Rucking Duties

This is a Collingwood Bulletin Board - use this forum for general, Pies-related topics. For other footy topics, use Nick's Other AFL forum, and for non-footy sporting topics please use Nick's Sports Bar. For non-sporting topics please use the Victoria Park Tavern.

Moderator: bbmods

Pies4shaw
Has liked: 54 times
Been liked: 87 times

Post by Pies4shaw »

slangman wrote:
jatsad wrote:
Pies4shaw wrote:^ Best ruckman ever in a Collingwood jumper, whether he stays or goes.

Only a halfwit would want him gone.
Best ruckman ever?
I don't think so. Thompson and Moore would have had him for breakfast. They could tap, more agile and even more importantly could take a mark.
Id even throw in Jolly for the short time that he was at Collingwood.
He was pivotal to us winning in 2010 with not only his tap work
And marking but also his ability to kick goals.
That's a joke, right? Jolly isn't in the top 10 Collingwood ruckmen I've seen. I'm grateful for his efforts in 2010 but, really, he was only important because we had no AFL-standard ruck before he arrived.
Pies4shaw

Post by Pies4shaw »

slangman wrote:
Pies4shaw wrote:^ Best ruckman ever in a Collingwood jumper, whether he stays or goes.

I guess Graham Wright is a halfwit then.
Wright wants his contract gone, it seems. That's quite a different thing from all the rubbish that's been posted in this thread to the effect that Grundy isn't up to it and is disinterested.

It was reported a few days ago that Wright considers that Collingwood has twice the salary cap dollars invested in ruckmen that he favours and that he is determined to get the balance he considers to be appropriate urgently. That's fins and makes sense, if that's his plan. I also agree that ruckmen don't have great value in the Coach's game style. Those are both good reasons to move Grundy on - but neither justifies the sort of character assassination and vitriol-throwing in his direction that's been seen in this thread.
slangman
Has liked: 23 times
Been liked: 9 times

Post by slangman »

Pies4shaw wrote:
slangman wrote:

I guess Graham Wright is a halfwit then.
Wright wants his contract gone, it seems. That's quite a different thing from all the rubbish that's been posted in this thread to the effect that Grundy isn't up to it and is disinterested.

It was reported a few days ago that Wright considers that Collingwood has twice the salary cap dollars invested in ruckmen that he favours and that he is determined to get the balance he considers to be appropriate urgently. That's fins and makes sense, if that's his plan. I also agree that ruckmen don't have great value in the Coach's game style. Those are both good reasons to move Grundy on - but neither justifies the sort of character assassination and vitriol-throwing in his direction that's been seen in this thread.
I don’t think that the majority on here have been character assassinating.
Most of the posts that I have read were basically agreeing with Graham Wright and we’re not saying that Grundy is a hack or is useless.
Most on here agree that grundy is a very good player but his contract is the issue. If he was on 600k x 4 years we wouldn’t even be discussing him leaving.
- Side By Side -
slangman

Post by slangman »

Pies4shaw wrote:
slangman wrote:
jatsad wrote: Best ruckman ever?
I don't think so. Thompson and Moore would have had him for breakfast. They could tap, more agile and even more importantly could take a mark.
That's a joke, right? Jolly isn't in the top 10 Collingwood ruckmen I've seen. I'm grateful for his efforts in 2010 but, really, he was only important because we had no AFL-standard ruck before he arrived.
Last 50 years:
Monkhorst, Thompson, Moore, Fraser, Grundy.

I’d love you to round out the other five who were better than Jolly.
- Side By Side -
eddiesmith
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 16 times

Post by eddiesmith »

Definitely wouldn’t rate Fraser above Jolly!
Pies4shaw

Post by Pies4shaw »

Off the top of my head, I would have all of David Cloke, Jenkin, Fellowes, Gabelich and Mann ahead of him.
slangman

Post by slangman »

Pies4shaw wrote:Off the top of my head, I would have all of David Cloke, Jenkin, Fellowes, Gabelich and Mann ahead of him.
Any further back and we’d be talking about Syd Coventry.

Never watched Jenkin, Gabelich or Mann but have only see black and white footage.
I disagree with David Cloke and Wes Fellowes.
- Side By Side -
slangman

Post by slangman »

Pies4shaw wrote:Off the top of my head, I would have all of David Cloke, Jenkin, Fellowes, Gabelich and Mann ahead of him.
Any further back and we’d be talking about Syd Coventry.

