New Bombers CEO quits after One Day

Use this forum for non-Collingwood related footy topics that don't relate specifically to any of the other forums. For non-footy sporting topics please use Nick's Sports Bar and for non-sporting topics please use the Victoria Park Tavern.

Moderator: bbmods

Born to Pie
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 1 time

New Bombers CEO quits after One Day

Post by Born to Pie »

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/new ... 5bn6s.html

Essendon’s new CEO Andrew Thorburn has resigned, The Age has confirmed.
In the end, it's not going to matter how many breaths you took, but how many moments took your breath away
stui magpie
Has liked: 71 times
Been liked: 73 times

Post by stui magpie »

Pretty lousy due diligence by Essendon.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinions but the values of the Church he was on the board of, which by implication he is personally supportive of, are clearly incompatible with those of the AFL and general society.
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
slangman
Has liked: 23 times
Been liked: 9 times

Post by slangman »

stui magpie wrote:Pretty lousy due diligence by Essendon.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinions but the values of the Church he was on the board of, which by implication he is personally supportive of, are clearly incompatible with those of the AFL and general society.
Next stop, Ahmed Saad And the premiership cup ambassador Bacher Houli.
As practicing Muslims their values would also be incompatible with those of the AFL and general society.
- Side By Side -
stui magpie

Post by stui magpie »

You can practice a religion without needing to agree with or adhere to the more extreme views of some clerics. Many people who consider themselves Christian can simultaneously agree with abortion and Gay rights with no internal conflict. People can be Muslim and do the same.

Being on the board, Chairman I believe, of an organisation that actively promotes such beliefs as have been reported, just doesn't work compatibly with the AFL.
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
swoop42
Been liked: 3 times

Post by swoop42 »

I wrote a while back that I could see parallels between the administration of the Essendon Football Club and the Victorian Liberal Party.

I'm sticking with that.
He's mad. He's bad. He's MaynHARD!
Presti35
Has liked: 163 times
Been liked: 59 times

Post by Presti35 »

You could only imagine what they'd be thinking if they did manage to get Clarko over North.
A Goal Saved Is 2 Goals Earned!
slangman

Post by slangman »

stui magpie wrote:Being on the board, Chairman I believe, of an organisation that actively promotes such beliefs as have been reported, just doesn't work compatibly with the AFL.
That’s cherry picking.
He is quoted as saying that he didn’t agree with everything that the church has ever said.
The views on homosexuality in Islam are well known so as soon as any Muslim player enters a mosque, he or she would then by default agree with everything that Islam teachers, unless they state otherwise. I have not heard any objections from any current or former players.

Should Hannen Zreika be permitted to play after her very public refusal to wear the Giants pride jumper last year??

I suspect that Charlie Hebdo is behind all of the hypocrisy across the AFL and society as a whole and quite frankly, it’s bloody disgusting!!
- Side By Side -
stui magpie

Post by stui magpie »

The individual beliefs of a player are are different matter to the CEO of an organisation and should be managed differently.
slangman

Post by slangman »

stui magpie wrote:The individual beliefs of a player are are different matter to the CEO of an organisation and should be managed differently.
So you will condone certain controversial religious beliefs dependent on one’s position?
I find that bizarre tbh.
- Side By Side -
Jezza
Has liked: 128 times
Been liked: 191 times

Post by Jezza »

Fair points Slangman.

If I was Essendon, I'd be more concerned about Thorburn's time at NAB rather than his personal beliefs.
🏆 | 1902 | 1903 | 1910 | 1917 | 1919 | 1927 | 1928 | 1929 | 1930 | 1935 | 1936 | 1953 | 1958 | 1990 | 2010 | 2023 | 🏆
What'sinaname
Has liked: 2 times

Post by What'sinaname »

stui magpie wrote:You can practice a religion without needing to agree with or adhere to the more extreme views of some clerics. Many people who consider themselves Christian can simultaneously agree with abortion and Gay rights with no internal conflict. People can be Muslim and do the same.

Being on the board, Chairman I believe, of an organisation that actively promotes such beliefs as have been reported, just doesn't work compatibly with the AFL.
How much outrage would there have been if Essendon appointed a Muslim female as CEO?

Would Tim Baxter have cancelled his membership and what sort of reaction would people have had to that. Would he get the same support cancelling his membership because of the appointment of a minority female?
stui magpie

Post by stui magpie »

Assuming she was suitably qualified for the job, why would there be any outrage?
What'sinaname
Has liked: 2 times

Post by What'sinaname »

^ same facts, associated with a Mosque who's cleric has strong views about homosexuality and abortion.

Or would we not even find out as that's a no go zone?
Fighting against the objectification of woman.
stui magpie

Post by stui magpie »

Depending on the level of association.

The Catholic Church has a strong stance on Homosexuality and abortion, that doesn't mean that all catholics should be tarred with he views of the church.

This bloke wasn't just a religious churchgoer, he was/is chairman of the board of a church that promoted these views. He had the option to choose to step down from the chairman role to take up the CEO role and chose not to.

If a Female Muslim was on the "board" or equivalent of a mosque that promoted extreme views, I would say it would be the same situation.
Born to Pie
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 1 time

Post by Born to Pie »

stui magpie wrote:Assuming she was suitably qualified for the job, why would there be any outrage?
Lawyers agree with you Stui: "“Based on media reports there’s a prima facie case of religious discrimination,” lawyer Josh Bornstein said. “You can’t contract out of anti-discrimination law.”

https://www.theage.com.au/national/aust ... 5bn5t.html
In the end, it's not going to matter how many breaths you took, but how many moments took your breath away