Things that make you go.......WTF? Part II

Nick's current affairs & general discussion about anything that's not sport.
Voice your opinion on stories of interest to all at Nick's.

Moderator: bbmods

stui magpie
Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 74 times

Post by stui magpie »

came back from Toc today, some of the potholes on the GV Freeway are fkn unreal. :shock: They've been doing repair work but you still get a few really deep bastards and some of them re side by side so you can't dodge them and stay in your lane, you have to either get half in the emergency lane, or if that's buggered, half into the right lane.

Only hit one, thought for a second I'd ripped the front wheel off but all good, never hd to concentrate on the road that much, ever. Some of them you just can't see until you're right on top of them, then it's a quick slalom.
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
eddiesmith
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 16 times

Post by eddiesmith »

I luckily only hit one today heading back the back way as it was sitting perfectly in the shade of a tree...
What'sinaname
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 9 times

Post by What'sinaname »

Not sure why Islamic terrorists are allowed back into Australia.
Fighting against the objectification of woman.
stui magpie

Post by stui magpie »

^

If you mean the women and their kids, don't have a problem with it.

Young people can do stupid things, let em come home but keep a close watch on them just in case.
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
What'sinaname

Post by What'sinaname »

^ nup. They made a choice and choice was extreme. It wasn't as if they uprooted to become Mormons in Salt Lake City or the Amish in Pennsylvania.

They chose Islamic State which is a hatred of everything that Australia embodies.
Fighting against the objectification of woman.
stui magpie

Post by stui magpie »

They made a choice when they were young and stupid. They didn't kill anyone, no need for that choice to mess up the rest of their lives if it doesn't have to.
David
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 35 times

Post by David »

Great news and long overdue. Hopefully they can rebuild their lives and get the support they likely need after some (I'm guessing) pretty traumatic experiences.
"Every time we witness an injustice and do not act, we train our character to be passive in its presence." – Julian Assange
What'sinaname

Post by What'sinaname »

stui magpie wrote:They made a choice when they were young and stupid. They didn't kill anyone, no need for that choice to mess up the rest of their lives if it doesn't have to.
A leopard doesn't change its spots.
stui magpie

Post by stui magpie »

So people can't grow up and learn and change?
watt price tully

Post by watt price tully »

The ridiculous application of heritage laws:

Not my council but I do swim at the Harold Holt Memorial Swimming Pool:

https://www.theage.com.au/national/vict ... 5bv7v.html

Bloody waste of money.
“I even went as far as becoming a Southern Baptist until I realised they didn’t keep ‘em under long enough” Kinky Friedman
think positive
Has liked: 216 times
Been liked: 86 times

Post by think positive »

Hubby: can you have a look for me on Netflix, ABC radio advertised a new series, you can’t stop watching it, it’s 10 episodes.
Me ok, name? Him, can’t remember, me, what’s it about, can’t remember, who’s in it, one aussie, who, can’t remember, not sure if it was Netflix

No I don’t know either
You cant fix stupid, turns out you cant quarantine it either!
David
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 35 times

Post by David »

Reminds me of my days working in the DVD section at JB Hi-Fi. Always liked a challenge trying to find films for customers with limited information, but some people sure don't make it easy for you!

Another common occurrence that sticks in my memory:

Customer: "Do you have that old movie where..."
Me: *mentally preparing to direct them to the classics section, assuming they're after Roman Holiday or something*
Customer: "... Adam Sandler tries to learn golf?"
"Every time we witness an injustice and do not act, we train our character to be passive in its presence." – Julian Assange
think positive
Has liked: 216 times
Been liked: 86 times

Post by think positive »

hehehe!
You cant fix stupid, turns out you cant quarantine it either!
What'sinaname

Post by What'sinaname »

Population is expected to surpass 8 billion on Nov 15.

Population is expected to reach about 10.5 billion before it starts to decline.
stui magpie

Post by stui magpie »

Sitting out on my back Verandah in Toc this morning, having some breakfast after my walk, suddenly I see a bloke on a ridermower mowing my naturestrips. :?

There's any number of mowing services up here, but they all have a big ute with a trailer that they transport their equipment to the customers, this bloke is just on the mower, when he finishes mine, he drives it down the road and mows another one, then another one.

We have big naturestrips up here, with mostly no footpaths on them. On a corner block, my 2 are each about 25x4 metres, I've noticed that sometimes when I come up someone's moved them but had NFI why. Mum reckons he works for the council, just rides around randomly mowing naturestrips.

The ground up here though is seriousy sodden. Dug a plant out today to move it and put another there and 8 inches down it's just mud. I've never seen it like this in my life. Usually, even in winter, below the top 2 inches the ground is like rock. Now, it's so full of moisture it just can't absorb anymore. I'd usually need to have hoses going on a timer from the start of spring, but I coiled them up back in May and haven't set them up again which is ridiculous for late November.