Never watched Jenkin, Gabelich or Mann but have only see black and white footage.
I disagree with David Cloke and Wes Fellowes.
- Side By Side -
Pies4shaw

Post by Pies4shaw »

^ I said he wasn't in the best 10 Collingwood ruckmen I'd seen - it was you who wanted to confine it to the past 50 years.
slangman

Post by slangman »

Pies4shaw wrote:^ I said he wasn't in the best 10 Collingwood ruckmen I'd seen - it was you who wanted to confine it to the past 50 years.
Either way I wouldn’t have Cloke or Fellowes (and possibly even Fraser) before Jolly.
- Side By Side -
stui magpie
Has liked: 71 times
Been liked: 73 times

Post by stui magpie »

Pies4shaw wrote:
jatsad wrote:

Best ruckman ever?
You're entitled to your view - but I disagree. Neither Thompson nor Moore had Grundy's ability to steamroll the midfield. Both were more elegant.
I didn't see enough of Thompson in his prime to make a legitimate comparison but Moore is by far the best Ruckman Collingwood has had in my time watching, daylight second, Grundy probably 3rd.

Yes Grundy can play as a bullocking mid but Moore was a better pure tap ruck, could legitimately play KPF and was an extra midfielder in his own right with his run and carry.

FWIW, post Moore I'd rate Monkey next, followed by Fellowes (Wes), Fraser then Jolly.

Big Wes was mostly serviceable, quite a good tap ruck but had one brilliant season. Fraser could have been the next Moore but was buggered by Malthouse and Jolly, while just a good ordinary grunt ruckman was exactly what we needed in 2010, along with Leigh Brown.
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
Meredith1965

Post by Meredith1965 »

I saw Thompson in his prime. Grundy is a fine player. But I don’t think he was the equal of big Len, who won a Brownlow for a reason, kicked 3-4 goals several times in a final, iirc, and delivered more accurate taps than a morse code station.
qldmagpie67
Been liked: 78 times

Post by qldmagpie67 »

We aren’t replacing Grundy at all
We have 2 component players who may not bring everything Grundy does to the table but in the coaches eyes do enough right to cover for him
If we can add pieces in our midfield to take pressure off Adams and JDG and a tall back and a tall forward then our balance will be much better
Sydney tall forwards didn’t kill us it was there ability to bring it to ground and let there small forwards go to work
Checkers working 1 out doesn’t work he tries his guts out but is often out jumped by much taller opponents
If we can find a back up ruck to go with Cox or Cameron that allows one of them to play forward more
Also a tall back to allow more to play CHB would be great
The dumping of Grundy is mainly about dollars and cents (yes there are other factors no matter what people choose to believe)
Simply put he isn’t worth anywhere near what we have him contracted for

Also people should be mindful Jeff Browne said earlier in the year the club would NEVER pay a large portion of a players salary to play against us ever again (in response to the Treloar drama)
So all this media talk about us paying $300k is driven by Grundy’s management trying to get there new club the best deal
If memory serves me correctly at the time of our last salary cap issue costing us Treloar (Phillips and stephenson weren’t great losses) it was because we front loaded the Grundy deal over years 1-2
This was done at the request of his management
I would say it will likely be closer to $100k we would pay max and our return in terms of trade will be low but we will save loads of cash with him gone
Simple facts is Grundy will be gone we will add some pieces and time will tell if we are a better team in 2023
One thing for certain we won’t be standing still and not trying to make the team better
88MPH

Post by 88MPH »

^^^
No, the ONLY thing that is certain is that through our own stupidity and utter incompetence, we are about to trade out a once-in-a-generation ruckman who has no desire to leave the club.
3KZ is football
Piesnchess
Has liked: 178 times
Been liked: 72 times

Post by Piesnchess »

Pies4shaw wrote:
slangman wrote:
jatsad wrote: Best ruckman ever?

The late great, Len Thompson, Brownlow, was our greatest ever ruckman. Loved watching him, at VP, his tap work, marking, good kick for goal, rarely missed. At 6 ft 7 inches, big man, swift, could run like a rover, fast, was one hell of a ruckman. Second best, was Peter Moore, two Brownlows speak for him. :)
Poverty exists not because we cannot feed the poor, but because we cannot satisfy the rich.

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.