#37 Oleg Markov

This is a Collingwood Bulletin Board - use this forum for general, Pies-related topics. For other footy topics, use Nick's Other AFL forum, and for non-footy sporting topics please use Nick's Sports Bar. For non-sporting topics please use the Victoria Park Tavern.

Moderator: bbmods

RudeBoy
Been liked: 73 times

Post by RudeBoy »

He's clearly been recruited as a depth player. That's important, both to maintain competition for spots as well as to provide insurance in the face of injuries. Whether he plays many or any senior games for us is irrelevant. The important thing is he gives us greater depth.

I hope I'm wrong, but sadly, it must be doubtful that Charlie Dean will ever make it as an AFL player.
piedys
Has liked: 281 times
Been liked: 66 times

Post by piedys »

RudeBoy wrote:He's clearly been recruited as a depth player. That's important, both to maintain competition for spots as well as to provide insurance in the face of injuries. Whether he plays many or any senior games for us is irrelevant. The important thing is he gives us greater depth.
I'm thinking his skillset is identical to Johnny Noble; if Noble goes down, we will need like-for-like run from HB to replace him. Practical selection indeed.
RudeBoy wrote: I hope I'm wrong, but sadly, it must be doubtful that Charlie Dean will ever make it as an AFL player.
Time will tell; just get him on the road to recovery and we'll go from there.
M I L L A N E 4 2 forever
Take_a_Screamer
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 12 times

Post by Take_a_Screamer »

Just a bit of trivia.
I remembered "Markov Chains" when learning maths
Here is his grandaddy. Andrey Markov
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ash Johnson...you beauty
Johnson Screamer @ https://www.afl.com.au/video/931485/joh ... -epic-mark? ❤️️
Pebbles Rocks

Post by Pebbles Rocks »

Born to Pie wrote:I would not be worrying about his foot skills too much:

Oleg Markov 2016 - 2022 average disposals - 14.6 @ a disposal efficiency of 76.1%,

over the same period:

Scott Pendlebury 2016 - 2022 average disposals - 25.8 @ a disposal efficiency of 74.7%,

Yes he won't get it as much as Pendles but uses it just as well
The disposal efficiency of defenders versus midfielders is a very misleading stat. Midfielders typically kick under a lot more pressure. I remember a few years ago Jack Frost (our fullback) had one of the best disposal efficiency %'s in the AFL yet he was an ordinary kick. In fact, almost every player in the top 100 most efficient disposers of the footy last year was a defender. Nuf said... https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_ ... t=LA&st=EP
"You must be a parking ticket, cuz you got fine written all over you" Glen Quagmire
Born to Pie
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 1 time

Post by Born to Pie »

Pebbles Rocks wrote:The disposal efficiency of defenders versus midfielders is a very misleading stat. Midfielders typically kick under a lot more pressure.
A good defence needs players with good disposal, defenders have less pressure because of what? Defenders dispose poorly and opposition scores result. No pressure there.

Markov fits well if needed in our defensive unit with DE at 76.1%

Collingwood defence DE% 2022:

Darcy Moore 84.53%
Jeremy Howe 83.42%
John Noble 79.77%
Isaac Quaynor 76.22%
Nick Daicos 75.62%
Scott Pendlebury 74.96%
Nathan Murphy 74.70%
Brayden Maynard 73.77%
In the end, it's not going to matter how many breaths you took, but how many moments took your breath away
Pies2016
Been liked: 87 times

Post by Pies2016 »

We can all get a bit caught up with disposal efficiency percentages. Deep defenders will play it a bit safer than defenders who are further up the ground taking the quick kick into the forward line. Obviously good disposal is a priority but good decision making is equally as important. That’s a part of the game that is a bit more harder to measure statistically. There’s not much point to hitting a team mate on the chest 20 metres away laterally if the right decision was a player by himself 50 metres further up the ground.
Gary Player “ the harder I practice, the luckier I get “
Born to Pie

Post by Born to Pie »

Pies2016 wrote:We can all get a bit caught up with disposal efficiency percentages. Deep defenders will play it a bit safer than defenders who are further up the ground taking the quick kick into the forward line. Obviously good disposal is a priority but good decision making is equally as important. That’s a part of the game that is a bit more harder to measure statistically. There’s not much point to hitting a team mate on the chest 20 metres away laterally if the right decision was a player by himself 50 metres further up the ground.

True, but the decision making is nothing without ability to dispose as the player intends, we've all said it for years we need players with the skills, to be able to hit a target.

First thing is the decision making, the second thing is the disposal. If the intent is right but you can't dispose well it's a dead argument.

Who you rather with the ball Tay or Pendles?

The whole point is earlier in the post someone questioned his ball skills. Statistically speaking he's fine, and lets no forget he has played 51 games, he's shown he can do it.
In the end, it's not going to matter how many breaths you took, but how many moments took your breath away
Pebbles Rocks

Post by Pebbles Rocks »

Born to Pie wrote:
A good defence needs players with good disposal, defenders have less pressure because of what? Defenders dispose poorly and opposition scores result. No pressure there.
Ok, of course good disposal is important but you compared Oleg to Pendles??Surely you would concede you should have compared Oleg to another line breaking half back? Comparable players would be Saad, Jiath, Noble, McGrath,etc

Also most guys who rank above 85% tend to play pretty safe footy. They are not key distributors for their team so a lot of the time they are offloading to those guys who do the damage..
"You must be a parking ticket, cuz you got fine written all over you" Glen Quagmire
inxs88
Been liked: 4 times

Post by inxs88 »

Wait, just wait. Markov is the new Jordan Russell
I love the Pies, hate Carlscum
Born to Pie

Post by Born to Pie »

Pebbles Rocks wrote:Ok, of course good disposal is important but you compared Oleg to Pendles??
Actually I compared his DE% to Pendles
lazzadesilva
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 51 times

Post by lazzadesilva »

inxs88 wrote:Wait, just wait. Markov is the new Jordan Russell
Nah, crapola dude
I term the current Collingwood attack based strategy “Unceasing Waves” like on a stormy and windy day with rough seas. A Perfect Storm ☔️
LaurieHolden
Has liked: 148 times
Been liked: 151 times

Post by LaurieHolden »

inxs88 wrote:Wait, just wait. Markov is the new Jordan Russell
Hoping it'll be more like former no.1 pick Alex McDonald, without the career ending injuries.
"The Club's not Jock, Ted and Gerry" (& Eddie)
2023 AFL Premiers
Pebbles Rocks

Post by Pebbles Rocks »

Born to Pie wrote:
Pebbles Rocks wrote:Ok, of course good disposal is important but you compared Oleg to Pendles??
Cmon. really?
Born to Pie

Post by Born to Pie »

Pebbles Rocks wrote:
Born to Pie wrote:
Cmon. really?
"I would not be worrying about his foot skills too much:

Oleg Markov 2016 - 2022 average disposals - 14.6 @ a disposal efficiency of 76.1%,

over the same period:

Scott Pendlebury 2016 - 2022 average disposals - 25.8 @ a disposal efficiency of 74.7%,

Yes he won't get it as much as Pendles but uses it just as well"

Yep really, in response to someone questioning his skills, yep GTFU
watt price tully

Post by watt price tully »

Radio interview with Oleg the travelling moustache on radio RSN this morning. Good luck to him:

https://podcasts.apple.com/au/podcast/b ... 0599432665
“I even went as far as becoming a Southern Baptist until I realised they didn’t keep ‘em under long enough” Kinky Friedman