Things that make you go.......WTF? Part II

Nick's current affairs & general discussion about anything that's not sport.
Voice your opinion on stories of interest to all at Nick's.

Moderator: bbmods

stui magpie
Has liked: 71 times
Been liked: 73 times

Post by stui magpie »

to be fair to Waleed, he didn't laugh at the joke but he smiled and stayed low. The apology the next night was forced by Channel 10 after a barrage of complaints, so I'd say he's blameless in this.

This guy uses the same joke in his stand up comedy routine. I guess he's smarter than to make a similar joke about Mohammed.
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
What'sinaname
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 9 times

Post by What'sinaname »

This is OK, but imagine the faux outrage if a white actor said the same thing.

https://twitter.com/EndWokeness/status/ ... 79721?s=20
Fighting against the objectification of woman.
David
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 35 times

Post by David »

"Every time we witness an injustice and do not act, we train our character to be passive in its presence." – Julian Assange
stui magpie

Post by stui magpie »

Considering all talk in past years about the Oscars being white people giving awards to white people, having a black actor saying they are hoping for anyone Black to win something is hardly controversial. It's almost a form of affirmative action.

If a white actor said they were hoping for anyone white, they'd be denounced as a racist and cancelled, mostly deservedly on principle for being an idiot.
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
What'sinaname

Post by What'sinaname »

So minorities aren't racist even when they say idiot things.
David
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 35 times

Post by David »

Well said, Stui.

What’sinaname, racism’s defining attribute is that it doesn’t exist in a vacuum. It’s something moulded and reflected by societal structures. It’s like when people ask why gay pride marches exist but not straight pride marches: you can understand why these things exist by considering the inverse, or what kind of situation might have existed for gay people to need to feel pride (rather than shame or self-loathing) for their sexuality.

Treating these things differently is far more than just some indulgence being extended to minority groups; it’s about understanding why someone would feel that way. Just like no straight person has ever deeply felt the need to join a straight pride march, most white people don’t particularly care if a white actor wins an award because that’s never been all that much of a novelty for us. So it wouldn’t be all that unreasonable to suspect that some other motivations were at play if a white person said something like this. But it’s also not all that interesting a hypothetical because it’s hard to understand why anyone would.
"Every time we witness an injustice and do not act, we train our character to be passive in its presence." – Julian Assange
stui magpie

Post by stui magpie »

I was wandering through JB today, killing some time and they had 95" TV's on sale. :shock:

Fkn things were huge. The measurement is on the diagonal, that's an inch short of 8 feet. Thing was the size of 2 doors together, on their side.

I can't imagine a TV that big in my house, let alone would it fit.
LaurieHolden
Has liked: 150 times
Been liked: 152 times

Post by LaurieHolden »

stui magpie wrote:I was wandering through JB today, killing some time and they had 95" TV's on sale. :shock:

Fkn things were huge. The measurement is on the diagonal, that's an inch short of 8 feet. Thing was the size of 2 doors together, on their side.

I can't imagine a TV that big in my house, let alone would it fit.
Would have been great for Round 23, and for subsequent replays...
"The Club's not Jock, Ted and Gerry" (& Eddie)
2023 AFL Premiers
think positive
Has liked: 212 times
Been liked: 85 times

Post by think positive »

So I might be a tad obsessed with ring cameras! The brand not the orifice!

I have one in my chook pen, so I can say good morning and good night when I’m not there!

Don’t usually see much ant the beach house except people walking off the pavement (you can draw a line so that anyone on the footpath isn’t picked up).

I stayed there Tuesday night, checked the cams last night, and noticed a couple of alerts I missed! 2 little kids rock up at 3.30 wed arvo, one on a scooter, the other climbs of his bike that has training wheels, and goes and checks the door handle. Twice. It’s locked he says. And goes and peers through the side gate - on the next camera. Then they both do some joyriding in our driveway. 1/2 hour later they are back, both on scooters, guess the training wheels were too much, a bit more riding, then they took off.

Little . Cant wait to show their parents, and tell them here’s a hint, if you want them to be successful criminals later in life, pick the houses without cameras! Because although many are fake, not all of em are!

