Rucking Duties

This is a Collingwood Bulletin Board - use this forum for general, Pies-related topics. For other footy topics, use Nick's Other AFL forum, and for non-footy sporting topics please use Nick's Sports Bar. For non-sporting topics please use the Victoria Park Tavern.

Moderator: bbmods

What'sinaname
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 9 times

Post by What'sinaname »

I've got a way out idea, and it's a really wild idea.....play the ruckman on our list!
Fighting against the objectification of woman.
1eyedpie
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 1 time

Post by 1eyedpie »

Frampton is the answer with Rusco covering for him. Mcstay/ Johnson to relieve ruck. This will maintain our early season structures up forward down back and midfield. Frampton May not win the ruck duels but he may nullify them more and be more useful around the ground with his marking presence.
Never disperse your focus unless absolutely necessary. Face one adversary at a time!

BARRACK HARD!
MatthewBoydFanClub

Post by MatthewBoydFanClub »

They've tried Mihocek in defence before and it hasn't worked. Also, Frampton was tried in the ruck after half time. That didn't work. We're left with two alternatives - Moore or Steene.
stui magpie
Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 74 times

Post by stui magpie »

If we played Moore in the ruck, he would be the best ruckman on our list since his father, but we can't do it. You don't send a Ferrari to plow a field, we need him at CHB.
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
Big T
Been liked: 58 times

Re: Temporary ruck solution...

Post by Big T »

gobbles21 wrote:Although it wasn’t the whole deciding factor, last night showed we need a competent first ruck. Frampton is an AFL ruckman. Unfortunately with Howe down, Will Kelly also injured and Charlie Dean out for the season, we don’t have a lot of flexibility down back to be able to take Frampton out of defence.

Unfortunately I think that means we’re going to have to use Checkers for what we originally drafted him for. As a key defender to release Frampton into the ruck. Or we send McStay back for a few weeks.

It’s less than ideal, but it’s better than being uncompetitive in the ruck all game. A fwd line of Johnson, one of Checkers/McStay, plus all the smalls is still functional a comparative to what we played with all last season.

At the end of the day, last night showed enough that we need to playing with Frampton as first ruck for the next few weeks.
Like this plan
Buon Giorno
Take_a_Screamer
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 12 times

Post by Take_a_Screamer »

Yes, Frampton is the real deal at 201cm!
Replace Frampton at full back with Wilson (194cm). This move has the least disruption.
Or, rather than Wilson, someone a bit bigger and taller from the seconds? Don't know who.

McStay to remain in the fwd line as intended.
Ash Johnson...you beauty
Johnson Screamer @ https://www.afl.com.au/video/931485/joh ... -epic-mark? ❤️️
RudeBoy
Been liked: 73 times

Post by RudeBoy »

I'm not sure that shifting Frampton to the ruck is our best option, but no doubt he could spend some time there. However, it would be disastrous to move Checkers to defence. He is far and away our best forward, and is in good form.

I think we should bring in Wilson, to add a bit of height, and to help spread the ruck load around several players. I'd also bring in Ed Allan, to give us some more height, as were badly beaten in the air last night. Anything we do for the next month or so will just be a bandaid solution. It's not ideal, but if we can manage to win 3 of our next 5 games, we should be right to go on a massive winning streak once we get our rucks back.
ANNODAM
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 28 times

Post by ANNODAM »

No, not Moore in the ruck, huge risk, we need him at CHB.
WE WERE ROBBED, RIGHT IN FRONT OF ME, RIGHT IN FRONT OF MEEE!

N.Y METS, N.Y GIANTS, PENRITH PANTHERS & HOBART HURRICANES FAN.

WE ALL LOOK GOOD AT TRAINING, IT'S THE MATCHES THAT COUNT!
inxs88
Been liked: 4 times

Post by inxs88 »

McStay's resolve, effort and oomph was an abomination last night!
I love the Pies, hate Carlscum
23 YIPPEE!!!

Post by 23 YIPPEE!!! »

When’s Cox back until we get him back we will not solve this ruck issue
Jezza
Has liked: 128 times
Been liked: 191 times

Post by Jezza »

90 nice wrote:When’s Cox back until we get him back we will not solve this ruck issue
Won't be back for a few more weeks.

Fly confirmed that he'll need to have another scan soon to see how he's progressing.
🏆 | 1902 | 1903 | 1910 | 1917 | 1919 | 1927 | 1928 | 1929 | 1930 | 1935 | 1936 | 1953 | 1958 | 1990 | 2010 | 2023 | 🏆
watt price tully

Post by watt price tully »

Jezza wrote:
90 nice wrote:When’s Cox back until we get him back we will not solve this ruck issue

Fly confirmed that he'll need to have another scan soon to see how he's progressing.
Much as I would prefer is to win I can’t see how Collingwood can win without a Ruckman. It’s not just the centre clearances but around the ground and assisting the defence. That’s why I think we might need to go with OS. StKilda’s Marshall is an excellent mobile and strong ruckman. OS might be thrown to the wolves but the other options risk major structural changes and the consequences that might be associated with them.
“I even went as far as becoming a Southern Baptist until I realised they didn’t keep ‘em under long enough” Kinky Friedman
MatthewBoydFanClub

Post by MatthewBoydFanClub »

I’d prefer playing an actual ruckman like Steene against another ruckman, like Marshall, and watch Marshall dismantle him, than play McStay, who isn’t suited to playing in the ruck, or Frampton, who is just finding his feet as a back man. Reason? Steene has to learn sooner or later. Why not against a quality ruckman like Marshall? Steene could end up being our main ruckman for the next 10 years. Hardening him up against quality ruckmen could accelerate his training at AFL level if it doesn’t destroy him. This will not only be a challenge for Steene, but a challenge for McRae as a coach as well. Interesting next few weeks to watch the team. Just don’t expect the wins to come as easily as the first three.
Magpietothemax
Been liked: 15 times

Post by Magpietothemax »

watt price tully wrote:
Jezza wrote:

Much as I would prefer is to win I can’t see how Collingwood can win without a Ruckman. It’s not just the centre clearances but around the ground and assisting the defence. That’s why I think we might need to go with OS. StKilda’s Marshall is an excellent mobile and strong ruckman. OS might be thrown to the wolves but the other options risk major structural changes and the consequences that might be associated with them.
We need to accept that we won't win the ruck contest, and plan accordingly. I like the idea of a short ""mongrel ' ruck, who just tackles Marshall as soon as he grabs it, and our mids set up ready for Marshall to punch the ball afield. The question is whether the coaches think OS is capable of taking marks and providing a tall option around the field? If he cannot consistently do that at VFL level, then it would seem selecting him in the seniors would just be a waste of one player in the game.
Free Julian Assange!!
Ice in the veins
23 YIPPEE!!!

Post by 23 YIPPEE!!! »

How about this Johnson as key ruck with Frampton.

Reef covers Frampton down back when he goes into the ruck.

Problem solved.

Or have Moore at FB and Reef can go to CHB lets say.

Along we have Murphy who can ruck also.

Keep the forward line set up the way it is.