Random News Stories

Nick's current affairs & general discussion about anything that's not sport.
Voice your opinion on stories of interest to all at Nick's.

Moderator: bbmods

roar
Been liked: 3 times

Post by roar »

Perhaps, because they generally aren't predatory?
kill for collingwood!
David
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 37 times

Post by David »

What'sinaname wrote:And again, a female teacher having sex with a male student get off imprisonment.

It's not as if the industry can't find female teachers. They are everywhere, so why are these predatory females protected?
They're not protected, though. Any teacher found guilty of something like this is obviously going to lose her job and likely any chance of re-entering the profession; she's also going to have a criminal record and I would assume be placed on the sex offender register, which has a range of onerous provisions.

Otherwise of course I agree with roar that one has to take into account the nature and context of the offending, whether or not there was a grooming process and so on. The fact that he was over the age of consent is not a defence (as we've discussed on here regarding such cases in the past), but it's also something the judge was right to factor in. You can't just treat prison as a one-size-fits-all solution.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/melbou ... ailed.html
Judge Smallwood said he had never dealt with a case involving a teacher where the child wasn't aged under 16.

The experienced judge said he was concerned whether or not Ooms' victim had actually been harmed by their illicit liaisons.

'Often in these situations the harm is what comes from other people after it becomes public,' he said.

Judge Smallwood said while Ooms' victim was a school student, he was not a child aged under 16.

'There has clearly been discussion between he and her about the wrongfulness of it. He nevertheless consents and makes that very clear,' he said.

'He being very close to 17 ... does that go to in any way, shape or form the objective seriousness of the offending?'
"Every time we witness an injustice and do not act, we train our character to be passive in its presence." – Julian Assange
stui magpie
Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 74 times

Post by stui magpie »

Most 16 year old boys would have carried a barely concealed weapon pver a female teacher. My 16 year old neighbours son got jiggy with his teacher near 20 years ago. She lost her job, he had the shits with his mum for reporting it, left school and left home. Last thing I heard he was a sparky in Qld and hadn't spoken to his mum since then.

Women are less likely to be predatory than males and are more likely to be used to being the object of desire from males, so better equipped to defuse the clumsy advances of a horny 16 year old lothario. Some don't, as in this situation.

She gets punished in accordance with the law. I don't really think it's comparable with a male teacher grooming and basically raping a juvenile girl.
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
David

Post by David »

"Every time we witness an injustice and do not act, we train our character to be passive in its presence." – Julian Assange
stui magpie

Post by stui magpie »

Oh I've seen it work both ways, I'll go back to Highschool in the early 80's.

1 girl in Yr 12 was rooting the arts teacher who's wife worked in the library. Everyone seemed to know about it but nothing happened til the end of the year when he left his wife and took off with her.

Another girl had a part time job that turned into the business owner dumping his wife and kids to shack up with a 17 yr old schoolgirl.

I don't know how their stories ended but at the time, neither of those girls had Victim emblazoned on their forehead. The latter one showed up to the Yr 12 formal wearing an outfit described by most of the other girls as being "Too Adult".
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
pietillidie
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 28 times

Post by pietillidie »

I remember from the growth rates it was likely to happen, but here it is:
Melbourne overtakes Sydney as Australia's biggest city

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-australia-65261720
For the record, few cities beat Melbourne. We drove to Tottenham Hotspur stadium last weekend, and by geez London is ugly. Why anyone (with work choices) would live there is beyond me.

The economy is still preferable here for our lines of work, not to mention I work from home, while obviously the European and local travel options are amazing. But you don't need to live in London to avail yourself of them.

I know that Tatura, where mum lives, is also growing at a pace. Moving up there back when they did has ended up a very good call, and plenty of relatives live up that way, so she's not isolated.
In the end the rain comes down, washes clean the streets of a blue sky town.
Help Nick's: http://www.magpies.net/nick/bb/fundraising.htm
stui magpie

Post by stui magpie »

Tatura. 20 odd km west of Kialla, very close to Shep. Nice place to live. You can keep London.
think positive
Has liked: 216 times
Been liked: 86 times

Post by think positive »

David wrote:I expect he has zero chance of success, but he kind of has a point. Life expectancy often either explicitly or implicitly plays a role in determining retirement age:

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/a ... 8721000810
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2009-05-20/ ... it/1688570

In 2009, we just meekly accepted the retirement age being raised to 67, and the last government considered raising it to 70 (which will no doubt happen anyway sooner or later). Meanwhile, while I was in France earlier this month, I witnessed massive protests and strikes over a proposal to raise the retirement age … from 62 to 64.

https://redflag.org.au/article/french-w ... eads-again

If only we had some of that spirit here.
With life expectancy increasing, 62 is young, depending on super requirements etc, and how good the government is at taxes etc. Greece has a retirement age of 55, it’s a dump, not enough workers to look after the retireees, I was shocked at the state of the place, so sad.

70 is too high, I reckon 65 was about right. I’m not sure if it’s a when you were born thing, but we have been exploring our options, and will start using some super after July 1st. That actually has more to do with last years tax bills than age, but hubby is almost 67 and we are eligible to do it, but there are rules. I’m 60 this year, I think She said I’m eligible to use my portion too after that. (Self managed, it’s in one account).

Is there anyone here who wonders if they have enough super to get them through at a reasonable standard? I guess it depends partly on your age
At the time it became mandatory.

Until we had self managed we didn’t push extra for super because I don’t trust it, I don’t think it’s right the rules can keep changing.
You cant fix stupid, turns out you cant quarantine it either!
think positive
Has liked: 216 times
Been liked: 86 times

Post by think positive »

stui magpie wrote:Tatura. 20 odd km west of Kialla, very close to Shep. Nice place to live. You can keep London.
Parts of London are amazing, the parts that have been updated or cleaned up in the old style, other parts remind me of Venice, it all needs a good clean, and my cousin hates the joint because of the new buildings like that big glass tower thing, which really is a monstrosity and doesn’t fit in at all!

I’m not a fan of cities, not into the crowds, although I have to say Boston is beautiful! I also loved Cologne in Germany. Amazing place. Calgary is really pretty too.
You cant fix stupid, turns out you cant quarantine it either!
What'sinaname
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 9 times

Post by What'sinaname »

The soft on crime Labor government are raising the criminal age to 12 and then to 14.

What could go wrong, right, especially with surging youth crime from teenage gangs.
Fighting against the objectification of woman.
stui magpie

Post by stui magpie »

As a general principle, I absolutely agree with raising the age of criminal responsibility. No 10 year old should be sent to a kids gaol.

The devil is in the detail as usual, you would want to have the ability to mandate counselling or other services, remove them from a toxic environment (which they already have) or provide limits.
David

Post by David »

What'sinaname
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 9 times

Post by What'sinaname »

Prison isn't the only option. But this removes prison as an option.

It's soft and we'll see a huge increase in crime by 10-14 year old.
Fighting against the objectification of woman.
David

Post by David »

Here’s a random news story featuring yours truly:

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/leader/mel ... 43a2691867

If anyone here would like to donate, by the way, anything you can offer would be deeply appreciated. I don’t post about it much on here, but this publication means a lot to me and I’m desperate to do whatever I can to save it: https://www.gofundme.com/f/help-save-au ... ublication
David

Post by David »

A more detailed article on the campaign here:

https://www.artshub.com.au/news/educati ... t-2629951/