#20 Ash Johnson

This is a Collingwood Bulletin Board - use this forum for general, Pies-related topics. For other footy topics, use Nick's Other AFL forum, and for non-footy sporting topics please use Nick's Sports Bar. For non-sporting topics please use the Victoria Park Tavern.

Moderator: bbmods

themonk

Post by themonk »

Boot wrote:I like the idea of a 3-prong tall attack of Mihocek, McStay and Ash "Majic" Johnston, but I'm just struggling to get him into my best 23.
Johnston certainly burst onto the scene in impressive fashion last year with some exciting forward play and some terrific kicking for goal. At one stage last year soon after his debut he was being compared with Phil Carman!
Unfortunately he was curtailed in the last few games with a sore hip injury and had a poor game in the Preliminary Final loss to Sydney.
If he can regain full fitness and confidence he certainly offers a bit of X-Factor to a forward line that oozes class and skill.
It will be fascinating to see how Fly McRae sets up our forward line to take full advantage of the skill available to him.
Sore hip! then why not play Henry?

If true did this decision cost us a flag & potential star?
WhyPhilWhy?
Has liked: 24 times
Been liked: 25 times

Post by WhyPhilWhy? »

themonk wrote:...did this decision cost us a flag & potential star?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Boot
Been liked: 3 times

Post by Boot »

themonk wrote:
Boot wrote:I like the idea of a 3-prong tall attack of Mihocek, McStay and Ash "Majic" Johnston, but I'm just struggling to get him into my best 23.
Johnston certainly burst onto the scene in impressive fashion last year with some exciting forward play and some terrific kicking for goal. At one stage last year soon after his debut he was being compared with Phil Carman!
Unfortunately he was curtailed in the last few games with a sore hip injury and had a poor game in the Preliminary Final loss to Sydney.
If he can regain full fitness and confidence he certainly offers a bit of X-Factor to a forward line that oozes class and skill.
It will be fascinating to see how Fly McRae sets up our forward line to take full advantage of the skill available to him.
Sore hip! then why not play Henry?

If true did this decision cost us a flag & potential star?
Unfortunately Oliver Henry was destined to ask for a transfer back to Geelong very early into season 2022 i.e. as soon as he put off a decision to resign till the end of the season was always a warning sign. Also you may recall that Henry broke his hand in the VFL at the end of the season so a reason why he didn't replace the sore Ash Johnston was he wasn't 100% fit with a broken hand so its doubtful he would have done any better than Johnston in the finals last year.
It will always annoy me to see any success that Oliver Henry has at AFL level and I fear he will be a very good player for Geelong as he demonstrated very early from the first season he started at Collingwood that he is a very talented footballer. Just one of the few good players to ever want to leave Collingwood once there.
Collingwood Domination. Envy of the Nation!
masoncox
Been liked: 3 times

Post by masoncox »

Apparently stays up most of the night playing video games.
Sometimes turns up late for training.
Some players aren't that happy with him.
As I said he needs a mentor.
piedys
Has liked: 281 times
Been liked: 66 times

Post by piedys »

Jezza wrote:I don't think he's in the starting 22 if everyone is fit.

He was non-existent in the Sydney prelim when it was crunch time.
It was that idiotic around the corner kick directly in front of goal in Q1 against Geelong in QF that set me off, just when we were on the cusp of breaking them.

You should have heard me lose my shit at that on TV broadcast...
M I L L A N E 4 2 forever
Harrysz
Been liked: 4 times

Where in the world is Ash Johnson?

Post by Harrysz »

Apparently he hasn't been seen on the training track for some time, but he's not listed as injured.

Does anyone know what's going on?
stui magpie
Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 74 times

Post by stui magpie »

He was at training today, on the white team in match sim playing on Maynard.
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
Harrysz
Been liked: 4 times

Post by Harrysz »

Thanks Stui
Piesnchess
Has liked: 178 times
Been liked: 72 times

Post by Piesnchess »

We are a better side, with him and Jack back in, more potent up forward.
Poverty exists not because we cannot feed the poor, but because we cannot satisfy the rich.

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
Bucks5
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 11 times

Post by Bucks5 »

How was he looking? I read another forum that he came back from the off season in poor shape.
How would Siri know when to answer "Hey Siri" unless it is listening in to everything you say?
piffdog
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 37 times

Post by piffdog »

Piesnchess wrote:We are a better side, with him and Jack back in, more potent up forward.
Better side with him in playing to his potential... Saw some great patches last year. Clearly has the talent, but appears to lack the application (so far)
It's never as good/nor bad as it seems...
watt price tully

Post by watt price tully »

piffdog wrote:
Piesnchess wrote:We are a better side, with him and Jack back in, more potent up forward.
Better side with him in playing to his potential... Saw some great patches last year. Clearly has the talent, but appears to lack the application (so far)
On what basis after playing a handful of games can you say Ash Johnston appears to “lack the application” ? :shock:
“I even went as far as becoming a Southern Baptist until I realised they didn’t keep ‘em under long enough” Kinky Friedman
piffdog
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 37 times

Post by piffdog »

watt price tully wrote:
piffdog wrote:
On what basis after playing a handful of games can you say Ash Johnston appears to “lack the application” ? :shock:

Maybe I chose the wrong words. We’ve seen him do some great things (tick) but the fact he didn’t get drafted at a conventional age, then eventually got picked up as a mature ager and now doesn’t appear to be in our best team yet isn’t injured •suggests• he isn’t able to convert talent into consistency or performance or whatever it is that is keeping him from being selected. Add that to the gossip that he came back from the break not in great shape (in fairness I can’t confirm that as fact) and I am left to conclude he isn’t applying himself.

It’s not the handful of games - in fact the glimpses in those is what is convincing me he has heaps of talent - but why isn’t he in the team? Why didn’t he get picked up as a younger guy? He hasn’t just amassed this “talent” in the last 2-3 years, I suspect he has been gifted since he was 12 or 15… for some reason (and maybe it’s because he wasn’t as visible as Melbourne based private schools boys..??) though, whatever god-given brilliance he has wasn’t and still isn’t enough to get him into someone’s best 23 (23 nowadays?).

For the record I think he is super exciting and I hope he can maybe supplant someone like checkers who I think is a blunt instrument who is all application and a bit of talent. Time will tell.
It's never as good/nor bad as it seems...
LaurieHolden
Has liked: 151 times
Been liked: 152 times

PIES GOALKICKER BEING TRACKED

Post by LaurieHolden »

"The Club's not Jock, Ted and Gerry" (& Eddie)
2023 AFL Premiers
LaurieHolden
Has liked: 151 times
Been liked: 152 times

Post by LaurieHolden »

Spent some time in defence today. Might the Club have seen something that will fill the Howe void?
With that leap and wingspan, it'd prove a real headache for defenders.

With Cameron and McStay to come back, maybe the coaches are looking to see if Ash can offer us some further positional options as his career unfolds.
"The Club's not Jock, Ted and Gerry" (& Eddie)
2023 AFL Premiers