by no means unfounded if experience is any guide. Not because I think those involved are dim, but because I know people struggle to grasp the condition as it confuses onlookers and its central mechanism is counter-intuitive, i.e., the notion that dopamine (and probably also noradrenaline) drives motivation and planning and connects thoughts coherently in time. This is a universe away from the folk theories of 'will power' we all grow up with, and is a very challenging concept.

One thing people with ADHD need is others to have their back, having already spent a life being misunderstood and criticised for every second infraction or unexpected behaviour. So, the club really needs to be mindful of how important this commitment is in its offer, and Jordy in turn needs to know how valuable it is for his own wellbeing and performance to have that commitment. Craig McRae's relationship with Jordy is crucial in any decision.
In the end the rain comes down, washes clean the streets of a blue sky town.
Help Nick's: http://www.magpies.net/nick/bb/fundraising.htm
Piesnchess
Has liked: 202 times
Been liked: 89 times

Post by Piesnchess »

He will sign, for sure. Hell, if we were to lose both him and Grundy, fans would burn down the Lexus center, or whatever its called now, with molotov cocktails. He will stay, Fly has had a long talk with him, very persuasive.
Poverty exists not because we cannot feed the poor, but because we cannot satisfy the rich.

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
warburton lad
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 52 times

Post by warburton lad »

We have to accept that we are all wired differently.

De Goey and Grundy are not the same as anyone else on the planet- just like everyone else in the world.

Coaching/managing all the different personality types in any large (or small) organisation requires a deft touch with diplomacy and the need to meet the objectives of an organisation in constant tension with each other.

Money and contract lengths aside, there are a plethora of issues involved in list management that all of us outside the Club would most probably be blissfully unaware of.

The alleged issues at Hawthorn 'The Family Club' have shone a light on how complex profession al sporting organisations can be.

Putting aside my desire for our Club to achieve the ultimate by retaining both players, I can see how important it is that both men are given the opportunity to blossom personally.

It may well be that De Goey and/or Grundy decide that their best (personal- socio-emotional) outcomes are realised elsewhere and therefore they leave the Club.

If this is the case, so be it. If the last 72 hours of headlines have taught us anything it is that player-welfare (as distinct from financial incentive) should be paramount.

Floreat Pica
Firm in the belief that number 17 flag is only months away...
lazzadesilva
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 64 times

Post by lazzadesilva »

derkd wrote:I know I am still an outlier here, I have stated since the New York incident, it is best for Jordy and the club he plays elsewhere next year.
Fair point. However I have grave concerns that if Collingwood don’t keep Jordy, we will have taken one step forward and then two steps back. He is vital for our success. It’s all about risk management and good clubs do this well. I expect that Collingwood will be equal to the task and settle this issue.
I term the current Collingwood attack based strategy “Unceasing Waves” like on a stormy and windy day with rough seas. A Perfect Storm ☔️
Deja Vu

Post by Deja Vu »

If we lose him I suspect it changes our view of where this team sits on the list of contenders. We may go into full rebuild mode
mudlark

Post by mudlark »

derkd wrote:I know I am still an outlier here, I have stated since the New York incident, it is best for Jordy and the club he plays elsewhere next year.

Funny how you say he is not a Martin or An Ablett senior. We know what Ablett senior did with white powder and young girls and Martins rap sheet is worse than Jordys' as far as I am concerned. We get rid of him and spend those 5 years looking for another …..Jordan De Goey.
Culprit
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 39 times

Post by Culprit »

Everyone is tradeable, the offer is fair and reasonable. If he wants to go then get a deal done. You don't want to lose him but you don't want the tail wagging the dog either.
piffdog
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 51 times

Post by piffdog »

Culprit wrote:Everyone is tradeable, the offer is fair and reasonable. If he wants to go then get a deal done. You don't want to lose him but you don't want the tail wagging the dog either.
Spot on...

We also have the whip hand with the right to match. Not sure how the behavioural clauses would work in that sense. It may well be that we are already offering more than the next best bid (remember we have also increased our offer from 4 to 5 years).
It's never as good/nor bad as it seems...
Pies4shaw
Has liked: 103 times
Been liked: 120 times

Post by Pies4shaw »

^ I don't think so. St Kilda has allegedly offered over $1M a year for 5 years. We are said to be at about $850K.
Haff
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 41 times

Post by Haff »

Pies4shaw wrote:^ I don't think so. St Kilda has allegedly offered over $1M a year for 5 years. We are said to be at about $850K.
Must hold or we have another Grundy.
He was great in the first two finals, soundly beaten (and looked lethargic for mine) in the Prelim.
Happy to go back with this offer but no more.
The match day thread is for unfiltered BS knee jerk reactions. The time for level headed comment comes after.
sherrife

Post by sherrife »

He's not even worth 850 IMO, even aside from his appalling behaviour. He's just not a consistent match winner. Contrast him to Petracca, Martin, Judd, etc, there is just no comparison.
I would be ashamed to admit that I had risen from the ranks. When I rise it will be with the ranks... - Eugene Debs
Deja Vu

Post by Deja Vu »

If the only issue is the additional behavioural clauses, just remove them. The standard AFL player contract covers this.

You can’t trust clubs to be objective about punishments dished out to their own players. Anything that is a breach of the behavioural clauses should be handled by the AFL anyway
think better
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 29 times

Post by think better »

I am firmly in the "Keep Jordy" camp.

I reckon Fly is the best coach for him and is building a culture that is caring but also has high expectations and accountability. This seems like the right environment for De Goey and I reckon his best footy is still to come.
I think therefore I think - I think
eddiesmith
Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 24 times

Post by eddiesmith »

Culprit wrote:Everyone is tradeable, the offer is fair and reasonable. If he wants to go then get a deal done. You don't want to lose him but you don't want the tail wagging the dog either.
Except as a restricted free agent there is no trade. He walks and Collingwood probably gets pick 16 or so in compensation.