Training damn wheels! They must have been 7 or 8 at the most! Pricks!
You cant fix stupid, turns out you cant quarantine it either!
think positive

Post by think positive »

So they came back this arvo, trying to knock off a bird thing from a ceramic picture my father-in-law made, that’s in our front yard. I hit the siren and screamed at them, they took off like a rocket! Arrived here 1 hour later and went for a walk. Tracked em down via my neighbour 100 metres down the rd in a court. Apparently they zig zag down the street all over the place, no shoes, the youngest couldn’t be older than 5, I reckon the other is 7. Dad was out the front, I think he had an inkling something was up. I said hi, do you have 2 little boys that ride scooters? Yep. Well I’m sorry but I have some security footage to show you, they tried to get into my house, and they came back twice. I told him I hit the siren and called them little arseholes! I said sorry but I was pretty pissed off! Told him I wouldn’t do anything with the footage, but I wouldn’t delete it, I just don’t want them to come back, and also, the next person might not be so understanding, they could get hurt. I thought he was going to burst into tears, said he would up their medication and lock them in the house. WTAF! Geezus. I said I’m sorry they have issues, and I hope it gets better, shook hands and left.

I thought I handled it well, something had to be said, but omg, how damn sad.
stui magpie

Post by stui magpie »

FWIW I think you handled it fine. The behaviour combined with the mention of medication sounds like it's ADHD. I don't like the "lock them in the house" bit though.

So these cameras' you get an alert on your phone and you can use your phone to see what's going on and actually speak into your phone and it comes out a speaker? :shock:

Where'd you get them?
think positive

Post by think positive »

stui magpie wrote:FWIW I think you handled it fine. The behaviour combined with the mention of medication sounds like it's ADHD. I don't like the "lock them in the house" bit though.

So these cameras' you get an alert on your phone and you can use your phone to see what's going on and actually speak into your phone and it comes out a speaker? :shock:

Where'd you get them?
https://ring.com/au/en/?original_referr ... ing.com%2F

my SIL bought us one when we built the indented heads house, she had one on her new house and was able to show the police a video of a guy who had been stealing hot water services in her area.

At the beach house i have the doorbell, plus a chime upstairs so we can hear it there, and also talk into it. i have the battery one as we didnt wire for a doorbell, it has a tamper proof screw system. Plus security lights over the driveway/backyard which also has a camera, thats the one i hit the siren on. we also have a camera inside we switch on when we leave the dogs to go to the beach, so we can see them all day!

we also have a full set at the new place i bought when they had a black Friday sale, 20% off everything. I can see them all on my phone and my ipad, and i can invite others to view too. its about $120 a year to have the videos saved, which is dirt cheap, and even at night the vision is spotless.

If the doorbell rings i can answer and say sorry, im in the bath or something, so they dont know if your home. Or you can little shits to piss off home!!!

they connect ridiculously easily, barcode or you press a button, its seamless. you can also do geofencing so that someone on the footpath doesnt trigger it. worth every cent!!

and thanks mate, i reckon i did too! hopefully they stay clean and safe, the traffic has tripled, and they were zig zaging on the road. cheers
stui magpie

Post by stui magpie »

Wow, thanks, I had a look at the link, might invest in some.
think positive

Post by think positive »

stui magpie wrote:Wow, thanks, I had a look at the link, might invest in some.
they are really good, over the years we have had a couple of systems at this house, none come close to ease of use and clarity of picture. i have both wired and battery, they come in black or white, so they are very easy to hide, and unless you look you can't see them, (ie in the garage!! lots of garages getting hit!! you can see an intruder coming, or who stole the kingswood!!)

also good evidence for your insurance company and the cops if need be.

but my big thing is, and this is why I use the sticker that comes with it; if someone is casing for an easy house they will walk past the one with cameras, especially if there is a light on them that's shows they are more than likely connected, and hit the next, unprotected house.
What'sinaname

Post by What'sinaname »

^ look at EUFY (you can get them at Supercheap Auto and JB). Unlike Ring, they don't require a continual subscription which you need to keep video footage.
Fighting against the objectification of woman.